• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Everyone is a designer these days

Sign Works

I'm doubting we'll be burning screens for this. For the quantity, just heat press them but... he wants a tight cutline. Aka we're right back to needing vectors.

Just amazes me sometimes what people are actually selling. Mind boggling.

Tell them you will need to recreate artwork in vectors, 1 hour = $75.00

Flame

How can this not be easily replicated for screen printing? Even a huge tiff file, you could sep out the colors. Would be a 5 color shirt. Easy peasy. I would do it and take the guys money. If the document was 150dpi and at least 13 x 18 it would come out nice. I was expecting a lot of gradients and mixed colors until I saw the thumbnail...

I do believe you're missing the point. The point being that a customer paid a "designer" to create artwork, yet this said designer doesn't know what a vector is, created a very scary and hideous layout, created too many colors to make a COST EFFECTIVE screen print, and if this designer had any say in the marketing of this business then we'll throw in the fact that there's really no message to be seen here. It is not an effective marketing tool at all as people look at it and have no idea what's going on. So it's a multi-level fail but is being sold to this customer as "professionally designed" .

Yes, i could redraw this for free, yes I could mockup a better layout for free, yes I could separate the colors to create screens for print and give him a smoking price or erase screen fees...... However I have a large board full of orders right now and don't feel like today is the day I should become a whore. :corndog: This industry has enough of those.

p3

Killin me. Opportunities to make easy money. Give em' a quote on a 4 or 5 color shirt. If they pay your price, you're making money...on an easy set up. I'd do the job, as long as they agreed to pay.

nikdoobs

Actually I'd kind of like to order one too. If you take the job can you print me an XL? How much would it be with shipping to Lafayette, LA?

Flame

Killin me. Opportunities to make easy money. Give em' a quote on a 4 or 5 color shirt. If they pay your price, you're making money...on an easy set up. I'd do the job, as long as they agreed to pay.

:peace!: I of course quoted all options to them including screen printing and recreation of the logo and setting up cutlines to print and press apply. When I said I'll have to turn it down, it's not because I am not capable of producing this artwork (quality of the design not even being mentioned to them), it's because they do not understand any fees I'll have to charge to create it because they were told the artwork is print ready. They were sold an Audi, and slipped a 92 hatchback civic with an audi sticker on the front.

I wasn't trying to make this sound like a difficult project, I can make anything work if you pay me. But customers don't understand design fees, or screen fees when they have someone else they've worked with longer telling them they don't exist, or the artwork is "ready to go".

Stanton

Grand dad is dead.
Kid wants Grand Ma to fund his fantasy.

That is fifth grade art at best.

There is no reason to consider this crap.

Do not engage.

Drop it like a hot rock.

C

ColoPrinthead

Actually I'd kind of like to order one too. If you take the job can you print me an XL? How much would it be with shipping to Lafayette, LA?

:Big Laugh
Add me to list for a large, seriously.

ForgeInc

How can this not be easily replicated for screen printing? Even a huge tiff file, you could sep out the colors. Would be a 5 color shirt. Easy peasy. I would do it and take the guys money. If the document was 150dpi and at least 13 x 18 it would come out nice. I was expecting a lot of gradients and mixed colors until I saw the thumbnail...

Yeah, sucks someone paid to have that "designed" but kinda agree, this is a 15 minute re-draw tops.

wctsigns

Even the designers are bad sometimes

I just did a 4'x8' banner today with artwork provided by a large oil company and 2 of the logos were raster and the layout was designed smaller than 4x8 so of course when brought to the right size were terribly pixalated. This came out of the design department of a large company with "expereinced" designers. :(

vectorizeimages

I logged in to this forum so I can find someone who understand color separations. I want to learn this technique practically, not just thru video tutorials so I can add it to my portfolio of services. If there is someone who could help me, i can do for him few color separations for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

firstclassvinyls

The thing that really bothers me is that in my town some of our customers don't like paying for design fees which really kills me however there are some that pay for things like this :banghead:

oksigns

Before doing signage, I worked in a small print shop where anyone can walk in with their designs. I would see this on a daily occurance and THE WORST print jobs were the Etsy supplied files like for Disney's frozen and what not. Out of the dozen or so Etsy designs, non of them were of quality work nor did they account for bleed or even CMYK! ack..

ol'phart

The Low Down

Anybody with a Visa card can buy a computer with Illustrator or Corel draw and proclaim themselves a "Designer". Just because you own a pipe wrench doesn't make you a plumber but because these tools exist we are all forced to compete with this kind of stupid on a daily basis. I spend a great deal of my time trying to educate my clients on the difference between hack work like this and effective design and marketing. It's an uphill battle but until designers have to be tested and licensed we have no choice. Whether you refuse the job or not is up to you. You either make signs for other sign makers to envy, make signs to please yourself or make signs for money. Making signs for money is the only choice that helps keep the rent paid.

Good Luck

Task in 99designs

:peace!: I of course quoted all options to them including screen printing and recreation of the logo and setting up cutlines to print and press apply. When I said I'll have to turn it down, it's not because I am not capable of producing this artwork (quality of the design not even being mentioned to them), it's because they do not understand any fees I'll have to charge to create it because they were told the artwork is print ready. They were sold an Audi, and slipped a 92 hatchback civic with an audi sticker on the front.

I wasn't trying to make this sound like a difficult project, I can make anything work if you pay me. But customers don't understand design fees, or screen fees when they have someone else they've worked with longer telling them they don't exist, or the artwork is "ready to go".

I usually have them vectorized by creating a "Task" in 99designs. In my experience, quality has been good. Price has been cheap (usually around $15 to $25)