• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Estimating Software

J

john1

How long before you are late on your bill do they lock you out?
Unfortunately that is a decision a lot of folks have had to make over the last 3 years.

Or if you choose to cancel the service is the info available or would it be all paperwork forcing you to manually enter it in?

LOL you people crack me up.

What if...What if the world ended tomorrow? Is your data safe as the world ends? :ROFLMAO:

The payments are taken from your CC (mine as anyway) and if your worried about being late on your bill it looks like you may have other problems.

I'm surprised some of you don't live in a bubble, seriously.

I am optimistic, I am not going to fear that the service will vanish one day. You can't worry about things you cannot control. At the same time the point you guys have made for concerns has came up and i have asked about them. I didn't sign up for the service blindly.

OMG, it might thunderstorm tonight

What if....

tsgstl

Are you kiddin me? Those are legitimate questions. Could you be any more arrogant? You said a $5k a mont shop should get it. I'm far past that size of a shop but it would be the first 2 questions I would ask. You should go away and leave the talking to Insignia and Colorado. You do signvox 0 favors.

signage

If the world ends tonight you are losing out on 3 days of service you paid for:omg::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Will they refund you that:help

J

john1

Are you kiddin me? Those are legitimate questions. Could you be any more arrogant? You said a $5k a mont shop should get it. I'm far past that size of a shop but it would be the first 2 questions I would ask. You should go away and leave the talking to Insignia and Colorado. You do signvox 0 favors.

Man, your all riled up :popcorn:

First, i said i did ask concerning questions before getting the service. I am not going to speak about solutions to questions you have because i am a customer of the service not a worker for the service SignVOX.

If your so concerned maybe you should ask the company.

SignVOX

Merchant Member
Hi All,
I think it's time I chimed in with my 2 cents. First of all we had a great ISA show and thanks to all the folks who came by our booth, Larry, Mike Sr, Keith and others.

This thread clearly is an indication we have captured the first two segments of any market, Early adopters and Visionaries and we are now entering what they call "Crossing the chasm" to sell the biggest segment of market, the market majority. And we are ready for it. Cause none of the discussion is around can SignVOX help my company, looks like all the customers who already use it and who dont use it never said SignVOX cannot help, the discussion here is about two things which are very easy to answer and some of our customers have already answered that very clearly.

1. Pricing - We as a company will never compete on price with other "POS" software vendors because we are not just a POS, that is only 10% of the value we provide, we are a business management software which collaborates with your employees, customers and vendors. SignVOX is collaboration software and does much more than pricing. We believe we provide great value and it should help your bottom line by increasing your top line. You have to see it as an investment as Mike and Adam mentioned, not see this as an expense. Then you can only get $50 at the max out of it and seems like who ever is arguing about price are trying to save that $50. If I was buying this I would see can it make me $1000 a month, that is 10x return and any investment one should look at it that way and I dont have to give examples of these as our customers clearly show the numbers. If it does not do that we cannot sell SignVOX to too many people, cause they will see right through it and if were doing that we would have priced it $2500 up front and then move on without support or upgrades or not take your calls. We sell our software and earn it every month, without a contract and without any setup or upfront fee. And hence even without a free trial we have signed up 230 store in the last 18 Months. And we dont have a single store which went live for more than 3 months and took time to move to SignVOX completely and has canceled it so far saying they are moving to another software. If at all there are cancel it was with in the first month. And we provide live support, today 9:00 AM to 8PM EST and soon going to add 24x7 support because now we cover all the time zones around the world.

So bottom line we believe we provide great software, excellent customer service (live) and you will get your money's worth, and no we are not going to get 100% of the market and we know it and we are happy with that, and we will earn that $129 every 30 days month in and month out and we believe we will keep our customers happy for the foreseeable future. Otherwise our customers will not be so passionate about the software they use. I have not seen any other customer talking so passionately about the software they have except SignVOX.

2. Cloud - it is NOW, it is here to stay. Our economy depends on it and it is how software is and will be sold. It is not just easy to software vendors it is easy for the customers too. What we see is not that we are taking away customers from previous POS software vendors, the SAAS model has created a new market where stores who could not afford $5-$10k one time fee and $90 for support and upgrades. The $129/Month has brought us new customers, people who were using spreadsheets, Quick Books etc., This is our big market, the stores who did not have any software to manage. And cloud is here to stay and it is like leasing the building where you have your store.

And next, a few of you mentioned what do we do to protect your data? Here it is:
  • 24Hr automatic back up of all our server, databases, pdf files etc., every thing. Very soon we will have real time mirroring of databases and file systems. Today we save this back up automatically in three different locations, Amazon S3, Local Server and in our office backup servers.
  • You can get your raw data in XML format which is industry std for SAAS applications.
  • Your data is already in QB, customers, invoices, payments, PO's, vendors.
  • You can get the data in .csv any time online.
  • We use 256 bit encryption using SSL certs.
  • As of now we dont process any CC hence we dont keep them. When we do we will have to PCI compliant.
  • And you own your data it is in the T&C and we are software providers and that is what we do best and you are sign businesses and that is what you do best. We would rather provide you software tools. And isn't every listing in Yellow Page/search prospective customer so why would any one steal a customer list when it is easily available every where.

So to simplify, we believe SAAS is here and now and that is how we all will buy software and it provides a great technical advantage to collaborate easily and it will change the way we all do business and SignVOX will change the way you do business, there is no option for all of us, SAAS is here and it is awesome and makes us all more productive.

Look at any money you spend especially small business as investment not as expense and expect it to make you 10x cause every $ counts, if it does not help the top line why even buy it and waste all the money on it.

Feel free to send any questions you might have and looking forward to crossing that chasm and getting you all on board SignVOX.

Regards

tsgstl

Man, your all riled up :popcorn:

First, i said i did ask concerning questions before getting the service. I am not going to speak about solutions to questions you have because i am a customer of the service not a worker for the service SignVOX.

If your so concerned maybe you should ask the company.

John, I never asked you anything In my post you quoted me on. In fact I wasn't even thinking of you when I wrote it, sorry.

Thanks Colorado, Insignia and Kevin & signvox for explaining this service. I have tried many different services, sticking to them is always my problem.

TwoNine

Well. I'm not exactly sure how to respond to most of this. But here's a try anyway?

I guess first and foremost we are just going to agree to disagree about what Beta is. I didn't call it pre-alpha, or alpha - I called it Beta. There are two types: Open (Everyone can use it / Photoshop 6) and Closed (Selected users / Corel x7). And then furthermore, there is RC (Release Candidate) - which is probably what I should have said. So, my apologies - but for the everyday user isn't aware of most of these types - and thus, I said Beta.

But what this is, to me, is a Release Candidate. And while these terms are meant more for a 'real' program (in the sense of an actual .EXE file - like Corel or Illy / Not a cloud based solution), I think for the sake of conversation - I'm going to use this example. By the very nature of what you are selling, with constant improvements, additional features, extra options and the like it would be hard to EVER come up with a 'Version 1' or whatever....So I get that part of it.

Now to the details I guess...

Kevin: However, I disagree that it's a beta version or even remotely close to one. Here are a few stats to say otherwise.
230 Users.
Invoices 96457 Invoiced Dollars $50,683,374.78
Quotes 60392 Quoted Dollars $212,436,083.07
WIP 10151 WIP Dollars $15,601,260.48
Purchase Orders 6206 PO Dollars $2,340,280.13
Proofs Sent 83685 Documents Sent 140217
Customers 694302 Vendors 12066
Customer Logins 25741 (who logged in to see the proofs)

You state that you have over 230 users, with 50,000,000 invoiced dollars. I ask then, how many of those users are Sign-A-Rama's? Their website claims (from 7/11) that they plan on featuring SignVox in over 800 of their locations. So about 8 months after this press release there is still only 230 total users worldwide. But I don't know if you're just counting Sign-A-Rama as a whole - as 1 customer or not? Not even sure it matters that much....Just saying. And while the number: 50,000,000 sounds impressive - it is only .5% of the total sales from sign manufacturing nationwide ($11,000,000,000) according to the 2007 census.

So based on 6,406 total companies claiming 339950 as thier NAICS code - you have 3% of ALL sign shops. (IMPRESSIVE! Not being sarcastic. That really is a lot) - But they are only responsible for .5% of the sales. So this, to me, says that they are likely low production shops. (Franchise shops more than likely.) - I wonder then, what the shops responsible for the other $10,950,000,000 dollars are running?

Now, in response to the five points that you thought may be my sticking points.

