• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ever have a rough day for no reason?

J

john1

Hey everyone, I hope everyones weekend went well and weeks are starting off good.

For some reason i have a case of the Monday's i guess that has me feeling down about everything. I guess it's because business isn't as good as it was last month which had me hopeful but now it's back slow as heck.

Had a few calls today but nothing that went through yet and it just seems when things are good i feel great but when they slow down i'm second thinking if this is even what i want to do anymore. Kinda feel i am failing before i even started even though i been in business a few years now.

I think more often than not that customers and potential customers just don't give 2 poops sometimes. I guess being solo and home based is more of a challenge then i thought it would be mentally.

Trying to take advantage of down time and put together a mailing list to some of my best customers and recent ones and send out a monthly newsletter/calender combo i found on a printers template website. Also wanting to do some direct mail to target audiences for more awareness locally so i am brainstorming about that but these are a shot in the dark.

:covereyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Border

Yup, it's challenge. I went through some unbelievably slow,tough times and it gets even worse when you have no capital to work with and are at the end of your credit line too.

It ain't like that now, I have never been so slammed with work. if I had the capital to expand, I would. That is something i am working on but it takes a long time to dig out of a hole sometimes. You need a couple of things. First, perseverance, then patience. Then more perseverance.
You also need to identify what you are best at and focus on that first and foremost.

Now get off the internet and hit the streets!

rjssigns

Had a bad day yesterday. Ruined enough product that my wife led me out of the shop. It was one of those days where everything I touched turned to crap. I didn't have the sense to stop so cooler heads prevailed.

J

john1

Thanks jhill and Border :)

To be honest with you guys, Hitting the streets to me just seems like the hardest thing.

My town is very tiny and most businesses that i have done work for that i would like to create a niche in are self employed contracting companies who work from home. That means it's hard to walk right into their office if i can't find it ya know?

The closest other town near me which is 8 miles away has 2 sign shops that pretty much run that whole town sign job wise and have for decades now.

Most people have been calling in or emailing me from google and my websites seo i set up.

Border

well then focus on fine-tuning your website to market whatever it is you're best at. Forget about all the little crap jobs and let the other shops have all those.

Craig Sjoquist

Well not sure what to say John ... I admire you You do your best it seems & you work hard at doing your best even as simple as asking questions.

As far as I would gather from words said, your a asset to your neighbors, town, community. Now just because something changed, you will change because of who you are.

I've been at this 36 years bet I fail ..if any test about business success of any sort all the time ..But I enjoy the chase, the life as it is good or bad, highs and lows.

WHY ... I'm just about 62 I ride a bicycle and earn some what of a living with my hands & mind I'm fairly healthy, for 99% of my life so far, loads of friends, enjoy's my life.

Now many times when feeling the blues, I look at a true fact ..OUR Military in the middle east and how they live, just so WE can feel the blues.

Go get um ..Git-R-Dun

HulkSmash

I'm at that point where we're so busy, i don't know how to cope.

I'm dealing though.

everyone wants their stuff tomorrow, or they'll go elsewhere.

John, told you this before - get a small storefront.

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
John,
I'm in a similar situation as you. I work out of my home(basement shop)and just bought an HP L25500 printer. I've had a plotter for a few years. Last month was my best month yet, I was busy as hell. This month has been slower, I get plenty of smaller jobs, just not the great big ones that I want to get. I'd love to have an outside shop too but not making that kind of flow yet.

I hear you about feeling bummed and wondering why the hell you ever got in the sign business. I've been working in the industry for 12 years but on my own since December. I advertise on Craigslist a lot and have got plenty of work from that. Although if you are in a small town I suppose it wouldn't help much.

Anyway, good luck, keep on truckin' dude!

Kevin-shopVOX

The one thing to remember regardless if you have a storefront or not is this; just because you have a business, with a good product, great customer service and all the other aspects of running a good business doesn't mean you will have business. You have to build your client list and that simply comes from getting out there and building a pipeline. The old saying that the more you throw at the wall the more that sticks is actually not too far from the truth. The key to keeping those clients is through all the things you are already doing: good product, on time, good rapport, fair price etc. But you will only do so much with your well optimized site. You have to take action. Go get those customers and if you are good at what you do and treat them right you will keep them.

