• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

figured out an easy way to help the Summa detect registration marks

gabagoo

I have a d140 and use a Mimaki printer. One of the most frustrating issues I have had over the years is that the opus reader has trouble detecting the little squares. I have found that certain laminates really need to be worked to get a good read. By worked, I have found that rubbing the squares with your finger for a few seconds seems to smooth out the laminate and reduce the silvering.

I have also found that the cutter seems to have trouble reading the marks on unlaminated vinyl that has been printed on matte material. Now what works even better is if you wet your finger a bit, then rub... it seems to work even faster..I have no idea why, but I will do just about anything to get that machine going so I can get back to other duties.

Again a good rub over the registration marks works wonders.
Those with Mimakis will know that you really never know which marks are going to be used so you still have the waiting game of standing at the cutter and then waiting for the Summa to instruct you to digitize the point.

Now something I learned just yesterday by fluke was that sometimse the cutter head goes into a search mode and this can take minutes before it decides to give up and signal you to digitize the mark. I found that while it is doing this if you twirl the stem that controls the reader up and down, the cutter immediately stops the search and when you put it back down it will resume once more...if you lift it one more time it then signals you to digitize the point. This is a great time saving thing to do. Those that get stuck standing waiting for the cutter to search out the marks will appreciate this...

Terremoto

We run a Mimaki printer and a Summa cutter here and the Summa never misses the registration marks - laminated, unlaminated, matte, even the static cling stuff. The Summa OPUS is legendary.

Dan

paul luszcz

I've been considering a Summa plotter (with the infamous OPUS system) and a Mimaki printer so it would important for me to resolve the issues between the OP and Terremoto.

Is there any reason the Mimaki in particular is less effective with OPUS?

Is a matte finish the problem?

Sounds like one guy has all kinds of problems and other is having great results. What gives?

LittleSnakey

Same here, no problem at all.

Only material we have trouble with our summa is when printing on chrome, or metallic vinyl.

It has never, not found the marks on white vinyl, matte or gloss.

Now I could never get the fc8000 by graphtec to find the registration marks on gloss vinyl, the salesman couldnt even get it to work properly so back it went to be replaced by the Legendary Summa!

FrankW

The first generation OPOS could run into trouble with Marks printed with a Mimaki. The second generation OPOS X should work wirhout problems.