1) Custom Invoices, Work Orders, Quotes, Etc. -

One template for anything - isn't a template at all. It's a form. Just like a 'form letter' is called that - cause it's the same for everyone. A template would at least allow me to change/modify things while keeping an overall consistent 'look' - and from a programming stand point - a place so that values entered into a database would have a 'home' or a place to appear.

You mention that you're a bigger fan of making a quality product, customer service, and efficient business processes over branding. And to that I have no argument, except to say that those out there who are ALREADY giving their customers great service and quality products using their current 'business processes' - would like to incorporate the time and energy that they have already spent branding their company - and continue it onto ALL their business documents. - But as you mention, you are developing that and it will be released later. (beta?)

2.) E-Mail sent to review proof

This was one of the features I was most excited about. But you say in your post that I didn't care for the email simply because it had a link to view the proof is inaccurate. I didn't like the email because it looked like crap. There was like 4-5 places on an email that said 'Click Here' (Sometimes in buttons, sometimes in raw links (text)). The email - if printed, would have taken up, what...Half a page? And it comes from Signvox.....It even instructs customers to allow mailman@signvox.com to send them mail so it doesn't go to the junk folder (I can't remember the exact address - so my apologies.) But it was something like that...

If a customer gets ANYTHING from me - it will be on my 'letterhead' (albeit Signature on an email or a real letterhead with printed envelopes). That's it.

You say how no body is complaining how it works - which I didn't either. The way it WORKS is not the issue. In just the same sense that how I make a sign is unimportant and unnecessary knowledge to a customer - so long as it is 'customized' to what they want. When I asked you specifically how to change to look of the email - you told me it cannot be done yet.....(Beta?)

So when you write to me that I can "Make it as brand oriented as you want." - I have to shrug my shoulders and just again, agree to disagree. My version of branding something doesn't mean stick a logo on it. I'd like to control color, content, formatting, fonts, etc....

And in response to what you said before you edited this post - about me designing the form for you. No thanks - I have a job....But if you're looking for ideas maybe look into allowing customers to make a 'theme' using CSS, store the file remotely in the database and write the emails in HTML (as you already do) with an include statement in the code? But..... again...Coming soon?

3.) Jobs in the Personal Dashboard
Fixed! Awesome. - But at least give me the the fact that this was one of those things we were told to write down and email it in....Which - it the 'whole' of things is fine. But when you're taking notes about software that you are JUST getting - and trying to recommend fixes and whatnot (not knowing even what I'm supposed to be expecting) - to me is kinda nutty. Especially when I am paying 100% of the total cost of the software. Right? Or ARE these prices the 'discounted' ones? More than likely not. But again - if the 129 IS the final price, we've already came across 3 major hiccups. (Starting to sound like beta.....)

4.) Notes written on proof preview page.
Another one of the major selling points for me was this feature. As we began using it we discovered and reported that notes I was doing on designs was not being correctly propagated through the system. So when 'customers' (I put that in quotes because as you know, but no one else does - we never let this thing run live because of these issues we were having and wanted to see it working before we blindly went sending proofs and emails. And I'm glad, in retrospect, that we did) would write notes to us they wouldn't appear - and nor would comments I was writing to them. Even as something as simple a fax machine allows for this type of communication. But it was busted AT THE TIME - and has, apparently, since been fixed. (Sounds like something you would find out in a beta)

5.) Tpyos. - Unprerfesionel. We all make them, I know. So I'm not saying you should hire perfect people to program your product. I'm simply saying that this is the kind of thing often found in BETAS. When is the last time you used Corel, Adobe, etc, etc, etc, etc - and found even ONE typo? Let alone one here, one there, another here.....Oh! Not to mention....Make sure to write that down so we can fix it. Then email that to us.

You told me to make sure that I wrote down and sent in everything I wanted to be corrected because with, and you even said it yourself, with thousands of things to do - the ones that get the most complaints are the ones that get fixed first. So if it's such a complete build - and one that, because it's cloud based and database oriented - you would even have to do anything like a recompiling of an executable script of anything. Just fix the typo in Ruby (or whatever) and go on. I do agree with you that there is no spell check when writing code...I get it. But I also get how to fix that stuff.....These types of mistakes are caught in Beta builds....

Using my same analogy as before about Corel, Adobe, Scanvec - any of them - Do you think when they release alphas and betas that there are no spelling errors? I highly doubt it. After all - as you point out - "We are human after all" - as are they. The difference is they fix theirs..........in BETAS.

