• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exposed Neon C/L Mounted to Dimensional Back Panel

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
The reason I mention the old sign was a lot of time was wasted on finding a flex solution where a rout out solution was probably the only economical way of doing it.

By redrawing it, and seeing the path of the neon, you will see if neon will fit in the letters and graphic elements, it's looking a little tight. The flat rendition is not showing the issues involved with making or bidding on that sign.

Did you design this or did a graphic designer?

The reason I mention the old sign was a lot of time was wasted on finding a flex solution where a rout out solution was probably the only economical way of doing it.

By redrawing it, and seeing the path of the neon, you will see if neon will fit in the letters and graphic elements, it's looking a little tight. The flat rendition is not showing the issues involved with making or bidding on that sign.

Did you design this or did a graphic designer?

I did not design this. They gave me a logo and I redrew it. As far as that layout, it is a drawing from another sign shop that the restaurant handed over to me. Yes, I will have to redraw this once more. But for illustration purposes, I just used it for now.

I will talk to my neon guy tomorrow about this as well.

Wow. Looks like a great investment. Will definitely be getting that book as soon as I have a bit of extra cash (with a family almost never) but will make for a good business investment.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I did not design this. They gave me a logo and I redrew it. As far as that layout, it is a drawing from another sign shop that the restaurant handed over to me. Yes, I will have to redraw this once more. But for illustration purposes, I just used it for now.

I will talk to my neon guy tomorrow about this as well.

Yeah, it's what I thought... I hate working on some else's fuzzy drawings. So many variables that you have to double check.

Like I mentioned before I would redraw it to see if it's workable, and present it rendered dimensionally.

Gotta be careful, most sign shops get upset when bidding on their drawings.

Yeah, it's what I thought... I hate working on some else's fuzzy drawings. So many variables that you have to double check.

Like I mentioned before I would redraw it to see if it's workable, and present it rendered dimensionally.

Gotta be careful, most sign shops get upset when bidding on their drawings.

I definitely follow you about bidding on other peoples drawings...

The first thing I do is cringe when I see other peoples name on the drawings, since I know that they have already done the work (which saves me work as well, or can) but at the same time, one does need to double check, and check your customer to make sure they are not "window" shopping and everyone is doing ten times the work and No one closes the job.

John L

As mentioned before, I think that means they want it on a dimensional backer. This is one of several we did with a simple .080" aluminum rectangle pan background, 2" deep. We used remote transformers and wired it with the zero-clearance Neon Power-Pro secondary leads because the owner didnt want PK housings and a bunch of 2" holes in his new brick. The floppy banner was by others.

Attachments

• Photo_100107_002.jpg
    Photo_100107_002.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 125
  • Photo_100407_004.jpg
    Photo_100407_004.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 143
I have a customer who wanted that giant channel letter type sign. Well, he has been picking here and there, and now I received a type of a sign that he wants being an exposed neon C/L mounted to dimensional back panel.

He tells me the back panel would be 2 inches thick, which I have never seen a substrate this thick before...

Secondly, not sure if this would be individual channel letters with neon inside of them with clear acrylic faces, as the description does say clear acrylic with green, yellow, blue and red trimcap.

I am just trying to get clarification as to what C/L mounted means, and if this for a fact would be channel letters.

Thanks!

miguelon.lizarraga, do you even know what you are doing? This is the second post where you are asking questions about the simplest things anyone with experience with electrical signs should know. Are you planning on installing this too?

As mentioned before, I think that means they want it on a dimensional backer. This is one of several we did with a simple .080" aluminum rectangle pan background, 2" deep. We used remote transformers and wired it with the zero-clearance Neon Power-Pro secondary leads because the owner didnt want PK housings and a bunch of 2" holes in his new brick. The floppy banner was by others.

Neon Pro is the worst Secondary cable you can use and has the highest capacitance, even worse than the old jacketed black stuff by Paige. I would highly advise anyone not to use this stuff unless a applications really calls for this stuff, and I don't even know what that would be.

pointjockey

I'm really digging this sign. Very nice:thumb:

HERE is a photo of a sign we did that has a similar construction. The difference is that your channel letters will have clear faces and be flush mounted. Also your wire-way will be a custom shape.

John L

I hear you on the capacitance of the PP cables. These were fairly short runs but behind the brick where the LL didnt want holes drilled because he has no faith in tenants remaining any period of time, is structural steel in the most awkward configuration we have ever seen, and a finished interior maintenance room where the trans box had to be wall mounted. If we could have been allowed to make a hole someplace during the survey we would have done things differently.

Neon Pro is the worst Secondary cable you can use and has the highest capacitance, even worse than the old jacketed black stuff by Paige. I would highly advise anyone not to use this stuff unless a applications really calls for this stuff, and I don't even know what that would be.

731SignTech

Looks like channel letters mounted on a pan to me....... and if you do channel letters on a pan , you will not have to put a UL sticker on every letter as u would if you had the channel letters direct mounted.

UFB Fabrication

I definitely follow you about bidding on other peoples drawings...

The first thing I do is cringe when I see other peoples name on the drawings, since I know that they have already done the work (which saves me work as well, or can) but at the same time, one does need to double check, and check your customer to make sure they are not "window" shopping and everyone is doing ten times the work and No one closes the job.

Not only that But using someone else's drawings could end up in a law suit. Unless the customer has paid the other company already for the design. As you can see the value in this drawing you will not like it when another shop does it to you. The customer may or may not realize what they are doing.

I hear you on the capacitance of the PP cables. These were fairly short runs but behind the brick where the LL didnt want holes drilled because he has no faith in tenants remaining any period of time, is structural steel in the most awkward configuration we have ever seen, and a finished interior maintenance room where the trans box had to be wall mounted. If we could have been allowed to make a hole someplace during the survey we would have done things differently.

Now isn't that nice of the LL!

But I bet he doesn't tell his potential tenants that he doesn't think THEY will exist long when they enter his office. He might as well tell them "just don't get a sign, they aren't that useful because our OWN studies have shown that they don't get hung on our walls for very long!"

I guess this solves your capacitance issue & application need then.

You know, all this sort of has a "cappy" feel to it.