• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exposed Neon C/L Mounted to Dimensional Back Panel

I have a customer who wanted that giant channel letter type sign. Well, he has been picking here and there, and now I received a type of a sign that he wants being an exposed neon C/L mounted to dimensional back panel.

He tells me the back panel would be 2 inches thick, which I have never seen a substrate this thick before...

Secondly, not sure if this would be individual channel letters with neon inside of them with clear acrylic faces, as the description does say clear acrylic with green, yellow, blue and red trimcap.

I am just trying to get clarification as to what C/L mounted means, and if this for a fact would be channel letters.

Thanks!

onesource

If it is metal and the sides were formed on a brake or has a 2x2 frame of some sort. Yes they are referring to channel letters mounted on the 2" material and as far as C/L I dunno, ask the to clarify that might mean. Sounds like you don't have much experience in lit signs and I would encourage you to find a local that is. You could end up in a mess.
I have a customer who wanted that giant channel letter type sign. Well, he has been picking here and there, and now I received a type of a sign that he wants being an exposed neon C/L mounted to dimensional back panel.

He tells me the back panel would be 2 inches thick, which I have never seen a substrate this thick before...

Secondly, not sure if this would be individual channel letters with neon inside of them with clear acrylic faces, as the description does say clear acrylic with green, yellow, blue and red trimcap.

I am just trying to get clarification as to what C/L mounted means, and if this for a fact would be channel letters.

Thanks!

Would anyone have any insight on which way to go on making a dimensional piece that would be 13 foot by 18 feet. I know I will have to panel this, so I am just wondering as to what substrate we can use to panel it. Channel Letters will overlay onto it.

Thanks.

for the 2" back panel? maybe HDU?

Kind of whatI was thinking.Or make a steel frame that is welded, than either rivet, or somehow attach the aluminum the steel frame that is dimensial look, than mount the channel letters to that...

I really dont think my customer knows if it's actually 2" think. he may be speaking out of not knowing...

onesource

Aluminum! hdu is going to be heavy, you need to build as light and strong as possible. You can use 2x2 angle also.
Where are the transformers going to be?

Aluminum! hdu is going to be heavy, you need to build as light and strong as possible. You can use 2x2 angle also.
Where are the transformers going to be?

Transformers will be mounted remote with conduit...

Yes, 2x2 angle I am thinking to make a blind mount, that way I can mount another set of 2x2 angle onto the wall, and have it reverse onthe backof the sign, than just lift and lean against, predrill hole atterns, apply bolts, and done.

There will be two signs...

Now comes the fun part Quoting this bad boy...

cgsigns_jamie

C/L = Channel Letters

exposed neon C/L mounted to dimensional back panel

Sounds like this sign consists of channel letters with clear faces (exposed neon) mounted to what we'd call a wire way. We make our wire ways out of 2" X 2" aluminum tube then skin it with .080" aluminum and an .063" aluminum return.

C/L = Channel Letters

Sounds like this sign consists of channel letters with clear faces (exposed neon) mounted to what we'd call a wire way. We make our wire ways out of 2" X 2" aluminum tube then skin it with .080" aluminum and an .063" aluminum return.

C/L=CHANNEL LETTERS. Man do I sound retarded. I think it was because of that spacing there...

That would make sense, the wire way... The only thing is, that I think that this would need to be a wire way box inside of dimension some how in the back... Will most likely do that. Give me a couple of minutes and I can post the layout.

Layout Attached

Attached is the layout and dimensions if you can make them out.

Attachments

• chapala1 (Small).jpg
    chapala1 (Small).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 148
  • chapala2 (Small).jpg
    chapala2 (Small).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 131

cgsigns_jamie

Wow! That's a nice little project you got there.

I'd probably make the wire way a little deeper so it's easier to work with. Maybe 4-5" deep.

HERE is a photo of a sign we did that has a similar construction. The difference is that your channel letters will have clear faces and be flush mounted. Also your wire-way will be a custom shape.

Like I said in my previous post build a support frame out of 1" by 1" aluminum tubing (2" x 2" may not be necessary). Then have the face cut out of .080" aluminum, then use .063" x 5" aluminum to create the returns. Then mount your channel letters to that.

cgsigns_jamie

The Green panel is the face of the wire way. The green section is actually 5" deep.

The channel letters, however, are mounted with a 1" stand-off to allow light to "halo" around the letters.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Is this your design or is someone else doing this?

Seems to me he should ask about thicknesses before telling you what they are.

The front letters may be 4-5" thick (issues I see is, will the neon fit on some of those strokes?), (as mentioned) the backer can act as a wireway 4-5" thick.

I personally would get the file, redraw it so is it realistic with some scale person... these signs seem very large and out of proportion to where they are supposed to be mounted.

Is the square footage to code?

Is there a sign program for that center the restaurant is at?
Is it compliant to that sign program?

The lower sign - Is that in the pathway of pedestrians, (ADA issue)
Will a car block it?

When I mentioned the last time that the cabinet could be a rout out (or push thru) panel... well it would have worked.

Things I would look into and do.

Is this your design or is someone else doing this?

Seems to me he should ask about thicknesses before telling you what they are.

The front letters may be 4-5" thick (issues I see is, will the neon fit on some of those strokes?), (as mentioned) the backer can act as a wireway 4-5" thick.

I personally would et the file, redraw it so is it realistic with some scale person... these signs seem very large and out of proportion to where they are supposed to be mounted.

Is the square footage to code?

Is there a sign program for that center the restaurant is at?
Is it compliant to that restaurant?

The lower sign - Is that in the pathway of pedestrians, (ADA issue)
Will a car block it?

When I mentioned the last time that the cabinet could be a rout out (or push thru) panel... well it would have worked.

Thing I would look into and do.

The guy owns the building. It goes with the same style for te restaurant. It is already sent to the city to pull the permit with our master sign electrician.

The lower sign is somewhat in the pathway of pedestrias. A car would not block it as there is no parking in that part. It has a heavy amount of traffic.
The push trough definitely would have worked,it is just not what the customer wants. He is stuck on NEON.