It's not like it's written in C, or C++, or Basic, Assembly - or ANYTHING that need compiling. No re-releases of builds, no updates, or anything....

In fact - a lot of these same things are selling points, right? How, as a customer, you always have the most up to date version....No installing....No service packs no this, no that....

And lastly - please don't pretend to assume that you know what I focused on in regards to my evaluation of your product. Because, as is often the case in assumptions, you are wrong. You write:

"You focused on what it can't do rather than what it can do."

I'll tell you what I focused on - and after your ORIGINAL post (not the one above that has been cleaned up) - I really have no problem doing it.

I focused on these things: If I am going to invest between, realistically, between one and three weeks of setup time to get a product that is supposed to be a solution, up and running - it better be a "solution" that I feel will do me and my company good.

Basically - Is this product going to lose or make me money? Well, that's debatable - even in it's old (unfixed...Incorrect version) it was going to save me time and it was going to organize our customer relations better. (Over what we were using at that time) Streamline the estimate/invoicing part of the job AND set reminders to follow up, check in and the like. So THAT part of it makes me money. I like money...Seems like a good solution.

But then you take in the cost of the time we were being asked of us to write down every error, typo, desired feature, bugs, etc - and add to that the 129 per month and the fact of restructuring any existing infrastructure that we already had in place. Which - speaking only for myself here - is our QuickBooks setup. All of the tax codes and products in there needed to be changed to facilitate the 'meshing' of these two products. Also importing all of our contacts from programs like QuickBooks or Outlook into SignVox is time consuming as well. (More money)

So, with all that in mind, HERE is what I focus on.

Is there a solution that is similar or better that costs me less to purchase, implement and maintain?

And we found that the answer to that question FOR US was Yes. For 1/6th the cost. (Granted - it's not an apples to apples comparison - meaning that the solution we have now isn't "sign" software) - But it is a TOTAL CRM solution for us, and I mean, 100% non-beta, totally complete, kind of total. It includes the basic reminders, quoting, project management, and all that PLUS mass marketing emails, drip campaigns, blast campaigns, leads management, totally editable custom templates, weekly and daily planning, goal setting, custom reports, plus migration with QuickBooks is included and is handled within 24 hours (of signing up...Not even paying them yet) and more...

And I really am torn right now as to go further and tell everyone what it is...Here's why I'm torn. When we were talking with you on the phone to get things taken care of - you were ALWAYS a gentleman, and so is EVERYONE at SignVOX that we spoke with. There was NEVER as issue of customer service on your side of it. You guys are...what...like 3 or 4 hours ahead of me and I can remember talking with you techs at as late as 11 pm (your time.) - So that was really great and much appreciated.

But our new solution has 24/7/365 support. And yeah - I know...."What? So I can talk to some foreigner in who know what country about....." No. - Everyone we've talked to has been perfectly capable of understanding us, and us them - and gets our problems handled while we are on the phone with them. We've never been asked to write anything and send it in so it can get in the queue to get processed.

So here's the catch - It doesn't do quoting. But that, too, has been easily overcome. The process we use now is similar - because let's not beat around the bush here...That's what takes all the time to set up. Entering all the prices from your suppliers, applying the markups, setting costs for product a, b, c, d, e..............

You have a very nice UI for hardcore, very sensitive and linked databases. So does Access, so does FileMakerPro, so do 1000's (literally - I checked) of other software packages out there.

So I guess what I'm saying here is this. (And I speak only for myself, and don't even pretend to speak for ANY ONE else)

When you're ready to upgrade your 'system' - whatever that may be - SignVox or otherwise. You are FORCED to start looking at numbers. You are FORCED to look at things like overhead, markups, time, labor rates, installation COSTS, running costs, machine costs, and the list goes on, and on. But the fact is - that for some shops....(MINE INCLUDED!!!!!!!!!!) was FORCED to start looking at ALL these things - and once you do, anyone with a good business sense can take this raw data and generate formulas or theories to estimate, quite accurately the cost of a product - when you know where you need to be to cover your costs.

Your software did have a certain number it in which GREATLY assists in that formula. That is certainly one good thing in there. (And I won't say what number does what where (That's all your proprietary information, I would think) - but I know you know what it is, and so does everyone who uses SignVox. - And the number is PRECISE and down to the penny.) But that number was gotten where? From what type of shops???? I'm not asking for a response - I have my guesses as to who it may be......And if that's who its from, then even that number isn't so spot on for most. - But it is a great start.

What others have brought up in here, and something that bothered me about being in the cloud like that too is this. Where did you get that magical number. You MUST have been tracking it, and my guess is that were were asked to track it for a certain someone - so when you placed your product in their shops, it's as turn key as the company itself.

The conspiracy theorists out there might ask what would happen if a LARGE client of yours ever started flexing their muscle and wanted to know what the average price of a real estate sign in in Florida (thier store(s) EXCLUDED) - Sounds like a REAL good way to know what the market can stand in a certain geographical area.

And before you go off thinking or even assuming (remember?) that I think you would ever give them the data they are looking for is irrelevant. What I'm saying is - with this type of system - that IS a possibility.

And lastly (Dang, this has gone on too long, huh? - Sorry...I'll button it up right here.) - What happens when, let's say I've been using SignVOX for 5 years and now I am no longer happy with it. Where's my data? Who owns it? How do I get it. And better yet, what product available to your average end user, is even going to make sense of THAT type of database. It couldn't.

Simply answered - And that IS TRUTH. Unless you know how to go about and install a web server on your own computer (Like WAMP), and setup everything to run 'in the cloud...locally' (dumb - i know - but fact) UNLESS you are offering to, upon leaving your company, kindly convert it to something like what....a comma serperated CSV, a Access Database........

What I'm getting at is once you have the data there is no way to get it back in a COMMONLY usable format, right? If you did - that would show your relationships, both 1 to 1, and 1 to many - Which IS your software. Your 'software' consists of schemas, tables, forms, reports and relationships. That IS PROPRIETARY TO YOU AND YOU ONLY. Otherwise you release it, and tomorrow there is 800 versions of SignVox copies out there.

I'll cut it off now - I just REALLY hate when people pretend to know what I'm, thinking - then broadcast their erroneous assumptions to the world.

Sorry for the long post - And I have go to give you kudos Kevin - I'm sure there are a lot of people here who really do appreciate that you took all that time to write out responses to all of my points. Unfortunately - You can't say everybody would do that now days.

-Chad

Joe Diaz

LOL you people crack me up.

What do you mean "You people"??? :Big Laugh

I think those questions about cloud or subscription based services are very legitimate questions. That type of information may persuade some of us to switch what we are using now. I mean comments like "I save a bunch of money a year by using this system" is great and everything, but we all run different types of shops, and knowing the details of how all of this works can be helpful to some of us. Rao had some good answers to some of those questions. So thank you.

If you get that XML data, is it in a format that is easy to understand, in case you were for whatever reason disconnected from that system?

MatthewTimothy

Wow.....talk about jumping at someone's throat. Do you email Adobe with 1500 questions every time you upgrade? Seriously.

Sure, Sinvox may not be for everyone. If you don't need it, then good for you. No need to go off on anyone who sees the value in the product and has determined that it works for them. Judging by the range of companies (just on this site) that are using it and loving it.....it obviously was a good decision for them. You seriously expect them to have asked dozens of questions about the server/security ect?

When you buy a computer do you demand a tour of the plant where it
was built?

And that wasn't directed at you Chad...lol. Thanks for clearing up your original post. Much appreciated! :thumb:

but Adobe is a tangeable, paid for, in house item you receive. How do you actually know what you are getting with SignVOX if it is not disclosed??? BIG DIFFERENCE. No service fees if I recall, but you can buy extra keys.

I keep saying i am sorry because i am sorry for people who bulk at the price when it's so minimal. I truly am not sorry because i know it works great, More of a pitty for those bulking.

Regarding Signvox like any product I see strengths & weaknesses...NO product is going to be the right fit for everyone.

but John PLEASE, I see you speaking with passion & I can respect that but .....

bulk: noun; the mass or magnitude of something large. Verb; be or seam to be of great size or importance.

balk: verb; hesitate or be unwilling to accept an idea or undertaking.

for what it is worth one of the things that concerns me the most is Signvox sharing the statistics,breakdown,etc. & I feel bad saying this. But I would not want my pricing information used in this manner in any way shape of form.

SignVOX

Merchant Member
What do you mean "You people"??? :Big Laugh

I think those questions about cloud or subscription based services are very legitimate questions. That type of information may persuade some of us to switch what we are using now. I mean comments like "I save a bunch of money a year by using this system" is great and everything, but we all run different types of shops, and knowing the details of how all of this works can be helpful to some of us. Rao had some good answers to some of those questions. So thank you.

