• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Female shop owners

S

SignTech

50/50% ........ Adria carries a lot of weight ...... she handles this business well.

She also used to own her own Hair Salon ........ I try to encourage her to go back to that ... it was more steady and predictable.

Jane Diaz

I'm 50% owner but that will soon change as we plan to include both sons. But now, my husband & I own the business and the 2 sons are employees.

MariaMartini

I own my business 100%.

My friend's dad has a contracting firm, and her step-mom is the owner. Her step-mom is a woman and Hispanic, so they really take advantage of the WBE and other minority advantages! Though my friends dad is just your typical white male.

binki

Just a few heads-up about the WBE certifications. Qualifications or requirements on just about every level of government are different. However, there are some "general" guidelines.
The "minority" must:
• Own 51% or more of the business;
• Perform and play an active roll in the day-to-day operations of the business;
• Be able to do all the "work" in the business. This includes sales, design, fabrication and installation; and
• Have final say on all decisions, financial or otherwise.
As I mentioned earlier, check with the various organizations and agencies that sponsor or support these programs to find out all the details. Most modern government agencies have the documentation online.

Checkers

Also need to be in business for 3 years.

I own and opporate my shop but my husband does the stuff I don't like to do, like stand on ladders more than 8' off the ground or dig holes to set post. He's actually getting alot more involved which I'm glad....we work well together and he's fun to be around.

YankeeBelle

Woman owned and operated for 20 years, here. Woman in graphics (me), and a woman in accounting. The only men are the installers and they usually get a hand from the boss-lady.

My wife started the business 18 months ago doig stricly embroidery. I brought into the mix direct to garment printing and now vinyl. Because as of right now my full time profession is a count employee, she is listed as the sole owner so i can do work for the county in which i work. Checked itout with all the laywers before hand.

coyote

Our shop was 50/50 til my better half became disabled. He helps where he can, but I do everything that requires two hands and all computer work. He can paint and gold leaf and helps where he can. He's a wonderful cartoonist, and if I can get him interested, I would love to present a line of his designs.
C

GB2

Old Member
Another good reason for a woman to be the primary business owner, besides the WBE aspect, is the fact that you will then increase your contribution to Social Security at a greater level and that will most likely be of greater benefit in the long term.