There are really only a few ways to get business.

1. Sell to your existing customers - This is the easiest sale. Stay in touch with all of your customers at least monthly with something that reminds them of you. A special, a new product, a birthday card, a phone call, email blast etc. They already do business with you and if they need something you can a) inspire them b) remind them or c) offer a deal. Either way unless they fell they got ripped off or treated poorly they will only buy from you.

2. Referalls - The second easiest sale . This one actually is overlooked so often. I don't mean by the customers you have that say "you should use so and so" but by you. Whenever someone picks up their product or you are finishing the transaction, you should ask them. "Who do you know that could use my services?" Ask who including name & # if they have it not "Do you know" Always ask open ended questions that require a response outside of "yes" or "no". What the worst thing they say.."i don't know anyone". Okay..move on but always ask for referrals.

3. Direct Marketing - Another easy way to get customers and probably the fastest way to the clients you want. If you want business, go to them do not wait for them to come to you. You will fail before that unless your pockets are really really deep. Go door to door and do not cherry pick. You never know what you will come across. I have been in places trying to get the owner to recognize me only to have one of his customers over hear me. That instance turned into a very large and repeat customer. When you are there, your goal is not to sell something it is to find out who is the decisions maker and when is the best time to contact them. If they ask for a quote or buy something that's only a perk of walking in there. Pay attention to what they currently buy and what they might need. Expect them not to have time for you, but instead strive to make an appointment to sit down and discuss how you can help them. You will get more sales that way. I agree this is the part that everyone hates; prospecting. But its important and you will not get very far, very fast without it. It is also addictive as you see it pay off. I can go on and on about what to do as I have done thousands of direct marketing efforts. The most important thing to know though is it works and the worst thing that can happen is someone says "no thanks." What is so scary about that?

4. Soft marketing efforts - Website, yellow pages, vehicle wrap etc. All the things you do to promote your brand. Website can be more of a hard marketing effort but its still just a brand awareness aspect. Individually these are not that powerful, together much stronger. I think it takes like 7 impressions to make a sale or something like that.

Do not let your business be a secret. Everyone needs something you sell it is just a matter of when. It is pretty easy to decide what needs to be done, but its the actions behind those decisions that make a difference. Keep your chin up but don't sulk if you do nothing to improve things. Stay focused and driven and all will be alright.

tcorn1965

We were super busy last month, 38% slower this month. This is not new. Don't worry in about 3 weeks it will be balls to the wall...It is an even year (election) we generally hire about 20 temps and a second shift to make the in hands date... Do you advertise to the political market?

Terry

royster13

Do you have some promotional material at your local building supply stores?...

Do you stop and talk to folks when you see a commercial vehicle around town?....

Do you look for really worn out signs that need to be "refreshed'?....

Do you put your business cards on commercial vehicles when you see them parked around town?....

Do you sell promotional products and/or printing?......

Do you sell caps and wearables?.....

Do you phone up new businesses that you see advertising in your local newspapers?...

tsgstl

8 miles away is nothing
I'm 20 miles outside of St. Louis. Many of my customers are in or close to the city. Not even trying to get business in that other town and any town within 30 miles from you is a mistake. Forward your phone to your cell and make connections.

A storefront would help you look legit but I think there are many differences between a city like yours and a larger city.

Nobody has a magic answer. Last year I was wondering how to buy groceries. This year I have no free time for anything and my credit cards are almost paid off again. I have changed nothing and since feb. have not spent a nickel on any form of advertising.
Good luck

