• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File Prep for CNC Router

Renato Pinto

Graphics Manager
Does anybody on here create their files in Illustrator?

We export them to DXF files but when i pull them up on the software that creates the G-Code, there are lines missing. We then have to add lines in that software so that the file cuts correctly.

What am i doing wrong? Thanks!

WildWestDesigns

Personally, I had marginal DXF output support in Ai, but bare in mind my experience ends with CS6. That could have very well changed.

What your talking with regard to cleanup is just par for the course with my experience.

KSTrooper

Wrapper, designer, illustrator
I use CorelDraw (latest version) and I have had similar issues. Try exporting as an older version DXF file if you can. I switched to an earlier format DXF (2006-2010 I believe) and that solved the problem for me.

LarryB

We always use Illustrator but down save the file to Illustrator 10 eps. We are using Enroute software

fixtureman

Does anybody on here create their files in Illustrator?

We export them to DXF files but when i pull them up on the software that creates the G-Code, there are lines missing. We then have to add lines in that software so that the file cuts correctly.

What am i doing wrong? Thanks!
I am not sure what version that my customer uses but I have never had a problem with missing lines.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I save my files as EPS files from Illustrator and use a "PDF Import Filter" as my import setting and everything has always been there when I import it to my router software.

Sandman

I've never understood this affinity with dxf files. Half of them that I've been forced to work with have no curves, just little short straight line segments with a bazillion nodes. I have always used Illustrator and save as version 8 eps and have never had anything missing. File sizes are not huge and they import into Artcam and Vectric products perfectly. I've also never found the need to use a PDF import filter either.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
DXF export (for me, anyway) seem to work okay from Illustrator- but bringing them in is a mofo if I need to check a file. Also (as someone else mentioned), DXF files will often come in as a ridiculous number of straight line segments- usually because the person doing the exporting doesn't export as polyarcs which (in my experience) tend to be much "smoother." Then there's the person who doesn't remove the strokes off of stuff they send you, causing multiple lines- but that's a different frustration for a different thread.
Also, lot of your success with various file types will depend on the program you're using for your CNC. Fortunately for me, I use EnRoute- and it can take AI, EPS, DXF, and a whole bunch of other formats- with AI being the simplest for me, since we use Illustrator for design work.

export .pdf everytime. Solid fills, no outlines. Works everytime. dxf converts everything to this triangle based artwork because of the way it views curves. Why would I want to route that when I have perfect vector artwork to go off of.