• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FDC Sign Question

Sdegen2008

Wanted insight from you all about some FDC signs I am trying to do. They look off to me.

Here are the specifics:

- This is a rush job and I could only get a 15" roll wide roll of red reflective vinyl to me in time. This creates a problem because there is a seam (see photo). I am not sure how pertinent or important this is honestly. These signs seem just to kind of "tick off a box" for my client but I still want to produce a good quality product.

- The FDC text has to be a minimum of 4" high - I have them here at 4.25" high.

- The specs are 0.80" aluminum, red reflective vinyl with white reflective vinyl lettering

Am I being too picky about my worries? Is there a way to make the seam less noticeable? Should I increase the kerning on the FDC to fill up the sign more?

Thank you :)

Attachments

• Example of FDC.jpg
    Example of FDC.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 344

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure, how hard you tried, but just about any vendor in the USA will have 24", 30" or even larger in stock, but you need to pay for it.

That sample looks like sh!t. How would you feel if every thing you bought was patched ?? Guaranteed, you'd be b!tchin'.

Tell the customer, you simply need more time or they'll hafta go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Billct2

I'd run it by the client, but knowing how these signs are used, and that it's a rush, probably to meet an inspection deadline I think they will accept them as is

unclebun

I've never done an FDC sign on a diamond blank. They have all been white signs with red letters, and a rectangle just a little larger than the letters. 6" letters on a 9x12 if I remember right. But, yeah, seamed on a 24" sign is a bit odd.

Sdegen2008

Hey Guys,

I appreciate the feedback- I'd rather hear the honest truth out of experienced individuals than just wing it and put out a bad product. I am mostly a print shop so I don't get my hands in much of this, that's why I wanted comments on the "seam". I think it looks like shit too.

I will see if I can just push off the customer or maybe do the seam down the center as some of you said.

Appreciate the insights!

Z SIGNS

Rush changes everything.Seams are normal and
there are no complaints about anything when its rush.
Depends on how well you know your customers expectations.
Rush job you say.
Tell em you can cobble something together, give em the rush price & make some money.
And yeah like others have said that's a funny looking fdc sign,put the seam in a better spot & you/they can get it anywhere pretty quick from any mill.
This could be a nice money making job.

Johnny Best

I just get the .080 reflective blanks with round corners and holes from Grimco. You can get white, red, orange reflective and they have assorted sizes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've never seen specs for a diamond shaped FDC sign in my life, til you said it. Not saying there aren't any, but after quite a few years of making them both ways,... reverse and not..... about a 12" x 18" or 24" is by far the most common. In that case, your 15" would've work. However, the fact remains, whether they accept a patch job or not, that is the work of a hack, regardless of what anyone says. Is that all the better you can muster up ?? That will be your reputation, should you choose to have one. Yep, they get the job done, but not correctly.

Sdegen2008

I've never seen specs for a diamond shaped FDC sign in my life, til you said it. Not saying there aren't any, but after quite a few years of making them both ways,... reverse and not..... about a 12" x 18" or 24" is by far the most common. In that case, your 15" would've work. However, the fact remains, whether they accept a patch job or not, that is the work of a hack, regardless of what anyone says. Is that all the better you can muster up ?? That will be your reputation, should you choose to have one. Yep, they get the job done, but not correctly.

I actually took your advice, got the seam issue fixed and sent off a verification photo to customer. They are happy and I am finishing up job now.

My last want is to be a hack- that's why I came here :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, good for you. So, they never saw the spliced version ?? Even for inspections, to get the job done right, just means someone hasta order a little earlier or someone have the correct stuff in stock.

I like happy endings. :clapping:

Sdegen2008

Well, good for you. So, they never saw the spliced version ?? Even for inspections, to get the job done right, just means someone hasta order a little earlier or someone have the correct stuff in stock.

I like happy endings. :clapping:

Yep, never sent them a photo with the splice showing - too risky in my opinion. I figure, signs101 first to get feedback, fix problems, then send off to customer. Now they never know I made a mistake haha

mkmie

Lost Soul
Yep, never sent them a photo with the splice showing - too risky in my opinion. I figure, signs101 first to get feedback, fix problems, then send off to customer. Now they never know I made a mistake haha
You are a very gracious person. If someone called me a hack when I was reaching out for some advice I don't think I would have handled it as well as you. Well done.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You are a very gracious person. If someone called me a hack when I was reaching out for some advice I don't think I would have handled it as well as you. Well done.

What the heck is that supposed to mean ?? You trying to start an argument with me, using Sdegen as the bait ??

All kindsa people come here looking for help. Some are earnest and some are not at all. He was searching for answers and he got them..... both good and bad, but nowhere was he insulted to the point of how you make it sound.

If I had used the analogy of what you might want to hear, do you think he would've handled it the way he did ?? I highly doubt it. Sometimes the truth hurts. How else do you say it without making your point heard..... and understood ??
This member has earned my respect. Not because he did what I suggested, but because he did come back and fess up. He is a doer and not just another hack, like so many on here. :thumb:

Sdegen2008

What the heck is that supposed to mean ?? You trying to start an argument with me, using Sdegen as the bait ??

All kindsa people come here looking for help. Some are earnest and some are not at all. He was searching for answers and he got them..... both good and bad, but nowhere was he insulted to the point of how you make it sound.

If I had used the analogy of what you might want to hear, do you think he would've handled it the way he did ?? I highly doubt it. Sometimes the truth hurts. How else do you say it without making your point heard..... and understood ??
This member has earned my respect. Not because he did what I suggested, but because he did come back and fess up. He is a doer and not just another hack, like so many on here. :thumb:

Hey Gino,

I appreciate the accolades. I was definitely not insulted- I knew in my heart the work was not as good as it could be and I want to get better at this.

Oh and PS, I am a lady for all it's worth ;)