• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Experience with Medal Foils?

MCV

Just wanted to get some real world experience with the medal foils. I am looking into adding some silver medal accents to some prints and have never used any of the medal series. Does anyone have an example of something they have printed? how well does it hold up outside if laminated? does it cover well lets say printed on black vinyl? anything else I may be missing?

Thanks again.

Ghost Prophet

We have used a gold leaf foil that holds up very well on trucks... Person who previously had the job put them on the trucks without laminate and they held up pretty good for over a year. We put laminate on ours, though. :p

Also highly recommend a white base layer.

petepaz

we use them all the time and we laminate as needed
(indoor use no problem but outdoor or anything that may come in contact with solvents
always lam)
and i print silver and gold on black vinyl with no problems the colored foils i usually have to put white behind them or they don't pop but usually the metals are ok

MCV

Thanks for the responses so far.

I dome many of the labels/decals we produce with the rest getting lam just wasn't sure if these fade in the sun or the concern with the outdoor use is rubbing or chemicals.

Also how does the silver medal compare to lets say a chrome vinyl? I have some decals I print right to chrome even though there may only be a small portion being revealed. These are the instances I would like to use the medal.

Does anyone have a sample they can show?

centralart22

we use them frequently. Pros-no primer necessary, you don't need a wht backer with gerber foils b/c the medal foils already have a wht backer, higher detail level than can be attained with chrome vinyls / Cons-no 2nd surface printing-Gerber foils have a wht backer and zero nine foils are matte on back side, cannot print on top of medal foils using overprint-you have to accept those tiny registration errors the edge gives you. As to your questions about fading, they don't really fade but rather tarnish as any metal would outside but it won't scuff like the chrome vinyls do. If you need a sample pic send me an email and I'll see if I can find something laying around.

Gene@mpls

Sorry about the crappy pict but this has been on our frt door facing
south since Dec 2004 and is still as new. Gerber silver metal with a
1mil laminate from Graphic Marking Systems. The lettering, headlamps,
door handles and wheels are chrome.

Attachments

• lowride.jpg
    lowride.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 67

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i'm thinking the people that are saying to use a white primer, are using METALLIC foils not MEDAL foils...there is a difference....medals don't need primer....i did baseball bat labels for a customer....gold medal on black....he'd apply and then "shellac" (or whatever sealing process he does) them...they were real sharp looking....

MCV

Pat, they look good. Is that the Gerber brand medal? and no primer just straight to black? Thanks again.

Jase

I have to agree, you don't need to apply a base color, just print straight with the medal foils, some fantastic results. The 'cheaper' metallic colours will require a base coat if you do print onro darker colours.