• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Favorite tools on installs

Dennis422

What is your favorite tool on installs?
Is there something that you can not be without when installing vehicle graphics?

I'm getting my tool supplies together and I was wandering what is needed and what is your favorite, for example squeegee type, rivet tool, do you use magnets, etc.

As always, :thankyou:

ScottyAdams

+1 to felt squeegee and heat gun.... and also add the yellow wrap gloves. I love those things. You can touch the adhesive side with them and have no worries about doing so.

Keith Jenicek

Knee pads
Sissors
Letter Opener
Painter's Tape
Felt, Hard Vinyl Squeegees
Big Squeege (modified to 18")
Lil' Chizzler
Exacto Knife (with plenty of blades)
Grease pencils
Blowtorch (with extra gas)
Alcohol & Water Spray Bottle
All-Off, Rapid Remover Spray Bottle
Clean rags, & finishing rag-lint free
Magnetic rulers
Magnets
Metal ruler
Texas Hold-Em Belt Carrier (for most of these items to be on your hip!)

Sign Works

Must have ...

Attachments

• 25_powerlock.jpg
    25_powerlock.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 92

Dennis422

Is there a difference between color coded squeegees?
I have seen same company having white, yellow and blue ones.

Is the Gold squeegee that much better then the rest of them and which one majority of the installers prefer?

Graphiki

wet squeegee is awesome or avery blue squeegee with the felt.
There are also softer ones for doing contours.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Is there a difference between color coded squeegees?
I have seen same company having white, yellow and blue ones.

Is the Gold squeegee that much better then the rest of them and which one majority of the installers prefer?

Call your supply company and have them send you one or two of each. The different brands/colors/types I have found all have advantages in different materials/installations/substrates. Felt edge squeegees are great, but you can make your own with self-adhesive felt from a craft store & cheap squeegees.

ucmj22

I really liked the avery felt wrapped squeegees. ended up having 2 problems with them.

#1 if youre using avery wrap material you will go through at least 2-4 per job due to the amount of pressure you have to use tearing up the felt.

#2 the non felt side blows really big ones. doesnt slide on anything and deteriorates easily. You will really mess up a graphic using that side.

I used the avery felt wrap and silver squeegee as a pair for a while, then found a product by Rob Ivers, I think, that is basically felt or flock decals that you wrap around any squeegee. Now I just wrap one edge of my silver squeegee with flock and its the perfect tool. The gold squeegee is good too, but I find it has no advantage over the silver.

I also wouldnt do a wrap with out my Rolle Pro and 3M channel roller tools. Worth every penny on those.