If you get that XML data, is it in a format that is easy to understand, in case you were for whatever reason disconnected from that system?

Joe it is basically like a db backup and since in SAAS world we cant give the db in a .mdb/.sql format the back up is in xml format and one can easily import this data to a sql db. Well can any one do it, if you know how to manage a db yes you can. It is the same as having sql server file, access file or mysql db. Instead of in a db format it is a plain file in an xml format. Just like we have scripts to read a access db or a sql server db when you get this xml file who ever is your next pos will have some scripts to import this data into their db.

Kevin-shopVOX

Chad - No need to quote. Just read above

-Chad

First, let me say I apologize for making assumptions on your exact train of thought. I hate it when someone does it to me and it's a sheety thing to do. Seriously I apologize, who the hell am I to know exactly why you do what you do? Just ain't right.

The issue I had was with the term "Beta". It just isn't so and cheapens an excellent and ever fluid product. I take it personally when it is associated with very vague yet quite demeaning terminology. Had you posted why, then at least those interested could sorta form an opinion based on whether its important to them or not. Rather than this product is no better than a beta or it's quirky. Is it perfect no, however the pluses far outweigh the minuses. However every need or want you had, because it isn't there doesn't make us a beta product. When I say "it can't be done yet" means it isn't a feature yet. Meaning it might be but at the moment you can't. We also can't process credit cards, yet. But we will at some point. Does that make us a beta release? In your book it would.

Yes I edited my original post as I didn't like some of the things I said and how I said them, offering you to redesign the form was one of them. I was just being a punk and it was unprofessional. Hiding behind the merchant description is a tough thing to do when all you want to do is call things out and say the first thing on the top of your mind. Apparently I didn't hit edit quick enough.

As for the CRM you are using? If you believe in it promote it. Why wouldn't you?

Now, Chad, if making assumptions is such a pet peeve, please practice what you preach. My assumptions were based on my conversations and interactions with your shop. Though they were assumptions, at least I was there to base them in my own experiences. Your assumptions are based on your Google search and what you think we may or may not be doing. Yet you deem it necessary to make it seem as if we are tracking data for averages to use for leverage in some form or another? Or that a certain someone (SIGNARAMA folks he's talking about SIGNARAMA or are you..in this case I can only presume because you are alluding to them) would force us to do something with information that is accessible to us. Again you are presuming that you know something in which you really don't. Sure any negative situation you can think about our service, product and company is possible if that is the mindset you live in. Sometimes you just have to trust the good in this world, because it really is out there.

There is no proprietary information in signVOX. I'm not quite sure what magical # you are referring to. If you are referring to the "magical time" as to how long it takes to make a sq. ft of any sign? Then that makes more sense to me. However you are once again presuming you know more than you actually do. There are no labor rates that come loaded in signVOX. Just ask anyone who is on signVOX. In fact, you even said the time to set those things(labors, materials etc) up was too much of an investment for you.

Want to know where that magical # came from? That few minutes of time you use for estimated labor time in your pricing formula? My head. The reason that I personally know that is because I spent 4 years teaching over 200 sign businesses how to make money and price their goods using software, spreadsheets and good ol' fashioned pen and paper. I told you what the "magical time" was because I was trying to help your shop with your pricing and use signVOX to the best of its abilities during our 2 hour training session. You didn't know what it was or should be so I gave you a starting point (after all it was training) that you could use/tweak to your hearts delight. But now here I sit, defending our good intentions based on your assumptions and what-if scenarios.

We do and will continue to earn our money through a great product, with excellent support and service. Never, ever & I mean ever is your data shared, sold or pooled for profit or any other shared reason. It is wrong, malicious and not our philosophy. We don't care about your data other than keeping it secure, backed up and accessible to you. We only care about making a great product and building long lasting relationships with our customers.

We not forcing anyone to use signVOX. We're just offering a service that you will either want or not. What I am asking is for everyone to not point the finger at us like we are an evil entity, like this thread has become, based solely on presumed scenarios and possibilities. Based on someone fear of how the world is currently doing business. If you want information about us, our servers, our policies etc. pick up the phone or email us and ask.

And Chad, I'll agree to disagree over the term "beta" and lets both agree not to assume or presume what the other is thinking or actually doing. Sound fair?

