• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Estimate Software

thewvsignguy

Long story short, a HDD crash has forced me to get a new estimate program. I had the original Estimate loaded on that HDD and it worked fine for our needs for years.

I am looking at at SignVox and the new Estimate, even though I do not like the idea of paying month to month for something I will never own. I'm leaning on the Estimate side as we speak and will make a decision tomorrow when I pick the computer up and get back to the office.

I would like to know what the actual users think of their respected software, what do you like, love and hate. The price is not so much an issue with SignVox but what will it do that Estimate won't or can't for an additional $90 a month.

The estimate software will be loaded on one central computer with our POS register software (cash register plus by intuit). My wife keeps track of the bookkeeping and she uses Quickbooks, and the POS software exports data directly into Quickbooks.

Keith Jenicek

I would see if you could buy an old version of Estimate 2 that doesn't have a monthly fee. It seems this is an excessive fee, at least to me, for Estimate 2011. That is why we still run on the old version. Since you have used the old version in the past, I would put pressure on Estimate to issue you a new key code.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
you don't need to buy Estimate again, just contact them, they will send you the info to downloading your software again. It's what I had to do.

thewvsignguy

Cool thanks, Last time I called they said no more codes to unlock the software. I'm calling Estimate today and see what my options are regardless.

neil_se

We used Estimate for 18 months and it was a great step from having no system, but eventually we outgrew the Estimate capabilities and stepped up to Signvox 3 months ago which has been great. With 10 employees it worked out cheaper than Estimate, we love having the ability to access it anywhere plus so many other aspects.

javagod

Manager
Printsmith

Has anyone had any luck with Printsmith for estimating wide-format? I use Estimate 2 and struggled to get printsmith to work

Kottwitz-Graphics

Cool thanks, Last time I called they said no more codes to unlock the software. I'm calling Estimate today and see what my options are regardless.

What did they say? I have the the original estimate, and when they started talking about changing, I told was far from happy. I figure that when I pay for software, I should be able to use it for as long as I need, and the only way that it should be stopped is if I outgrow it, not if the company figures that they could get more money by charging a montly fee...

I still have it, and use it a good bit...but if it ever crashes, and they won't supply install codes, then I really gonna be mad...

CanuckSigns

What did they say? I have the the original estimate, and when they started talking about changing, I told was far from happy. I figure that when I pay for software, I should be able to use it for as long as I need, and the only way that it should be stopped is if I outgrow it, not if the company figures that they could get more money by charging a montly fee...

I still have it, and use it a good bit...but if it ever crashes, and they won't supply install codes, then I really gonna be mad...

I emailed them with the same concerns, told them that I will not "rent" software to run my business with, never have, never will. They replied back that they have gotten positive reviews of the new system because owners don't have to put up a large amount of money off the bat,

but I equate it to using one of those rent to own places, sure the monthly payments are small, but you end up paying for the thing 5-10 times in the end.

thewvsignguy

Easy fellas. I was wrong, I emailed Estimate a few days ago trying to prepare myself for the monthly rental fees. BTW I had Version 1 bought back in 1992?? LOL

To my surprise, they (Estimate) told me to install my software first (they even provide a link in case you loose your disk) and then request a new license key once installed. Within 20 minutes after the install I got a reply with the license key.

Once I installed the key to unlock the program, I noticed that my backup file did not work. The IT guys copied all the data from the fried HDD to the new drive so I still had the old Estimate folder with my materials, substrates, customers and estimates. I could see all the old information but could not get it to copy over to the new drive. I emailed Estimate back and told them my dilemma, I received a email 20 minutes later stating.....

"Hello Sean,

Try this article and see if it gives you the guidance you need.

How do I restore my EstiMate folder I backed up to CD? (link)

I want to take this opportunity to mention that as of 9/15/09 we are no longer technically supporting Version 1. We will always provide a key, but if you wish to add any additional components or need technical support, we will ask you to upgrade.

You may find the answer to your issue in our extensive knowledgebase articles. "

The information in the knowledge base saved me from hours of setting Estimate back up. I spent most of the day dealing with our stupid, POS time clock software, paid them $30 for support at 1pm this afternoon and as of 8:57 still no reply from those lazy MF'ers! So I was pretty much ticked off and ready to jump down any ones throat.

It was a pleasure dealing with Nancy Peterson and the crew from Estimate, support has always gone a long way in my book.