• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Female shop owners

Checkers

WBE = Woman Business Enterprise

Depending on the type of work you do, this certification can give you at an advantage over your competition when bidding on some projects.

Government contracts have a a "set-aside" which require the general contractor to sub-contract a certain percentage of the contract through small, minority or disadvantaged businesses. Some contracts can only be awarded to minority businesses. Some large corporations give bid preference to small and disadvantaged businesses too.

There's plenty of information available on the web. But it can be a costly, challenging and tricky proposition to get the right certifications in order to pursue these contracts. Here's the link to the web site that focuses on WBE...
http://www.wbenc.org/

Also check with your local, state and federal agencies. There are plenty of programs available and if you plan accordingly, there is potential to make some good money.

Checkers

Checkers

Just a few heads-up about the WBE certifications. Qualifications or requirements on just about every level of government are different. However, there are some "general" guidelines.
The "minority" must:
• Own 51% or more of the business;
• Perform and play an active roll in the day-to-day operations of the business;
• Be able to do all the "work" in the business. This includes sales, design, fabrication and installation; and
• Have final say on all decisions, financial or otherwise.
As I mentioned earlier, check with the various organizations and agencies that sponsor or support these programs to find out all the details. Most modern government agencies have the documentation online.

Checkers

WVB

My business partner is female... I do mainly the labor/design work where she does the proofing and behind the scenes stuff. Which a lot of times is just as important if not more so then what I do. Things such as books/taxes etc.

Darklight

My wife owns our biz on paper. We work it together, but there are obvious business advantages in some areas when you are female-owned, as it is considered a minority ownership.

I am one, too! I started this company with my husband. I oversee the design aspect and he oversees production, but sometimes those lines get a little blurry. We both love what we do. It's like a new art project everyday.

Pala-gurl

Well Im not a real shop owner but I do all the work for the shop if that counts, the guy who actually owns the shop doesnt even know how to get into the cutting program, so i think i may qualify ...lol :p

gvgraphics

My better half owns ours as well. "Well, at least on paper." She does the phones and taxes. I do most of the design (she also helps with this, 2 heads are better than one) and production. But she also does the most important job of all.........She keeps me in line!

Last edited: