• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Etched window vinyl, with printing shapes to be viewed from outside

MikeyG

Hi all!
I've just been dumped with a job that I have no real idea how to do...
I've got to put up some window etch in a series of windows (six in total) up to about half their height (about 1m).
However, on this etched section, and to be seen from outside, are a number of animal shapes (dogs, cats, etc.) in a solid purple colour.

What do you consider to be the best way to produce that would be?

1. I could print the animal shapes onto the etch vinyl (using my latex printer), but would they be opaque enough to be seen from outside properly?

2. Or I could put up a plain piece of etch vinyl first, the apply contour-cut animal shapes to the inside.

3. Or I could put the animal shapes up first, then apply the etched vinyl behind that. (Although this would probably result in a gap/bump where the animal shape meets the etch vinyl).

Any help would be gratefully received, as I have to do this in the next few days, and the boss is on the warpath!!

Thanks!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Assuming these windows are not tinted, and you're installing inside to view from outside, you could definitely print on to etch. But if they want a more solid purple, just reverse cut out the purple shapes, install etch first, and drop in purple shapes. Either with an slight overlap, or you can leave a gap, which looks good on occasion.

petepaz

what about cutting the shapes out of the etch vinyl about 1/8-1/4" bigger then the actual animal shape then inlay the animal shapes on to the glass separately

petepaz

Assuming these windows are not tinted, and you're installing inside to view from outside, you could definitely print on to etch. But if they want a more solid purple, just reverse cut out the purple shapes, install etch first, and drop in purple shapes. Either with an slight overlap, or you can leave a gap, which looks good on occasion.

apparently you type quicker then i do...haha

MikeyG

Thanks to you both!
An excellent idea, and one I'm going to test out in a few minutes.
I'm printing some tests on my polymeric window etch right now, and I'll do some more with doing what you guys suggest.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks!