• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

feeling sick all the time!!!

noack214

just a question...ive been working for a local printshop that runs a mimaki jf 1631....my room where the printer is measures 16x22...there is no ventalation system in my room...

now for the question....everyday after work for about 6 months to a year ive been getting extreme headaches to the point a just make myself throwup to feel better...its becoming tired-sum my doctor believes its from the fumes but i dont know...the owner has already told me multiple times she will not be paying for a vent system...what can i do??

SebastienL

Don't know about the States... But here in Canada, every provinces has a Health and safety board. They set minimum safety and health requirements. In a case like this, they can force a owner to install a proper ventilation system or shut down the place.

I'd check if there is something similar where you are and contact them to see what they can do.

Good luck.

David Wright

This question shouldn't even be asked. Act now, but be sure it is from the work environment. Do you ever have this reaction when you have the weekend off or other time off?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Although you shouldn't be getting sick from the fumes of a U/V flatbed, some people's health is very touchy with certain airborne particles and this could be it for you.
  • Are there any other printers in the room or in a room nearby you ??
16' x 22' is entirely too small for any kind of printer without ventilation in my opinion. The room which houses our smallest printer is 28' x 42' and we have no problem.

I would venture to say like the others, you should start looking for another place of employment or tell her you will do some investigating on your own as to how this machine should be properly fitted for her business.

:noway: She can get decent systems for like $3,000 or $3,500 which will work quite efficiently.​

mustafade

You can't put your health in a scale with your job.
A health person will always make a living some how some way but unhealthy person will be in bed wishing he or she would be working.
Get the heck out of there!
Oh, also call OSHA! They will know how to deal with your employer. We are not on 19th century working environment.

S'N'S

Do you get a nauseous feeling, headaches and sickly feeling go right up thru your body & even a bit light headed, I ask because I get sick from working under flouro lights, especially if there is even the slightest flicker in just one. My grandmother was a bad Epileptic and apparently I inherited a bit of it, can't even watch people play video games as it spins me out. Just a thought.

Jack Knight1979

You should see the ventilation setup I made to vent my eco/no vent roland printer.

I couldn't imagine running a mimaki like that. Get a vent system or walk.

OldPaint

Suck it up and be happy you have a job!!!
mosh you belong to the 1900's.......when that kinda schit was normal.
to the OP.....ever heard of EPA? and your employer dont want to pay for a ventilation system??? is she paying you "under the table" to??? iam an old "sign painter." chemical smells are something iam used to. mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, paint fumes..........dont bother me. ive also done body/fender work on vehicles, with synthol enamel, acrylic enamels with hardners, lacquer paint. all without respirator. the only one that messed me up was the acrylic enamel with isocyanate hardener!!!!! thought i was gona die from that. wont do that ever again.
poison ivy, oak or sumac i can lay down in it and go to sleep. dont effect me. bee, hornets & wasp stings do no more then a mosquito bite does.
NOW.......if i take a bite out of a MANGO.........NOW I GOT PROBLEMS. my lips swell up, and feel like i just ate a HABENARO PEPPER!!!!!!
point being, we all aint the same when it comes to stuff that makes us ill.
the chemicals may not bother her, but it does you!!!!!! since she is the EMPLOYER..........and she needs to make adjustments........or call the EPA.

Last edited:

skyhigh

the owner has already told me multiple times she will not be paying for a vent system...what can i do??

That really pisses me off. Tell your crappy employer she really dosen't have a choice, if the manufacturer says a vent system is necessary. If you want to operate a business, then do whats necessary to insure the safety of your employees. She is risking your health (and your life) just to save herself a buck.

You have options...
1) Walk
2) call OSHA......(ding ding)
3) go on workmans comp and see how she likes that

Is this the overhead vent system for your machine?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm_fE379FZ4

Last edited:
I haven;t taken the time to look up what mimaki recommends with that printer or the msds sheets for the ink that goes through it...but I would recommend at the very least that you do. This is your health, your life.

"IF" ventillation is not required/recommended for this printer and it is just a personal sensitivity..nothing wrong with that, we are all sensitive to something in my experience. Maybe an air scrubber or an air scrubber or a high quality respirator would make you feel better.

Regardless there is no reason that you should be sick every day from your work environment. I would strongly recommend that you investigate your particular printer, the recommendations (if any) for ventillation and the msds sheet for the consumable products that go through your machine. If you do not know where to find this information by all means speak up and I will get that info for you. Don't fool around with your health.

Mason

The Mimaki's I believe NEED to be VENTILATED.
Now having said that,
I would like to make mention that a friend who worked with one in the family business for years in a room smaller than the one you mention, with NO VENTILATION, passed away from a brain tumor, which they cant specifically attribute to the Mimaki, but feel very strongly that it contributed to his death.

Ventilate the damn machine or get the hell out of there.

John Butto

OldPaint: Mangos are related to the poison ivy family. I knew a guy that had lead poisoning from spraying signs years ago and he had the same symptoms as the OP with the vomiting as soon as he was around the smell of paint. It is your body's way of telling you to get away from what ever you doing, kind of like the drug they give alcoholics to make them stop drinking.

signswi

Yep, call OSHA. Mimaki's put off a ton of VOCs. We're vented but not really well and it's a huge room and I still have some health side effects from it. A room your size with no vents...serious issues. VOCs cause all sorts of serious mental problems and can cause cancer. Dizziness and vomiting are pretty clear signs that you're in trouble, you probably haven't felt clear headed since you started either I'm betting.