TwoNine

Yeah - that sounds fair. I realize that sometimes things can go a little too far around here. And I'll tell you that I do NOT envy you for having the "Merchant" title in times like these. I can only imagine what you may have 'really wanted to say'. - And I mean that sincerely - I'm not trying to be a p***k, here.

I'll be honest with you here - I really wasn't going to say anything past my original post. This same type of question has came up since I left SignVox - and I didn't feel like getting into this kind of debate. I knew it would take a long time to explain some of my thoughts on it - and with the nature of this topic - it's not something that most are used to talking about. It's not like we're talking about which material to use for a sign. Look at the questions that are coming in - people have some really valid concerns.

So - at the risk of going on for too long again - let try to keep this strictly fact oriented. I'd ask, both Kevin and Rao, is this a forum where we should try and get some of these questions out in the 'open'. That way in the future there is a really solid forum, where this has been talked about in some length, about not only the features of your software, but also answer some of the technical details that possible new or returning customers may have?

I'm not going to assume that you'd like to do that - after all - we agreed to keep the BS and speculation out of this as much as possible. And I am going to try my best to adhere to those rules.

But let's start with things that I think people really can't stand. Rephrased - Something I cannot stand is feeling like I'm being 'sold' on ANYTHING. I don't care if it's a cheeseburger or a software package. - When people say that a product or service is going to perform a certain way - I expect it to do exactly that - both when and how they say. Maybe I'm a sucker? It's a real possibility - I do believe people for the most part. So maybe that's a flaw on my side of the fence.

But when I see a company blatantly misleading people - it's frustrating. Especially when it's to a highly respected, and valuable member to these communities. In a couple posts up from here, Joe Diaz asks a question (#70) that I think a lot of your customers out there would like answers to. I also see the reply in post #78. That's the kind of misleading I'm talking about.

I'm going to both paraphrase and trim some of the 'fat' here. Rao's response is basically that all of your company's (you as a customer of SignVox) data is coming to you in XML and that your new POS can easily read and interpret these files.

If I would have read that post, not knowing what I know, it SOUNDS like that is a pretty easy thing, huh. Just learn a little about databases in general and then just run some scripts and done. But the reality of it is it's not that simple. But in order to explain what happens you've got to assume (uh-oh) that people know about Database Normalization. Sounds awesome, right? So, to avoid assumptions - let's talk about Normalization.

Normalization is simple, yet complicated - and there is A LOT of information regarding it on this internet - So I'll try and keep this description concise. Normalization is the process of getting rid of redundancy in databases. To do that you break things into Tables - which are the workhorses of databases. They are what hold all the data. These tables then have 'relationships' (there are two types: One-to-one relationships, and One-To-Many) with other tables to exchange data back and forth. These relationships are KEY components when designing databases.

Let's try using signs as an example - Let's say a customer wants a sign that says a list of dates and places. (I'm thinking old rock band t-shirts...the backs) So the list, in a table, would look like this 1.) Friday - Madison, WI; 2.) Friday - Sacramento, CA 3.) Thursday - Sparks, NV 4.) Friday - Orlando, FL.

So - in that example the days of the week would be in one column, the locations in another. So in normalization - to get rid of the redundancy - you'd look and see the Friday is on there a lot. So - let's pretend that list went on for another 100,000 locations. Friday would be on there a TON at that rate. So why store data in a form like "FRIDAY" when you want your DB to run quickly and efficiently - you could just store it as: "3" if you want. Not only do number take up less space in memory (RAM, etc) - they also take less bandwidth.

So - I'm saving data by calling Friday - 3. Now I have a problem. I don't want my end user to see " ROCK BAND COMING 3!!!!!" - So I have to tell my database that when it sees "3" in this particular table - I want it to display the word "Friday". So you make another table. This one called ???? - Anything the programmer feels like calling it. But that list would look like this:
3 - Friday ; 4 - Saturday ; 5 - Sunday ; 6 - Monday........And so on...

So now we know that Friday = 3 and that the band is coming 3. We need relationships to tell the two to 'talk' to each other. Without that relationship you are left with absolutely meaningless data. One table full of numbers and days, the other full of locations and numbers. I'm putting this in the grander scheme of things - you could pretty easily figure out a database like my example and put it back together. But when you start looking at large databases - ones like SignVOX - there are LOTS more tables. PLUS you get into weird things like reports, forms, queries, etc, etc. But there is one thing and one thing ONLY that make it work.

