• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Failed Serial Port on Computer

tdgraphics

Hi all,

One of our computers which is used to control 2 cutters (Serial) and the Edge (Parallel) has just had one of its comm ports fail. We cannot get it to work, which means that at present we need to fiddle round the back and exchange cables between to the 2 cutters - a real pain.

So I thought that it would be a simple task to put in a new serial card, cannot find and ISA card anywhere. New computer seems overkill om cost. So finally thought about a print server with Parallel and Serial ports. I have found only 1 available and it costs a fortune. So before we shell out €500 on the print server I was wondering if any of you have used a Serial print server for your cutter.

Thanks in advance for the comments and advice.

Techman

ARe you sure your serial port is out. I have never in all my years ever observed a dead serial port. Unless it was an add in card.

Often it was a conflict with another card that used the same irq address. Have you checked the config files to make sure there is no conflict?. Sometimes a serial mouse can cause a problem. OR a modem. or a sound card.
In that case there are serial cards all over the net.
ISA? do youhave PCI slots? If so,, here is one with goodies all over it.

http://www.perle.com/products/Seria...pserialcards&gclid=CPWmofPbwIsCFR6AWAod3GDH1Q