Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever see a wrap go this bad?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by Desert_Signs, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Desert_Signs

Desert_Signs verboden

Jan 31, 2011
    Is this just sun damage or is something else going on? Arlon 6000XRP with 3220 gloss lam. It was installed about May 2010. The design was just a blue sky with clouds. You can sort of see what the original colors were where I removed it over the seam. We're not warrantying it, as it's over a year, but I'm just trying to figure out what happened. In some of the pics you can see what looks like splash marks and one where it looks like a droplet started the failure. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Stealth Ryder

Stealth Ryder Very Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    What the Hey? What kind of Ink, media, lam??? Just asking, but it was gassed out properly right?

3. Desert_Signs

Desert_Signs verboden

Jan 31, 2011
    Media and lam is in the first line of text. :smile:

HP L25500 with HP ink. Arlon 6000 XRP. Arlon 3220 lam.

4. k6media

k6media Active Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Did they clean the vehicle with a paint thinner?

5. Desert_Signs

Desert_Signs verboden

Jan 31, 2011
    I wasn't at this shop when it was installed, but the installer said he cleaned the vehicle with denatured alcohol. I was leaning towards sun damage, but the rest of the wrap, including the hood, still looks fine.

6. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    Do they park under a tree by any chance?

7. Desert_Signs

Desert_Signs verboden

Jan 31, 2011
    Don't know. I might attribute it to something like that, but what about the nearly solid black area? That used to be blue and white.

8. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
  9. Desert_Signs

Desert_Signs verboden

Jan 31, 2011
  10. JoshLoring

JoshLoring Very Active Member

One: that media has a lot of problems. Two: Denatured alcohol can be used as a fuel similar to diesel. It is NOT recommended for prepping as it leaves a residue on the paint. Use isopropyl instead. Three: offgas for 24-36 hours before laminating. Four: Client neglect of washing and waxing.
    All of these are factors although the exact problem is undetectable.

11. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Something cheap about this....

12. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Why I still get work Paint does not do this.

13. Desert_Signs

Desert_Signs verboden

Jan 31, 2011
    A sincere thanks to both of you for your informative, on topic replies. There's nothing more annoying than people who post completely irrelevant useless information in a thread just to see their post count increase.

14. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    you seem upset............ Anyways, I hope your company didn't warranty the wrap on the roof. That's usually a no no

15. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    i would want to say that the denatured alcohol wasn't the culprit, as I prep aluminum panels with it all the time and never an issue.
    My guess? Hot, Dry, Arizona sunlight simply cooking it?
    Talk to your supplier about the issue and they will most likely have a better answer for you as to why their product is failing. I'm sure you're not the first instance of such a thing in your area.

16. Tifosi

Tifosi Member

Aug 7, 2011
    that looks like a digital print with lam that I just pulled off of a panface. It had darkened so much you could barely see the print. I wold contact the media manufacturer on that one!

You say the print on the hood was fine? It does look like heavy sun damage.

17. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I'd have to chalk it up to inexperience. Often times stuff like this happens when a sign shop misconstrues itself as a wrap shop. Thanks for the pics though. I've put them to good use.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  18. Desert_Signs

Desert_Signs verboden

Jan 31, 2011
    Inexperience caused the vinyl to fail this spectacularly? Did you happen to even look at the pictures? Or are you so convinced that everyone is out to steal your business your thought processes are screwed up?

Did you ask who produced and installed this? No, of course you didn't. It's much more fun to be smug, isn't it?

19. MontereySigns

MontereySigns Member

Jun 19, 2009
    +1 for all of Josh's comments.

Also, sometimes the manufacturer's of laminating films can have uneven dispersal of UV inhibitors throughout the film (equipment failure). Add to this the Arizona sun and you might see serious damage such as your wrap. This could explain why the hood is fine but not the roof. It may be worh sending samples back to Arlon for lab testing.

-Bud

20. Desert_Signs

Desert_Signs verboden

Jan 31, 2011
    Nope, not upset. Just find the post whores comical.

And, if you've read my first post, you'd see that it was indeed not warrantied.