• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File Storage

select426

How does everyone back-up their completed projects? We are currently using a network that gets slower every day for searching jobs as it is getting bogged down. What is everyone else using?

Thanks for the help everyone.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
well, with hard drives being reasonably priced, you can utilize the hot swap cradles for individual drives. As a wholesaler, I keep files about a year or so from last printing. Have a 1TB drive on a server I back the final print files to and a separate backup for my workstation. Otherwise live jobs are kept locally on the workstation and then transferred to the rip station. DVDs are an option of course but that gets costly and time consuming.

Locals Find!

I use a portable hard drive, local hard drive, an amazon cloud drive, and an offsite cloud drive from godaddy.

Its a pain to back up but, its expandable to my needs cheap and it works. I back everything up on the weekends from the previous week. I just keep a list of jobs I worked on to know which files need to be swapped out. Its probably not the most efficient way but, like I said its cheap and my backups now have backups. Costs less than $100 a year for real piece of mind.

njshorts

We offer a very inexpensive range enterprise-class redundant network storage servers (not a NAS, not a USB hard drive), scalable from 250 GB to 24 TB per unit, as well as remote backup, VPN, multi-server scalability, monitoring and a number of available services.

For more information, send us an email- info@rapidstoragesolutions.com. To help us assist you better, please provide a brief description of your needs such as current storage usage/requirement, if you'd be interested in VPN services, etc.

MatthewTimothy

well, with hard drives being reasonably priced, you can utilize the hot swap cradles for individual drives. As a wholesaler, I keep files about a year or so from last printing. Have a 1TB drive on a server I back the final print files to and a separate backup for my workstation. Otherwise live jobs are kept locally on the workstation and then transferred to the rip station. DVDs are an option of course but that gets costly and time consuming.

where in the world have you been??? with the incident in Thailand drives have soured through the roof!! I currently have 4 brand new hdds i cant even sell cause of it.

MatthewTimothy

but to your question i do use a local NAS and am currently looking into a cloud. SugarSync so far has the best priced and reviews for clouds.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Speed would be my issue for internet or "cloud" based storage. Select426 already mentioned that speed is already becoming a problem over a local network with local drives - I doubt trying to load files over the internet would be any faster.

Couple of things I'd look into for your local network. Make sure your computers and network switch are capable of gigabit speeds. You want an actual gigabit switch, not a hub. Computers that only have 100 base t network capabilities can always have a gigabit network card added for dirt cheap. On the computers/servers that hold the files - make sure they have reasonably fast hard drives (7200 rpm drives with at least 16mb of cache - preferrably 32 or 64mb cache drives) and to an extent reasonably fast machines will help as well in indexing and displaying the lists of files.

In our setup we have an actual server which serves a few purposes - Windows networking which requires anyone to logon to the network, handles sharing of regular printers for all desktops, also have a nice logon script configured which maps shared drives to all the desktops with the same consistent drive letters, also does a time sync so all machines have the same time, also runs Exchange server to handle all email, the server has a mirrored 2tb drive for primary storage of client files, and finally the server has a 9 tape IBM LTO Ultrium autoloader which does tape backups of the data (full weekly, incremental nightly).

The tape solution is getting old though and I'm looking at probably going to a hot swap drive cage to install in the server and start doing hard drive based backups swapping the drive out weekly with an offsite drive.

anotherdog

Network 2TB raid drive, nightly backup to a 2nd drive, constant slow drip backup to carbonite... the carbonite really drives up my internet usage though.
I'm thinking of upgrading the network drive to a dedicated server to speed searches. I have about 700gig of archived files there now. I also have an issue with carbontite getting incrementally slower as you store more. This means the service is NOT infinite storage.

MatthewTimothy

Network 2TB raid drive, nightly backup to a 2nd drive, constant slow drip backup to carbonite... the carbonite really drives up my internet usage though.
I'm thinking of upgrading the network drive to a dedicated server to speed searches. I have about 700gig of archived files there now. I also have an issue with carbontite getting incrementally slower as you store more. This means the service is NOT infinite storage.

thats why i suggest sugar sync