• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

estimating large volume?

mtrider

Hello All, just got a call from a longtime client... he needs an estimate on approx. 3600sqft of frosted sparkle Vinyl... and then says oh yeah, i need this by tomorrow night?? we've never installed this much at once..., especially frosted vinyl .... im confident in my installers abilities, but the most we've done, is a about 1000-1200 sqft at once, and usually printed vinyl...... i'm trying to figure the best method to estimate it? ive used $3 a sqft on install only jobs,but nothing on this scale...

this a new construction "big box retailer" .. all work is 4' off the ground, interior mounted... get this.. one layer on top of another... is this common ?? also should these be done wet or dry... if had most success with dry, but was wondering if wet will speed it up?, and am thinking that wet on top of the 1st layer might be hard to evacuate... not being able to but as much pressure as on the glass..
the bid requires us to supply and install all material.... i got the material part figured, but was wondering what the norm is to price this... not actual pricing, but formula.. by the square ft, or by the hr.. and what is the norm for this.... i was figuring 3 men 3 days? is this an appropriate time? ( i day sizing the film in the shop , 2 days on the install??
if this is in the wrong section i apologize in advance, ..but am trying to figure this out on a short notice... im open to any suggestions..

Typestries

I think you may be overlooking a few things. Perhaps others will chime in....

Big box retailer....under construction....NY market.....is it a union jobsite?

Are other trades working......expect you to be low on the totem pole....think waiting around for others to clear spaces and access your install area

If actively under const.....is it dirty....dusty...hot...other factors affecting your install speed

Have you installed this stuff before.....it's not wrap film and does not go down like wrap film......are you planning to tape it? What's your ability to handle non air release films on high energy surface?

Relates to the above---consider your waste/redo factor.....this stuff shows every little imperfection based on your install ability....

You asked specifically about wet install.....this may just be your best bet......garden sprayer w app fluid in it, large window squeegees....huge time saver

rjssigns

Get help from a professional window film installer. They will have all the tools and know all the tricks when dealing with IG panels.
Typestries brought up valid points about the job site too. That kind of work atmosphere happens even here in the Great White North.

mbarden

MacTAc makes a frosted glass vinyl with their B-Free adhesive. I have used a roll of it. Love it!!!!!!! Goes down like butter and better yet, goes down dry. Just a thought.
MB

mtrider

Thanks guys... yeah i know there are alot of variables...yes we did take if it is a union job into consideration..ive been a card carrying union carpenter for 16 years... but the work is just too spotty... i need to work everyday!! i used to have alot of "juice" in the union, but with the federal gov't taking over, that about all dried up....we've been printing and installing for about 4-5 years now, and i have met plenty of union installers that i will call in if need be... ultimately i gave him 2 prices, one for union labor, one without... we do alot of tenant work in the airports, so i do know about waiting on other trades, and the cleanliness( or lack of) ... but these were all addressed in my bid..

Colorodo:, ... as i do find quite often, i agree with you... for me at least dry is better, but i was worried about the 2nd layer, then it hit me after the post,... i could probably run it thru the laminator, and essentially install only once? is that feasible? ...

Star: no, it is not common at all... but he left 2 v-mails and then sent a text, so i kinda felt obligated to get back to him.... and he knows what such a short notice means ultimately...$$$

thanks for the replies guys.... now its just a wait and see

HulkSmash

Thanks guys... yeah i know there are alot of variables...yes we did take if it is a union job into consideration..ive been a card carrying union carpenter for 16 years... but the work is just too spotty... i need to work everyday!! i used to have alot of "juice" in the union, but with the federal gov't taking over, that about all dried up....we've been printing and installing for about 4-5 years now, and i have met plenty of union installers that i will call in if need be... ultimately i gave him 2 prices, one for union labor, one without... we do alot of tenant work in the airports, so i do know about waiting on other trades, and the cleanliness( or lack of) ... but these were all addressed in my bid..

Colorodo:, ... as i do find quite often, i agree with you... for me at least dry is better, but i was worried about the 2nd layer, then it hit me after the post,... i could probably run it thru the laminator, and essentially install only once? is that feasible? ...

Star: no, it is not common at all... but he left 2 v-mails and then sent a text, so i kinda felt obligated to get back to him.... and he knows what such a short notice means ultimately...$$$

thanks for the replies guys.... now its just a wait and see

I'm a little confused on the whole layering the etched glass vinyl. Do you have a mock up of what you're talking about. But yes we have laid vinyl on its first layer and then apply once to the substrate... is that what you meant?