• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Favorite Quote from a Customer Today

Patrick46

So I'm sitting in my van at a parking lot and a guy knocks on my window. I roll the window down and he says,"Do you make signs?"

I know this story ^^^ all too well...

I drive a VERY decorated 1950 hot-rod panel truck for my shop truck. On one side my company's name has 6 different kinds of gold & silver leaf work on it, and the other has alot of graphics, and a pictorial with my company logo also. And, of course, BOTH sides have things like signs, truck lettering, hand pinstriping, illustration & design on there.

I constantly get people walking up to me and ask me..."who did this work for you???" HUH??????? Are you people high?????? :banghead:

(I'm rather a smartass, and I often tell 'em that there's this kid that lives up the hill from me, and I give him dope money to do this for me!)

Patrick46

I recently had an older gentleman (82 I believe), come into my shop for graphics for his hot-rod.
He was very 'alive' for his age, with a great wit (which I love), and a great zest for life! Vey funny man.

After laughing & chatting with him for a bit, he told me..."you're NEVER too old to have a happy childhood!"

Hmmmmmm....pretty profound if you ask me!

signgal

OMG signmeup, i wish I had a dollar every time...

and Jill I feel ya on that last one after dealing with Blackberry lady up there and look... a new one! These always kill me!

The office manager's e-mail:

Hi Teri,

Finally decided on the window sign with the border, trusting your recommendation. Personally I still prefer the other one... Oh well. :)

What do you say to that? *whispers behind her hand* I told her boss and my personal friend ROFL

It's like the plumber who prefers his design to yours, tweaks it with you and then says, "looks good. right?"

onesource

"How much is a sign?" is the one that should get everyone going
What kind of crazy questions have we asked in other industries?

mollygrubber

WOW, just read this thread and does it bring back memories.

On the phone number thing earlier, my number just had a prefix difference for the local movie theater and pizza place. The owner wanted me to change my number and even tried to get the phone co. to change it but they would'nt unless I approved. I used to take orders for pizza and give great deals ready in 10 minutes . I gave fake movie titles and prices to people when they called. Finally I took a transfer to another state (1992) and I told him for $100 I would change it, he gave me cash. Ten years later I saw him and he's was still pis@$%.
I worked for a huge paint blending facility and a customer needed paint asap so I told her to send me a sample, she faxed it. I called to tell her that I needed a sample in hand because the faxed sample comes thru as black not in color. After 10 minutes of trying to explain it to her (brunette), she slams the phone down, 30 minutes later a courrier shows up with the sample that was a dark blue.

Thanks for sharing potential problems to a newbie!

Herb

Jillbeans

Wednesday the phone rings right at suppertime.
"Will you be there tomorrow at 6PM?"
"Sure" I say, then wait till 7:30.
Friday the phone rings at suppertime. Same guy.
"Can I have this sign by tomorrow?"

GypsyGraphics

From the most indecisive client on the planet:

A few days ago I receive two emails, one at nearly midnight, the other two hours later at 2am. He's sending photos to be used in his project, that never seems to end. I'm up and working, so I file the attachment, but don't respond because IT'S THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!

Yesterday (Sunday) I get this email:
I have to ask. Are we finished? I have emailed three times with no reply. I really do know I am difficult but in a semi fun way... I hope. Should I look into getting another designer. So let me know what is going on, I really do want to finish this.

This morning (Monday), I finally respond, during normal business hours:
boring stuff, followed by...
So after this lengthily reminder of my rates, schedule and hours of operation; in response to your questions... yes, you are difficult and indecisive, but fun... a conundrum of a client, if I do dare say. But yes, if you need a designer who responds to emails in the middle of the night and on weekends, you should look for another designer.

I figured we were "finished" (in his words). But this email just arrived.
Well, first, you could never send a “to long” email to me. Second, I’m sorry, it doesn’t pay to send emails when you are in an intoxicated and in an inebriated way. Maybe I just keep making excuses to not get this done.

I always figure emails that come in at 2am are just from fellow insomniacs. Who scans photos and sends business emails in the middle of the night, when they're drunk. I didn't know that was possible.

