• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

file back up

tanneji

we have 2 external hard drives that our NAS gets backed up to every weekend. One stays on-site and the other goes offsite. My boss just runs a batch file script that copies everything new over. It seems to work pretty well and is simple. We have only had to use of the backups once but it would have been devastating otherwise.

choucove

All of our files are stored on a central file server and shared to each person from there. We use a simple program called Backup Magic to copy the entire data drives of the server to two external hard drives. The first external drive is backed up daily automatically and remains on site, and the second drive is backed up every two to three days and taken off site.

Backup Magic is very easy to set up and use. It basically sets up a script to copy everything from one place to another, and you can set the backup type such as mirroring, which will move over any new or changed files, and also delete from the backup files that you have deleted in the main data folder making an exact duplicate of the source location.

tanneji

cobain backup does a great job too and its totally free. you can set it up on a schedule and it will copy entire drives including subfolders and system directories

ChiknNutz

I use a Windows Home Server. It performs a couple of key functions (1) acts as a central file server with redundent hard drives and (2) backs up each PC nightly. The backup is very useful in the event of your PC getting hosed, you can easily re-image that machine using any one of the many backups the server stores (default is to keep daily backups for a while, then it drops some to weekly, then monthly for 3 months). I actually have two of them, the first one I built custom and just installed the software which I use for home backups. The second one I actually got for free as a WHS beta-tester (it is the HP MediaSmart). This is the one I use for business info.

petepaz

thanks for the input
we haven't had a problem (yet?)
and we have all our customer, employee and finacial info on a back up but that system can't handle our artwork files so we are looking to get something

smdgrfx

+1 on the windows home server.

We have all artwork on external hard drive. WHS backs up all computers and external hard drive daily. Have another WHS and external drive off site that gets backed up once a month with data from shop. I know once a month is kind of long, but it works for me.