• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Excessive tool travel on the Roland when cutting.

threeputt

Does anyone know how to reduce tool travel when cutting?

Put another way, I'm sending a file to VersaWorks that is a cut only file.

It consists of many, many names for office doors. I've arranged things in my native vector program so they cut efficiently. (blocks of text stacked, etc.)

But Versaworks cuts a name here or there, then rolls out yards of vinyl to cut another name, then back three or four feet to cut another name, then spools to a different location, and on and on.

How can I send things to the Roland so that it regards it as a single unit and cuts efficiently, starting at one end and straight thru to the end of the "unit".

I hope this makes sense.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what program is your native program, but try saving it as outlines only, then .eps.

I used to have that problem years ago when one program recognized another program files differently. So by making all outlines and saving as an .eps did the trick for me.

Here's the kicker, it didn't happen all the time. There seemed to be a nasty somewhere using a shortcut or a tool in the first program and that set the whole thing to fail like yours is doing.

Simply re-opening it in a new document by copying and pasting the outlines only.... did it.

threeputt

Thanks Gino, I'll give that a whirl. Seems like I dealt with this issue before and licked it, but apparently didn't make notes in our procedures manual.
(like I tell employees to do)

My failing. Can't get good help these days. Drat!

CanuckSigns

Another option is to cut, then paste the objects in the order you want it to cut them.

For some stupid reason it insists on cutting them in the order that they were created or edited.

Easy fix = One little function called sequence plot. (hint hint....new version of VW)

No kidding, my 20 year old Gerber plotter has this function, I would think the newer roland would too!

dcurtisroland

Another option is to cut, then paste the objects in the order you want it to cut them.

For some stupid reason it insists on cutting them in the order that they were created or edited.

Easy fix = One little function called sequence plot. (hint hint....new version of VW)

VersaWorks responds to layers or object manager in Illustrator and Corel, respectively. Try breaking out all the cut lines in order in the Layers window or the Object Manager in Corel. We've tested this and it works great for sequential cutting. If it's multiple copies of the same file, use the Custom Cut feature in VersaWorks.

So it does respond to the order it was created, but that order can be altered to be more efficient.

-Dana

petepaz

+1

threeputt

I'm running 4.7.1 and don't see it.

Can you tell me where it's found?