• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Face-palm / No taste

Colin

Does it bug me? No, but it makes me sad and frustrated.

I suggest that if it makes you sad and frustrated, then it does indeed bug you. :wink:

In two years, when his crappy boat lettering peels off or fades, maybe he will come back to you.

I don't know (and did not suggest) that the assault-on-the-eyes job he got done elsewhere was made with calendered vinyl. It may have been made with cast, but that doesn't change the most important aspect - the hideous design.

But odds are he will just show the sketch you gave him for free to the cheap guy to replicate.

I would like to see the other guy attempt that from a low-res JPG.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's jobs [or lost jobs] like this, which makes all the other jobs you get so much more rewarding.

Targeting one bad customer is not gonna make you any money. Relax, take a chill pill and move on. Why look at things where you almost could've predicted the outcome ??

A long time ago, I decided not to concentrate on jobs we lost or were outbid on. It won't pay any bills. Not wasting good energy on bad seemed to work. We don't lose many jobs, but when one does puzzle me, such as this one has you, I simply call the customer and ask them what I did wrong, so I can possibly correct myself in order to get future jobs and possibly even his/her work in the future. I seldom shove things in their face, unless they do something uncalled for.

If losing a $150. job has messed with your mind as this one has..... then perhaps you should take your business in a different direction.

However, remember this..... rejection is something that is not necessarily wrong. You've been rejected because of high quality and high price. Nothing wrong with those standards if you are still getting 40% to 50% of your quotes. We probably quote out somewhere around 40 or more quotes a week. It's very tiring, since I do the vast majority of it, but we are getting about a 65% or 70% return. With our standards, I'm very happy with our bottom line.

Billct2

But odds are he will just show the sketch you gave him for free to the cheap guy to replicate.
This isn't going to happen, he's already got the job done and is happy with it. He didn't want to spend any extra to begin with so he's not going to pay twice when he doesn't know the difference anyhow. And most importantly having it redone would be admitting he was wrong, which no one likes to do.

Last edited:

Marlene

it's the difference between letters entered into computer and designing with a font. people don't get the difference as they only see a design if it has a bird or whatever included in it. I like what you did as it clearly has been designed, not just how the letters fell together. this is our world and what makes us of value. anyone can buy a "vinyl cutter" off from e-bay but it takes some one with some skill to get it to do something worth while.

Colin

^^^Yup.

Here's how I replied to his last email:

Hi John,

With absolutely no offence intended, you received a name on your boards done in a font (complete with bad kerning) which would make any good, professional designer/signmaker/typographer cringe, wince and possibly cry. There are a number of fonts which are loathed by good designers, and this is one of them.

Colin