Mosh, can you do that?

customcreations

My fav right now. Customer calls and specs out basic one color race car lettering and I right down the order and give him the price. He says he wants it but has no money right now. He says just hold my order and I will call when I get the money. LOL I have a small stack of these orders laying on my desk.

Patrick46

racecars.......Hmmmmmmmmfff!!!

had a guy stop in, told me he had a brand new car, 'very' nice budget to work with, and was gona leave the car with me for a week...do to with as I pleased!!! $$$$$!!!! my mind swirled with groovy ideas as to what I was gonna do with this thing.

by the time it came to me...I had 1 afternoon to work with, and $250 budget.

racecars...(or should I say 'racecar OWNERS!')....hummmffffff!!!!

GypsyGraphics

Another... so soon...

Got a return call today form a lady who’d called yesterday asking about the cost to design a flyer.

Lady: I went to Office Staples Depot ;) and they’ll do a flyer for way less than what you charge, but I know it won’t be as nice. So how much would it be if I didn’t want anything fancy? Just tell me what it would cost to just throw something together real quick, really nothing fancy at all.

Me: Well, what did Office Staples Depot ;) say they’d charge you?

Lady: Less than half what you charge.

Me: Then I’m sure that what it’ll cost.

A long very silence...... then click.

Mosh

I always figure emails that come in at 2am are just from fellow insomniacs. Who scans photos and sends business emails in the middle of the night, when they're drunk. I didn't know that was possible.

That is when I do my best work....too hung over during the day to do any!

SoCalN8V

FRIDAY 1pm:

Me: Did you get the email I sent you a week ago with the revised design for your boat graphics?

Customer: Yes, but I've been busy all week so I couldn't come in until today.

Me: No, problem - are you ready to sign off on the design?

Customer: No, here are more changes I want.
(hands me three pages of drawings and notes)

Me: Okay, I can have a revised design for you by early next week.

Customer: I wanted my boat graphics today so I can install them tomorrow (Saturday)

Me: There are a lot of changes here and I already have several jobs I'm working on for today. I don't think I'll have time to work on your design today let alone get it finalized, cut, weeded and taped it by 5pm today.

Customer: Well, I'll check back with you later to see how you're doing.

FRIDAY 3pm:

Customer: Did you work on my design?

Me: No, and I won't be able get to it today but I can work on it Monday.

Customer: Then, give me my drawings back - I'll find somebody else to do it today!

Me: (Hip Hip Hooray!) Kept his deposit of $200 for my time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We just finished a job last night [early this morning] around 2am.

Goes like this:

My customer meets us at the store yesterday around 4pm and gives us our last minute instructions and we get under way. He then tells me to e-mail him a NEW proposal for another store we're to do, first thing so it's on his desk, so he can get us a deposit for Thursday payables. I did that at around 3:30am so it was there before him. We also invoiced him for the store we finished last night..... this morning.

I get a call early this morning that he's confused.... why does he have two invoices ??

Ahhh.... one's an invoice and the other is an estimate based on your instructions.

Don't people listen to themselves or do they all play it off the cuff ??

Dice

We just finished a job last night [early this morning] around 2am.

Goes like this:

My customer meets us at the store yesterday around 4pm and gives us our last minute instructions and we get under way. He then tells me to e-mail him a NEW proposal for another store we're to do, first thing so it's on his desk, so he can get us a deposit for Thursday payables. I did that at around 3:30am so it was there before him. We also invoiced him for the store we finished last night..... this morning.

I get a call early this morning that he's confused.... why does he have two invoices ??

Ahhh.... one's an invoice and the other is an estimate based on your instructions.

Don't people listen to themselves or do they all play it off the cuff ??

Man Gino I hope that was a big job or you're a night owl. I'd charge a hell of a lot more to push it out at 4am.

Fatboy

I had a customer call and ask me to donate a banner.......I asked what for......She said they had a budget for banners but they spent it all with my competition and they needed a extra banner and they wouldn't do it for free.......

I said what makes you think I will work for free......? I don't know.......was the answer......

I said sorry .....you should have call me about the order to star with........Its not my problem now........

Crazy people in the world.........
I can not believe that! lol