• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FedEx or UPS?

CheapVehicleWrap

Am I the only (whoops...only other) one who uses USPS? I set up our other business where 1 person can weight and label 50+ online orders in very little time using a barcode gun and a double labeling system. Post man stops by twice a day and sometimes someone will make a 3rd trip to the post office down the street.

UPS is right next door. They've come by several time with great rates but I didn't feel like changing a system that works SO beautifully.

SignosaurusRex

Lets just say .....MY UPS man (Mike) gets a Christmas present every year, knows where the coffee pot is located, and is allowed to help himself to the fully stocked shop refrigerator.

cdiesel

I've used both.. I've had problems with both.. I've had great service from both..

UPS is a little less expensive. FedEx ground tends to be a day quicker to some places.

Depending on how much you ship, they will work a discount program out for you. On some shipments, it's as much as 25%.

Around here, the FedEx drivers are all courteous, professional, and their trucks are in great shape (we do their decals! ha!). The major downside to FedEx is that there is a big difference between ground and air. Two different drivers, two different delivery times, two different pickup times. To me, that's a pain in the butt. We ship UPS.

CropMarks

I worked for Kinko's... FedEx Kinko's... FedEx Office.... for a total of 14 years. Try getting a quote online with your FedEx Account number and then go into any of the drop off locations and see what the price is there. Why the difference? I had a FedEx Tube going to Mexico... online it said it was $99... at the FedEx Office I used to work at it was $120. I still know people that work higher up at FedEx and I asked them why???? No one at FedEx could answer why. They finally did give me a $21 credit after I created enough fuss.

I used to have customers ask me why there was a difference and I used to tell them..."I don't know..... I just entered in everything just like you said, look at the FPOS screen.". Eventually the customer would become so frustrated they would just say "Just ship the stupid thing". Nice people, pretty good service... but that issue sucks and it sucks that no one had a clue of why. We now use usps and ups.

TheSnowman

FedEX. IS. THE. WORST! I've had so many problems with them. I just give up instantly whenever something is coming to me FedEx, cause it usually means I'll have to fight to get it, be there to sign it, etc. I can see how that would be nice in a rough neighborhood, but living where I do, I just want the freakin package left at my doorstep...that's why UPS wins.

tcorn1965

Good stuff, looking into that now, we've been saying lately it would be nice if you could integrate QB and Worldship. Thanks!

Been using Ship Gear for 2 years...Works flawlessly with the two programs. If you need any help setting it up let me know and I could help walk you through it, as I have set it up about 4x now.

Terry

mark in tx

I've been shipping with UPS for a few years. No problems.
After about a year of complaining, they did change my daily delivery time from the afternoons to morning, so that is a plus.

Fedex has been horrible lately, unless it is an 18 wheeler making the drop, it will more than likely be some crackhead looking person, no uniform, filthy, and in a beat up cargo van. I've had them leave packages on the doorstep at 10pm at night. Packages that are too valuable to be left.

I really hope Fedex gets their act back together.

I think it varies depending on where you are. I prefer UPS to deliver my packages because my local FedEx driver is incompetent. I usually ship via FedEx, however, because I've found it's much cheaper in the past.

Billct2

UPS, both Fedex & UPS are down the black right next to each other so I've tried both.
Around here UPS covers a wide area (CT/ & parts of NY/MA/RI/NJ) with next day service (not guaranteed but usually there 99% of the time) with regular ground service.

cartoad

Our experience is different from most of you, we prefer FedEx over UPS. To be honest it is because we are on a route with a lage mall. So UPS is a different driver almost every day, some age good, most are not, don't know the businesses, and arrogant. The FedEx guy is another guy trying to make a go of his own business. He checks over the packages, checks addresses and is always pleasant. He is welcome (and does on hot days) to raid the shop frige for a pop.

smdgrfx

+1 for FedEx. I like my customers getting their packages in 3 days or less. It may cost a little more, but the customer pays for it without complaining. I used UPS for 10+ years and got tired of ruined packages. I haven't had a problem with FedEx....ever....

We have a drop ship one block away from the shop and there is one just outside of my neighborhood. We don't ship every week, so it's easy enough to just drop them off at the pack and ship. And I do like the online ship manager with automatic e-mail notification to myself and customer about detailed shipping information on my drop-off, transit time, and delivery. Very nice and professional.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Fedex Experience:

You really have to talk to your fedex representative. They can basically give you huge discount even you don't ship that many. Just get to well enough with the rep and you will be enjoying good discount. We currently receive 60% discount on int'l shipments.

GypsyGraphics

I was really down on UPS for after several MAJOR errors in delivery. like delivering several huge print jobs to a near by competitor. most of the errors in delivery, i had to go hunt down the packages myself, because their records show the items delivered, i was SOL.

But i've definitely seen an improvement lately, haven't had a single problem this year... so i've had a change of heart.

and even when things were bad, the drivers were always very nice.

kylebrk

I was a warehouse manager for three years and had excellent success with FedEx. UPS destroys packages and has inferior technology.

i.e. if you start to ship a lot, FedEx self print label technology and rate quoter is super accurate and easy to use. Also, the have in house technical support when it goes down.

LittleSnakey

Another vote for the good old mail man.
We ship US Mail Priority all the time reasonable prices and quick delivery all over the world!

TXGraphix24

Most packages i do send UPS, they are reliable, and much cheaper. For smaller orders, such as stickers and such, as well as eBay orders, i use USPS with delivery confirmation.

econolinesigns

We us the USPS for most of our shipping. Got an account with Endicia and a scale/printer in the office. They will take any package up to 70 pounds. We get it ready to be shipped and then put a note in the mailbox. The post person comes inside and picks the package up. Great stuff! We have only had to use UPS twice in the last year. Also, USPS is far cheaper than either UPS or FedEx.

RMXGRAPHIX

Fedex for me.... about 6 years ago I had a roland pc60 shipped from Florida that I bought and UPS damaged it, UPS said it was not packaged properly, and it needed to be able to withstand a 4 foot drop. 300 pounds and 4 foot drop not good and a forklift hole in the side that was taped over not by me or the shipper. It was factory double boxed plus 6 inches of foam all the way around box number 3... never will I ever use UPS