Jillbeans

Since I was forced to get a real job in September I have a sh!tty day every day but Friday, which is my day off.
I have been busier than usual (but not as busy as a normal spring) so I have to cram signs into the before and after work hours.
I'd advertise on CL maybe but it's already full up and I don't want to give off a "cheap" image.
I have at least 10 shops in a 10 mile radius here and two new hacks.
My sign customers who dine at my real job think I have given up a career of 27 years to be a waitress and lunchmeat slicer.
I get talked down to by a co-worker all day too.
There's a lot of anger in me at this point, my whole life has changed.
I pretty much hate my life now and I hate what signs have become.
It doesn't matter how talented you are or what skills you possess, people go to the cheapest place they can. They don't care if their signs are virtually illegible.
I have been designing for other shops when I can, I like doing this.
The sign jobs I do get, I make as good as I can so that maybe someone will notice the difference.
You should see the utter piece of crap a competitor just put up, although his prices are so low I don't know how he turned a profit.
I don't have an answer for you.
But I will never lower my prices to get a job, I will never give myself away, and I will never give up.
One day at a time, maybe tomorrow will be better for you.
Love....Jill

Letterbox Mike

John, Kevin has some great advice (as does everybody else).

I used to get bummed during slow periods or for seemingly no reason at all, but eventually I learned to see times like that as a blessing in disguise instead. Use that time to refocus yourself. Take some time away from the business to have fun and pursue other interests. Work on your marketing or develop a marketing plan. Do research on potential new revenue streams or products, or even better, prospective clients.

In other words, use down time to do what you cannot do during the busy spells: work on yourself and your business. It's always feast or famine in this business, but you can creatively take advantage of the hungrier times to ensure there's more food on the table down the road.

Marlene

I blame Walmart, McDonald's and other price driver places for where we all are today. we have become a "want more for less" society and quality isn't as important as it once was. when it comes to signs, the more cheap crap out there the more common place it becomes. what would inspire a business owner to buy a nice hand painted sign from Jill when all his neighbors have cheap crap for a third of the cost? so what if you have to replace it in 2 years, just go buy another cheap sign and off you go. gladly, not all business owners are into the cheap stuff and some do still know the value of having a great looking sign but it seems they are fewer than the other type. we have been pretty lucky as we live in a state that is working to keep an image going so there aren't as many of those really horrid signs that I've seen when I've left the state out there, but it is coming our way. I've seen some stuff go up that just makes me cringe when I see. it is depressing to put together a sign package that you know is good quality, will work for the type of biz and will look good for years only to hear, "sorry, but we've decided to go with a company that is less expensive". then you drive by and see what they got and end up just shaking your head in disblief.

Wiggum PI

I usually have my best ideas when I'm not working, so I suggest going bush and hitting the peyote bro... take the signvox though.. :p

CES020

One thing I'd add, is that not all sign shops around you are your competition. They can be a huge asset and you can do a lot of wholesale work for other sign shops. Go talk to them and find out what they do and don't do and see how you can help them. Maybe you stock a roll of material they don't want to stock and would be happy to sub those jobs to you. There are probably a number of shops around that don't have printers that would love to have a good relationship with someone that does. We'd had many times when our wholesale work outpaces our normal work.

Having those relationships can also allow you to take on a lot more work, different work, work that you might not normally be able to do because you don't have the equipment for it. They can help you be more profitable and grow your business.

ova

We're busier than all get out right now. Almost every year since we've been in business, we had a slow period from Thanksgiving to the first of the year. Not so this time.

Election year has helped a bunch. Seemed all the candidates were all on the wagon about buying their signs local. We had over a dozen buy from us.

Now it's the gas and oil boom. Seems like the money pit is endless. I think with all major companies involved in this, thy've been handing out money for sponsorships just to keep the noise down. Schools, Little league ball teams, and golf scrambles are getting new sponsors which means new signage. There's more large trucks running our roads now than in the past ten years. I've got a couple of those companies getting site signs for the well pads from us.

I was like Jill.Things were slow so I went out of the shop to get added income and health coverage because of the slow times. We had two part time employees at that time and I couldn't bear to let them go. Big mistake. They both have moved on right after I got other employment for myself.

Now I'm working seven days a week and outsourcing a bunch of work just to keep up. We're about 150% above last years work load and it just keeps on coming.

Funny part about this whole deal is, I raised my prices considerably and it hasn't hurt business one bit.

I would like to buy at least a bigger printer, but that would mean buying a bigger laminator also. I'm on the winding down side of life and I can feel my bucket list calling me. They say make hay while the sun is shinning. Heck, I've got the barn full and some still sitting in the fields.

Dave