• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fed up & need to vent

neato

Some of the responses here are incredible.

THE GUYS MOM DIED! I don't think coroplast signs were his first concern. He just lost a parent.

Some things in life trump business. That's why it's good to have a backup plan for vendors. We have to understand that.

weaselboogie

Agreed neato. When my mom passed, I could care less about anything, especially business. I'm a one man shop, so I simply didn't take calls or respond to customers for a week. It may have pissed off a couple of customers, but I didn't care and when the shoe is on the other foot, you will understand too.

strypguy

Have you had anyone die that you loved? This is really in bad taste. I'd just find another vendor and move on. I'm sympathetic towards anyone who loses a loved one. Tearing someone down who made a bad business decision at a time like that is not cool.
Sorry but in the time you had to write all this another vendor could have been found and your job completed. Just sayin!!

wow! You people don't get what I am saying at all do you?
I feel for anyone who has to go through a loss like that and I understand.
However, why when he finally did contact me did he tell me that my order was complete and being shipped the next day????? Why lie????
That's all that I am saying.
Why not just tell me that he had a loss and he would not be able to get my order out?
How is asking this question selfish and in bad taste of me?
I am giving him the benefit of the doubt here and assuming he did have a loss in his family, this is why I am not naming names or bashing.
All I was doing was venting and looking for some advise on where to turn next.
Isn't that what this forum is about?

Again, :thankyou: to all of the people who offered me help via here and PM's with my situation.

Some things in life trump business. That's why it's good to have a backup plan for vendors. We have to understand that.

That is all I was trying to do here, find a backup vendor. If you read what I wrote you will see that I had no idea if the signs were on their way here or not. The guy told me he shipped them!
I gave up waiting and found another vendor who could do them for me.
If he told me he couldn't do them I would have had them done elsewhere and I would not have had my customer up my a$$ all this time but instead he tells me that they were shipped.
Would you have handled it in a different way if you were me? Please tell me how!

Have you had anyone die that you loved? This is really in bad taste. I'd just find another vendor and move on. I'm sympathetic towards anyone who loses a loved one. Tearing someone down who made a bad business decision at a time like that is not cool.
Sorry but in the time you had to write all this another vendor could have been found and your job completed. Just sayin!!

Yes I have and I still took care of all my business responsibilities also. Does not take a long time to shoot out an email explaining the situation does it?
I am not tearing someone down. I haven't even mentioned who it is and I won't.
I did find another vendor, from here, about 2 minutes after I first posted this.
Thanks for your opinion.

AUTO-FX

I think I understand where you're coming from Bayshore dude. When you're in business, and you have taken orders from people, you at least owe some sort of announcement, and you need to be up front about it. It's you're responsibility as a business owner with customers who are counting on you.
I dont disagree with the idea that the guy had the right to blow off production - I absolutely would have done the same. The guy's Mom died.

I think I understand where you're coming from Bayshore dude. When you're in business, and you have taken orders from people, you at least owe some sort of announcement, and you need to be up front about it. It's you're responsibility as a business owner with customers who are counting on you.
I dont disagree with the idea that the guy had the right to blow off production - I absolutely would have done the same. The guy's Mom died.

:goodpost::thankyou:

I agree with Bayshore and don't think his question is heartless at all. Any businessman, at the end of the day, has a job to do. Maybe I take my work too seriously, but I enjoy what I do and I eat, sleep, and breathe it. I would never let a customer down no matter what the situation. When other companies rely on you, it's just bad business. He should have had a backup plan in case of emergencies, I don't see how it should be on you to have one. Of course it doesn't hurt, but when you're comfortable with a vendor, why worry? Right? You really shouldn't have to. If this vendor isn't large enough to handle missing work without stopping production he should have contacted you. I know I would have. But then maybe that's why I ran a business successfully for 13 years on my own. Of course it's okay to feel sorry for the guy. But when they tell you it's shipped and it's not, it's just bulls**t, no matter how you try to spin it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just have to ask, why did you shut the business down? dont you have people capable of running it for a day or two while you are gone? Sorry for your loss.

Yes, back then we had people to cover and today we still do. However, as I said before, I gave the guys the option of staying and working..... or taking the rest of the day off WITH pay. There was nothing pending or desperately needed to be done. That much I knew. I just didn't want to hear phones ringing, people talking to me when I knew I couldn't or wouldn't be able to concentrate, let alone do anything constructive.

I totally understand bayshore's predicament. I think whoever he was dealing with handled things rather poorly and it was a good business decision on his end to make things right for his company and move forward.

Whenever something goes wrong.... for ANY reason; deaths, storms, uncontrollable situations beyond your capabilities or just poor planning on your part.... one always needs to inject the S.H.I.T. factor from the giddyap. Eventually it becomes known as Murphy's Law, or as others know it by The School of Hard Knocks.

It sounds like bayshore planned for this by giving himself some extra time to get things accomplished, but for some people if things are held up one day, they are playing the game by the seat of their pants and have no room for error, regardless of how it rears it's ugly head. Therefore, when all Hell breaks loose and the whole deal crumbles.... that is not a vendor's problem if you can't plan properly.

We had one recently wholesaling to someone here at s101 and after some stressing times and experimenting, we all came out smelling like a rose. The customer had planned and put things into motion, we were thrown all kinds of curves and when things looked like they were about to go completely south.... a vendor of ours saved the day and pulled a rabbit out of his hat. All ended well and I must say, I think we all appreciate each others efforts even more after we all realized how helping each other and talking with the end-user made all the difference.... unlike bayshore's vendor.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We sleep eat and breathe yard signs. I would love the chance to work with you someday. Let me know. We specialize on the screen printed 1-3 color side. We're also a 3 day ship to NJ and an average production time of 2-3 days.