• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ever see a wrap go this bad?

Desert_Signs

Is this just sun damage or is something else going on? Arlon 6000XRP with 3220 gloss lam. It was installed about May 2010. The design was just a blue sky with clouds. You can sort of see what the original colors were where I removed it over the seam. We're not warrantying it, as it's over a year, but I'm just trying to figure out what happened. In some of the pics you can see what looks like splash marks and one where it looks like a droplet started the failure. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2011-08-20 18.26.39.jpg
    2011-08-20 18.26.39.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 125
  • 2011-08-20 18.26.30.jpg
    2011-08-20 18.26.30.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 2011-08-20 18.26.49.jpg
    2011-08-20 18.26.49.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 2011-08-20 18.27.01.jpg
    2011-08-20 18.27.01.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 2011-08-20 18.27.09.jpg
    2011-08-20 18.27.09.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 116

Desert_Signs

I wasn't at this shop when it was installed, but the installer said he cleaned the vehicle with denatured alcohol. I was leaning towards sun damage, but the rest of the wrap, including the hood, still looks fine.

Desert_Signs

Don't know. I might attribute it to something like that, but what about the nearly solid black area? That used to be blue and white.

JoshLoring

One: that media has a lot of problems. Two: Denatured alcohol can be used as a fuel similar to diesel. It is NOT recommended for prepping as it leaves a residue on the paint. Use isopropyl instead. Three: offgas for 24-36 hours before laminating. Four: Client neglect of washing and waxing.
All of these are factors although the exact problem is undetectable.

HulkSmash

A sincere thanks to both of you for your informative, on topic replies. There's nothing more annoying than people who post completely irrelevant useless information in a thread just to see their post count increase.

you seem upset............ Anyways, I hope your company didn't warranty the wrap on the roof. That's usually a no no

MikePro

i would want to say that the denatured alcohol wasn't the culprit, as I prep aluminum panels with it all the time and never an issue.
My guess? Hot, Dry, Arizona sunlight simply cooking it?
Talk to your supplier about the issue and they will most likely have a better answer for you as to why their product is failing. I'm sure you're not the first instance of such a thing in your area.

Tifosi

that looks like a digital print with lam that I just pulled off of a panface. It had darkened so much you could barely see the print. I wold contact the media manufacturer on that one!

You say the print on the hood was fine? It does look like heavy sun damage.

CheapVehicleWrap

I'd have to chalk it up to inexperience. Often times stuff like this happens when a sign shop misconstrues itself as a wrap shop. Thanks for the pics though. I've put them to good use.

Last edited:

Desert_Signs

I'd have to chalk it up to inexperience. Often times stuff like this happens when a sign shop misconstrues itself as a wrap shop. Thanks for the pics though.

Inexperience caused the vinyl to fail this spectacularly? Did you happen to even look at the pictures? Or are you so convinced that everyone is out to steal your business your thought processes are screwed up?

Did you ask who produced and installed this? No, of course you didn't. It's much more fun to be smug, isn't it?

MontereySigns

One: that media has a lot of problems. Two: Denatured alcohol can be used as a fuel similar to diesel. It is NOT recommended for prepping as it leaves a residue on the paint. Use isopropyl instead. Three: offgas for 24-36 hours before laminating. Four: Client neglect of washing and waxing.
All of these are factors although the exact problem is undetectable.

+1 for all of Josh's comments.

Also, sometimes the manufacturer's of laminating films can have uneven dispersal of UV inhibitors throughout the film (equipment failure). Add to this the Arizona sun and you might see serious damage such as your wrap. This could explain why the hood is fine but not the roof. It may be worh sending samples back to Arlon for lab testing.

-Bud