• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Extended Warranties

Wild Hare

I have a Mutoh Falcon OD Jr. and the 1 yr. warranty is just about up. I have been contacted by GEI Calgraph to extend the service agreement but it is $2045.00 for one year. It includes labor, travel and parts & up to 2 print heads per year. This seems kinda expensive to me. Do I have other options?

Jamie

mystysue

We were just contacted about getting one for our versacamm. It was about 2000.oo also.. We discussed it with the saleman we purchased the machine from and He sai It did not think it was a good buy.. that we could get alot of repairs done for that amount.. and would be very unlikely that our machine would need more than that amount done to it..
we decided against getting the warranty

Replicator

My full servicing on a versa-camm was about $400.00
including trip charge and all parts and labor . . .

I hope it won't need any service for a few more years !

Techman

i had a service deal with my encad, 2200 a year. All i had to do was call whenever any thing came up and the tech was out right away. Usually prevent maintained it in the long run. I got my moneys worth. You just gotta use it. Even if its just to clean and set the darn thing.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Service contracts are only a good deal for those selling them. Way back when I was a corporate warrior one of the things I did was price service contracts. These are far more lucrative than the product itself. If you pay $X per year for a service contract it's an odds on bet that you're not going to experience $X worth of violence in that time period.

You're always money ahead to work without a net and pay ad hoc for any needed service. Of course those selling service contracts will regale you with horror stories of how this or that person was saved from a life on the streets and perhaps debtor's prison because their machine exploded into a pile of greasy parts and their trusty service contract was right there tho save their ass.

What they don't tell you is the vast majority of service contract holders never even come close to using up $X of service per time period. Sort of like a lottery. For every winning ticket there's a few million non-winning tickets, Each one bought an paid for. With service contract, for everyone saved from ruin, there's thousands who are not.

If you can afford a service contract, you can afford service. The latter is always cheaper.

Checkers

Hiya Jamie,
I'm from the camp that swears by a service contract.
Sure it would be nice to know how to troubleshoot and fix my own printers, but if I'm fixing my machine, it means that I'm not making money. Besides, I'm a production person that makes money by designing and making signs, graphics and other "visual" products.
Here's a link to a similar discussion that came up a while back...
http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9850

Checkers

dhamlett15

Extended warranties are priced by statistics of how likely something will happen and what the average it will cost to fix. Ive heard from a friend that use to get kickbacks front selling extended warranties and said he got an average of 30%-70% of the cost of the warranty for commission on selling it to the customer.

Jackpine

I have a Mutoh Falcon OD Jr. and the 1 yr. warranty is just about up. I have been contacted by GEI Calgraph to extend the service agreement but it is $2045.00 for one year. It includes labor, travel and parts & up to 2 print heads per year. This seems kinda expensive to me. Do I have other options?

Jamie
I have the same printer and I was offered $1,700.00 1 year from GEI Calgraph. I passed. I talked with the tech guys where I bought mine and they said if you are handy the toughest is changing the print head. You can get parts from many places and there is a maintenance manual available. I also believe $2k could buy a lot of service. Have you had trouble with your printer? I have replaced a maintenance station, (capping station and pump, comes in one unit). Only the capping station was bad and I replaced a wiper when I did the ink change, that's' been it.

Flame

I got the same notice last week. I am tempted to get it, just cuz of how often my printer has broken (over a dozen). But.... it's been good so far..... so....

I don't know. Might have to think about it.