Relationships.

XML DOES NOT HAVE THE CAPABILITY OF HARNESSING RELATIONSHIPS! It's a text file. And ONLY a text file.

Put it this way - the XML could easily be re-built into tables. I.e. - You tell your software to take a xml file and create a table and it will - easy. But what is the table called? 'll_cust_db_ref4' ??? These are common naming conventions. Most people look at that and want nothing to do with it. Me either. Who would? But t's these boring tables that are your invoices, customers, estimates, etc.

And if you're following along - you can imagine all the redundancy that would be in such table. If you've done 50 jobs for one customer there is going to be a table that looks like this 09876 - 123423; 09876 - 123431; 09876 - 123512; (keep going....)

That is an accurate reflection of a table that has been normalized properly. Oh and by the way - the other tables are just as _____ed up.

I'm going to end the normalization thing here by just giving a simple analogy. Say you're SignVOX Database is a book. Each page a table....Assembled it works great. You can go instantly anywhere and reference anything you need - rather by page number or chapter. What a XML data dump does it takes all those pages of the book (Your Business) and stores them. But there's a problem - it doesn't keep the page numbers or the chapters. THEN it rips all the pages out of the binding - and throws them at you.

So - while you're left with all your data (as Rao mentioned) - what good is it? Better yet - pretend you'd NEVER read that book - AND it was in Hebrew. You'd literally have to read every single page and try and figure out which on went where. You'd be building relationships to try and figure out what makes sense, where.

So - Joe, to answer your question - those .mdb/.sql files they cannot release to you....THOSE are your relationships...Those are your binding and glue. Without them all you have is PAGES and PAGES of data.

As for everything else - Ehh..... Alright.

Beta is what it is - I never called your program a ******* son of Hell. I'm just giving my honest evaluation. But I also said previous that I could see how the version "1" thing would be a problem, due to the nature of the cloud. But what I was trying to get at is - Don't go making a bunch on "NEW FEATURES" before you're done with the old features. It's a sloppy way to do things, IMO, and it's something that the "big boys' don't do...For this reason.

As for my CRM that I use now - feel free (anyone) to PM me and ask, I've already been asked and have shared with a couple people. I'm not getting paid from them to act as a speaker and I don't work for free. They aren't sponsoring this site - although maybe they should be approached - to see if they're interested?

As for my speculation in to the Sign-A-Rama thing is this (And I'll keep it all facts here). They said publicly that they are bringing your software into 800 stores. You say you have 230 users. There is a discrepancy here. While, granted, they never said WHEN they're bringing everyone on-board - the fact that if this program can save so much time, money, energy, with no negative repercussions - then why is it that it isn't in all their stores?

I'm going to say it like this. $77,400 a month is a lot more than $29,670 a month. There are people who would sacrifice their....what's the word here??....morals?....To get a boost in revenue like that. But again, even as I stated yesterday - rather or not I think you'd do that is irrelevant.

As for the rest of this stuff - I honestly don't care. There were things in your software I could see weren't going to work for us - I think I even told you at day two I was having some reservations as to if this was right for us. The way everything was handled at the very end was poor at best. (Actually went and looked at some of the old emails last night - and kind of remembered how we parted ways....Oh well.)

So - point is - SignVox makes software that works for some, and not for others. You keep preaching that - which is fine - but IMO when someone - anyone - asks a question regarding the integrity and usability of THEIR data, THEIR business, THEIR numbers, THEIR LIFE - They should be given answers. 100% truthful ones - Even if you know they may not like it.

I'll ask you point blank right now:

If someone leaves SignVox for whatever reason - Is it easy and commonly doable to restructure your database with another CRM/POS?

That's the real point, isn't it? The money is only an issue for some, and I think most wouldn't mind trying something new if they knew that they weren't locked into this solution. That if they didn't like your services they could just up and leave. And while I promised to try and not to speculate - I can do only that here - And speculate that most people want to know that they have FULL control of their data and when they want it back - they can get it back in a COMMONLY UNDERSTOOD format.

Sorry for the speculation.....

-Chad

Last edited by a moderator:

HulkSmash

Chad,

I'm assuming Signarama isn't going to make their Franchise who have been with them for years to take on a new pricing system......

Again.. only assuming..

but I think from now on they'll make new franchise use this system...?