• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Export from Flexi with live fonts?

Kripted

I have some old flexi files that I need to edit in Illustrator.
Is it possible to export the file and still keep the fonts live or will they always be outlines?

visual800

in my experience whenever something leaves flexi and goes to illy, the fonts are no longer fonts BUT whats weird is Ill get a PDF from a customer and illustrator does recognize their fonts. I never could explain that

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If you're able to export from Flexi, there used to be a box to check to convert fonts to curves. Uncheck that, if it still exists (I don't use Flexi on this workstation, so I can't confirm that option still exists). The text will probably have weird breaks and kerning (at least, that's how it used to export), but it should retain the font.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Kripted said:
I have some old flexi files that I need to edit in Illustrator.
Is it possible to export the file and still keep the fonts live or will they always be outlines?

I would not recommend exporting EPS or AI files from Flexi with live fonts intact. Like GaSouthpaw said, you'll probably see at least some (or a lot of) kerning or tracking errors. That might force you to re-build the text objects in Illustrator if the fonts are usable in Illustrator.

We have archived Flexi files dating back over 20+ years. We used CASmate prior to that. Since Flexi can open old CASmate files it also can support those old CASmate SCF fonts packages. Text objects set using SCF fonts may, at best, be converted to outlines when exported in EPS or AI format. Or the text objects could be disregarded.

Current versions of Adobe's applications do not support Postscript Type 1 fonts anymore. That could be yet another issue for keeping certain live fonts intact when exporting.