Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female shop owners

Discussion in 'Polls' started by wannabe, May 10, 2007.

1. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    WBE = Woman Business Enterprise

Depending on the type of work you do, this certification can give you at an advantage over your competition when bidding on some projects.

Government contracts have a a "set-aside" which require the general contractor to sub-contract a certain percentage of the contract through small, minority or disadvantaged businesses. Some contracts can only be awarded to minority businesses. Some large corporations give bid preference to small and disadvantaged businesses too.

There's plenty of information available on the web. But it can be a costly, challenging and tricky proposition to get the right certifications in order to pursue these contracts. Here's the link to the web site that focuses on WBE...
    http://www.wbenc.org/

Also check with your local, state and federal agencies. There are plenty of programs available and if you plan accordingly, there is potential to make some good money.

Checkers

2. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    My wife is 50% owner also. We work together full time, have for 9 years since we purchased this business.

Here's a picture of her. Isn't she great? http://loggingsigns.com/about.html

3. doublesky

doublesky Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Fountain Valley
    I am a female shop owner... well... 1/2 owner.

4. Speeddm

Speeddm Member

Jan 28, 2007
    My wife runs the show here I just the Boy

5. maddmd

maddmd Member

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Wife is the listed owner :thumb:

6. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    My daughter and I are partners- for 10 years:biggrin:

7. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Just a few heads-up about the WBE certifications. Qualifications or requirements on just about every level of government are different. However, there are some "general" guidelines.
    The "minority" must:
    • Own 51% or more of the business;
    • Perform and play an active roll in the day-to-day operations of the business;
    • Be able to do all the "work" in the business. This includes sales, design, fabrication and installation; and
    • Have final say on all decisions, financial or otherwise.
    As I mentioned earlier, check with the various organizations and agencies that sponsor or support these programs to find out all the details. Most modern government agencies have the documentation online.

Checkers

8. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    It's mine, all mine!

9. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    My business partner is female... I do mainly the labor/design work where she does the proofing and behind the scenes stuff. Which a lot of times is just as important if not more so then what I do. Things such as books/taxes etc.

10. Darklight

Darklight Member

Apr 27, 2007
    My wife owns our biz on paper. We work it together, but there are obvious business advantages in some areas when you are female-owned, as it is considered a minority ownership.

11. mountainmang

mountainmang Active Member

Apr 7, 2007
    that's funny right there :Big Laugh

12. stip

stip New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    I own mine, 100%.

13. BlueRidgeFabrication

BlueRidgeFabrication Active Member

May 11, 2007
    I am one, too! I started this company with my husband. I oversee the design aspect and he oversees production, but sometimes those lines get a little blurry. We both love what we do. It's like a new art project everyday.

14. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I'm one too.
    Since 1985.
    Love...Jill

15. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    My wife half owns it too.
    The best apprentices we've had have been three girls over the years.

16. Pala-gurl

Pala-gurl New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Well Im not a real shop owner but I do all the work for the shop if that counts, the guy who actually owns the shop doesnt even know how to get into the cutting program, so i think i may qualify ...lol :p

17. gvgraphics

gvgraphics Very Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    My better half owns ours as well. "Well, at least on paper." She does the phones and taxes. I do most of the design (she also helps with this, 2 heads are better than one) and production. But she also does the most important job of all.........She keeps me in line!

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  18. gtjet

gtjet Active Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Pearl owns half and frankly she is the boss.

19. JimJenson

JimJenson Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    My wife owns 51% of the company stock.

20. cgsigns_pat

cgsigns_pat New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I am 1/2 owner with my husband if that counts