• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ever have a rough day for no reason?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Even large companies will have their slow and peak seasons. You need to identify them and try to distinguish what causes these slow times. Then, you can fill the voids with what you are good at in your business.

You don't necessarily have to have a store front, but you should try to establish a good relationship with your existing customers and possibly ask them for referrals. Schmooze them and tell them you are experiencing some growing pains which has taken you to a higher level, but you don't have enough constant work to sustain it. Ask them if they'd all like to form a chapter in some kinda referral group.... there are plenty of them nationwide. We belong to BNI and it has given us lots of extra work. Before that, we belonged to a group called PRE. I'm not a firm believer in the Chamber anymore, because it seems to suck you dry of money and only helps the a$$ kissers. The chamber is so big, it forms cliques because it just does... it's the nature of the beast. Our local chapter is starting to see the benefit to smaller groups and it is actually forming new branches and naming them all kinds of buzz sounding names to entice the young people. The groups are much smaller and allowing only one business in each of the groups. My feelings are, the main group is so big, most of the members have no clue who all is really in it any longer.

You need to make yourself known and sitting at home creating mailers or postcards isn't gonna do that.

I might be 'Old School', but it means a lot to most business owners or buyers when they meet you face to face. Post cards, mailers and other stuff like that just gets filed in that round filing cabinet.

It's the same with the phone calls that when you answer, they say.... don't hang up, this is an important phone call and you can................ CLICK. :noway:

People for the most part are tired of having everything just a push of a button or a click of the mouse away. You are in a position... the same as about 90% or more of most people and don't want to waste their money. If they can't feel it, touch it or see it beforehand, they are gonna go for the cheapest thing so they aren't out a whole lot. However, if you can get a potential buyer to your place or you go to them and convince them of how unique, quality minded and serviceable you are.... well, you'll probably just make a sale and maybe a loyal customer just for being there.

This doesn't work for everybody. It will only work if you have a good product to sell and you believe in yourself 110%.

When we get calls, I generally ask people..... who all have you called so far ??

If I'm the first, I tell them to shop around and get comparative prices on the same thing. Once they've boiled it down to two or three, then stop in and let me show you what we're currently working on and what I can do for you.
If I'm the last, I ask them to please stop by and allow me to show them my thoughts on their needs.

You have to be earnest and sincere..... and know your chit inside and out and be capable of taking a sale at any point to the finish line. Listen to their needs and wants and be able to solve them on the spot. Being there in person and solving all their needs should prove you are the person for them. :thumb:

Get one of them a month and within a year, you've gotten 12 new reliable clients. In four years it will get easier and spread faster and you should have one heck of a tremendous customer base, you won't need to worry anymore.

J

john1

Thanks everyone

I guess im just burnt out on being slow time after time. I'm so tired of people calling/emailing about products and not following back or picking up their phones when i call them.

I have thousands of dollars in quotes just floating around and they don't go through because either people won't pick up their phones or won't respond back when they apparently need these done by X date. I just wish if the quote was too much for their budget or something people will grow some balls and be HONEST.

I'm about to give up, Clearly i am not made for this.

If i could do production all day and have someone at the front handling customers in my imaginary storefront i would be so much happier.

HulkSmash

raise prices and don't work so much, you will burn yourself out and then where will be?

We work from 7:30-4:30 every day. Never make my guys work overtime unless I have to. Even myself, I do what i can in a day, then go home. Unless of course circumstances need me to stay later, but it's very rare i do.

J

john1

I literally just had someone call me, As soon as i pick up they hang up. Call them RIGHT back "HELLO!, WHO DIS"

Are you kidding me? I must attract these types of customers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I forgot, you live in Maryland. There's a void there and it only effects people on telephones.

Next time, wait about 10 minutes and then call back.

J

john1

Oh, I forgot, you live in Maryland. There's a void there and it only effects people on telephones.

Next time, wait about 10 minutes and then call back.

lol

Typically if your calling someone, you know who DIS IZZZZ

People never cease to amaze me.

showcase 66

May always seems to be a slower month for me. Not sure if it is Graduation time around here and everyone is putting money towards that or what. June has always been a good month. I have come to figure out what months I can do more and what months to spend less.

What works for me, when I get in a funk, is to re arrange the office/shop and do a real good cleaning. Once it is all done, I am more motivated and productivity goes up for me. Beginning of the month, I was that way. Rearranged the shop and it was like a new life in the shop.

Sometimes though, you need the slow time just to re energize yourself.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guess I'm backwards... I always become more motivated the busier we get. When things get slow, I'm making up sales and promotions to move things fast.

Other than photographers, flower shops or gown stores, I can't imagine why prom night would interfere with people buying signs or having trucks lettered, let alone doing the signs in the wing of a hospital or re-vamping a restaurant's menus.

tsgstl

I mean this with no disrespect but...

if you have no business and are slow then sitting back, not working so hard, raising prices, blah blah blah Does not sound like the answer to me. You are a young guy forget about rest and relaxation or burning out. Work hard now and those things will come later. To me burning out and frustration and the always up and down times are the drawbacks of not having to answer to anyone, being able to do your own thing, being proud of what you have built. Man up or you will never make it.

Your goal right now is to build relationships that last. Making connections that you will profit from.

J

john1

Hey guys, I went out to dinner last night with the lady and relaxed and today i am feeling much better. I am going to focus on my strengths and what i want to market more and go from there.

I really don't know my strengths as i have a few different products i profit well on and enjoy working on. There is really not just one.

You guys always have great advice and i appreciate it!

J

john1

Glad you feeling better John

I was stressed about some current issues i was having with certain customers. You know the type who have a "logo" but designed it themselves and thinks they have it in a proper format when it's 300dpi and just 3" in size. Of course they want it on a 4x8' sign and that's not going to work.

Realistically, I am completely letting go of cases where customers don't want to pay for things to be done correctly. I will give my pricing, walk away and if they come through they do. If not, no big deal. I'm not letting garbage go out of my door.

Funny how some understand they are strictly the customer and not the designer and let us guys/gals do what we do and others think they are a jack of all trades.

xxaxx

I was stressed about some current issues i was having with certain customers. You know the type who have a "logo" but designed it themselves and thinks they have it in a proper format when it's 300dpi and just 3" in size. Of course they want it on a 4x8' sign and that's not going to work.

Realistically, I am completely letting go of cases where customers don't want to pay for things to be done correctly. I will give my pricing, walk away and if they come through they do. If not, no big deal. I'm not letting garbage go out of my door.

Funny how some understand they are strictly the customer and not the designer and let us guys/gals do what we do and others think they are a jack of all trades.

You have to stop letting that get to you ... people are dumb and that is NEVER going to change ... just laugh it off, drink some beer after work (or during) and move along. And if they want you to print junk, print it, get your cash and move on to the next one.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's what a side door is for. You're gonna wanna do your best at all costs, but there will always be those jobs that will pay well, but still make you cringe while doing it. We just did one a week or two ago. She gave me all kinds or silly parameters to follow and she finally agreed on my least favorite, but we did it, put it up, got paid, but probably won't show it off to anyone.

I was gonna post it as how some things you don't like will work, but don't be afraid to charge for it and just not admit to it.

As for your quoting.... always be prepared to be sh!t on and hammered on quotes. That's the percentage cost you put in automatically which will deal with those deadbeats, should they go with you on a job. Some call it a PITA factor. Just always be willing to walk away and not keep asking questions and looking desperate. Let them keep coming or pestering you.

HulkSmash

Sell your stuff, get a steady pay check from a sign shop who deserves your services. I'd hire you.

and who every said money can't buy happiness is wrong.