• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Etched Vinyl to edge of window...

JFERG90

Good Morning all,

I am about to do an installation where the etched vinyl goes right to the edge of the windows. The windows are on an office front inside a building and they are recessed about a half an inch into the wood frame. I have had trouble in the past, I was successfull but it was trouble the say the least.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the installation.

1. Would you cut the panel exactly to size or ad a half inch all the way around and trim afterwards?
2. If you would ad extra material any advice on trimming?

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Have a great day.

JF.

JFERG90

They were adament that they wanted it right to the edge.
Due to the size of the customer I would like to be able to meet their requests.

petepaz

i will start exact in one corner so top and side are right to the edge and it's easier to just have the other two edges to deal with rather then all four.

FatCat

I've done several like this. The one issue I always have is the unevenness of the rubber gaskets around the window. Pay close attention to really only lay your knife on the side/edge of the gasket and not cut part of it off or it will show. *Also, another tip I can share is to wait about a 1/2 hour or so before trimming. This way the rapid tac will have dried more and will prevent the edges slipping around when you try to cut them. I would put them all up with an inch or so overlap, then go back to your first panel, re-squeegee the edge now that it is dryer and then do your trims.

I use baby two drops of baby shampoo and water in a hand spray bottle. cut 1-2" extra all the way around. Scrap and sqguee (black window) glass. Spray with soulution. Then Have someone peel you liner. or tape to the wall and peel it yourself.......Then spray adhesive side of film. Line up the top and side with a factory straight edge. I would use a tinters Hard card, but you can use a sign style sqguee with a paper towel wraped around to it. Lock it down with a press out hinge. then from top center work you way down and out but leave about 2" of water from the edges. Now clip the corners so you can tuck it down it the recess. Then take your hard card and olfa kniefe, and make a nice steady smooth cut using the hard card to guide you down. Trim the three sides. then Finish taping out the edges with hard car and pt wrap. hope this helps.

signwizz

is there any text in it at all,also it takes a bit to dry so be careful when u cut with knief it doesn't wander and watch u dont scratch it with your squeegee

Attachments

• EPA5.jpg
    EPA5.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 91

slappy

watch what transfer tape you use. i personally like 4075rla. That way i can mist it to wet it to remove it from the vinyl, so much easier

JFERG90

Only one of the panels has the logo in it.
I think I will do the 1 inch al the way around, generally I tell the customer I will return a few hours after I have installed the etched vinyl and remove the masking and trim the edges.
I will most likely just use rapid tac squeegee the corners in and trim with a sharp knife.
thanks guys for all the help.

JF.