• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ever experience this before?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Without naming names, I visited that huge bookseller (among other stuff) on the web. You know...the one named after that big river...and the rainforest.

Anyway, I searched for a particular item (top-name software) and then went back a day later...only to find the same item drastically reduced in price. This isn't the first time it's happened to me.

To make sure I was comparing apples to apples, I made a pdf copy of the original page while I was searching so I could compare options. Lo, and behold...it's cheaper today, by about 30%.

Anybody else find that to be true?

Perhaps the first time out isn't always the best time to buy. Makes me want to try out a few other random searches to see what it does. Btw...I was not logged in under my account either.

JB

James Burke

One other thing I've noticed was that particular item, from that particular vendor, has appeared in numerous pop up adds when visiting other sites yesterday...that's nothing unusual.

But I find the sudden price drop to be a bit surprising.

JB

Techman

I am guessing they are using a cookie placed on your computer to encourage you to buy.. Reactive cookies are getting so common any more.

CES020

I've heard it's a good idea to put it in your shopping cart and then don't buy it. Come back the next day and it'll be cheaper.

James Burke

I am guessing they are using a cookie placed on your computer to encourage you to buy.. Reactive cookies are getting so common any more.

How's a "reactive" cookie any different than the typical cookie?

Looks like the age-old (car sales) tactic of 70% of something is always better than 100% of nothing.

JB

p3

It's part of creating personal experiences and guiding customers down paths. The price most of the time will drop even more after that first day, until they feel all hope is lost and you aren't going to make the purchase (2-3 days). Some give up hope because most abandoned cart purchases are made within 8 hours, and there is 0 chance most of the time after 4 days. The pricing you see will be different than price I see as well. Depending on your propensity to buy.

These systems are getting so easy to set up, even smaller retailers are offering it. I have a power point I can share with anyone interested in this kind of stuff...well multiple presentations :)