• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Feed Motor error 0008

Jim Hill

I have an SP-300 and I just started getting a feed motor error 0008 message.

Any idea what that is and how to fix the problem.

Thanks Jim

From the Roland Web Site:

This is a feed motor over current error where a light load is put on the motor movement over a long period of time. Turn the power off, clear any media jam that may have occurred and turn the printer back on. If the error continues, please contact your local Roland Service Center.

Signstein

We have an SP-300V that also gets feed motor errors. I just have to spool out a bit of vinyl so the motor is pulling from the slack and not the heavy roll. I'd also be interested in the fix if there is one. I just assumed it was due to the age of the machine and wear on the motor. Sucks that it's happening on new machines.

garyroy

A lot of the old Roland's have a friction brake on the back spindle. The brake has a little piece of felt on it to regulate the movement of the
axle that the hubs are riding on. You can flip that brake up and off the spindle. That will allow the vinyl to spin VERY easily.
I never do it because the vinyl can keep spinning and almost unroll an entire roll of vinyl if you don't watch it.

Joe House

curious if you worked this issue out. We have had it happen 3 times now
Does this happen with one media in particular? - which one? or different medias? Have you tried pulling slack off the roll? Does this happen when printing or cutting?

Brian46

Does this happen with one media in particular? - which one? or different medias? Have you tried pulling slack off the roll? Does this happen when printing or cutting?
Thank you for the reply, it seems that our issue was the ethernet cord. We were running a longer cord and our rep suggested trying a different or shorter one. Since I went with the shorter cord it has not happened since

jeff412

Thank you for the reply, it seems that our issue was the ethernet cord. We were running a longer cord and our rep suggested trying a different or shorter one. Since I went with the shorter cord it has not happened since
Does anyone know if Service Call 0008 is the same for a VG series printer and an SP? Our VG2 is giving us this error also, but if it's a feed motor error, it wouldn't make sense for the ethernet cord to cause the issue. Our ethernet cable is only about 30 feet long.

damonCA21

I would guess at a failing or failed feed motor. I don't think the ethernet cord had anything to do with it as once the job is sent to the printer then it doesn't make any further communication, the feed motor signals are sent from the main board in the printer

jeff412

Capture.JPG

jeff412

Technician came yesterday and changed the main board, servo board, RFID Board, and the ribbon cable between the main board and servo board. It still errors out after about 10 inches of printing in the middle of a scan, so the feed motor is not running when it fails. He has opened a case with Roland Japan. No one seems to know what the problem is.

damonCA21

Does it do it on every print you try, and if you try a small job, say 6 inches long, does that print and finish correctly?
If they have changed all those parts, then it doesn't sound like a hardware problem with the printer itself, I am wondering if something is going on with versaworks and for some reason it is sending a stop signal to the printer after a certain amount of time. It is rare but I have seen something similar once where VW was randomly cancelling a print job part way through.
Try completely uninstalling VW and reinstall it and update to the latest version see what happens then.

jeff412

Sometimes it errors when there is no print job. It will do it when I power it on. However, I have only seen this when the ethernet cable is connected. I've never gotten the error with the cable disconnected.

jeff412

We do have a second VG2-540 that has no issues running on the same install of Versaworks. I will try the uninstall and see if that makes a difference.

seasamh

Technician came yesterday and changed the main board, servo board, RFID Board, and the ribbon cable between the main board and servo board. It still errors out after about 10 inches of printing in the middle of a scan, so the feed motor is not running when it fails. He has opened a case with Roland Japan. No one seems to know what the problem is.
Jeff, just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this, our VG2-640 has recently started doing this, technician says its our network but machine has been running flawlessly for 3 years on the network, we even changed the ethernet, feel like being told its ethernet cable is a bit lame.