• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

external HD

DRPSignsNGrafix

OK, I keep my quickbooks file on a external HD so i can take it with me to work on laptop. Well i went to plug it in today and it's just clicking? Does this mean t's gone bad? ANyway to get info off of it?

Sign_Boy

damn it, is there anyway to bring it to life to get info off of it?

You will probably have to bring it to a Tech. Sorry Dude

alive.jpg

Checkers

Of course you keep a back up in another location - don't you?
Break out the phone book and look up computer repair - data recovery. Unless you can get lucky, be prepared to spend quite a few $$$ for this service though.

Checkers

Shovelhead

Of course you keep a back up in another location - don't you?
Break out the phone book and look up computer repair - data recovery. Unless you can get lucky, be prepared to spend quite a few $$$ for this service though.

Checkers

:peace!:

Attachments

• preethi laughing.jpg
    preethi laughing.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 112

DRPSignsNGrafix

no there was no back up of this info. Good thing there wasn't a lot of info on there. I opened new company in quickbooks., ANd iiii'll be backing it up for sure.

Sparky

Depending on when the head crashed - that is what the clicking is coming from - you will likely be able to get it recovered. If it broke in transport/not powered, then you will be OK, but if it broke while spinning, the chances of irreparable damage is greater.

Also - decide the value of that information before you take it to a recovery center. It is something that you can not do, nor can most people, and they charge accordingly...

Techman

I would try to enter that drive via a DOS listing. 99% of the time if you can enter the drive at all you can get your data back thru DOS.

There are dozons of software utilities around that will get access to a drive. Clicking sounds are not always a bad thing if the head is merely seeking but cannot find an allocation table. Redoing the alocation table may give you a chance. Its not over yet.

I could charge about 300 if i got data back. Some other places do the same with that guarantee. No data = no charge. Some data back = charge..

Dan Ripper

That has happened to me twice. Sent them out both times to try to retrieve the data to no avail.

Now I use Western Digital passport drives. They are plug & play with no internal moving parts. You can get a 250 GB for about $150.00

cOrKinSA

Call the Manufacturer and tell them you need to send it in for replacement and data recovery. If it is still has a company warranty, you may not have to pay for anything except shipping. Go this way before paying for someones sevices you might get for free from the Manufacturer.

Sign_Boy

Bang it with a hammer that will stop the clicking.

I'm with Dan on the WD drives.
No internal moving parts.
It's a great thing to have.

DRPSignsNGrafix

ok well after thinking about it long and hard. And figuring out there was only 3 customers on it. Started new company last month. IT was no big loss. So after my bad week so far. Have figured out the fix for it. I felt good. And took agravation out on all Hard Drives everywhere for everyone. U should see what a 30-06 armored piercing round does to one of these things. There is nothing left to it. :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::Oops::Oops::Oops::Oops::Oops::beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer

ofthenorth

the arm is most likely stuck trying to read the data...
give it a shake or a light tap against your other hand...if it doesnt stock the clicking.

take it apart....recover the data to a cd SOON!

Sign_Boy

ok well after thinking about it long and hard. And figuring out there was only 3 customers on it. Started new company last month. IT was no big loss. So after my bad week so far. Have figured out the fix for it. I felt good. And took agravation out on all Hard Drives everywhere for everyone. U should see what a 30-06 armored piercing round does to one of these things. There is nothing left to it. :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::Oops::Oops::Oops::Oops::Oops::beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer

I call shenanigans on this post LOL:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh

DRPSignsNGrafix

It's the great thing about being out in the middle of nowhere
I'll post pcs tomorrow, no camara here today. Left it at the house.