• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finally! (didnt have to purchase any media)

WCSign

So after 4-6 months of "friends and family" word of mouth promotion and having to purchase media and supplies in bulk for every single job it seems like..

I can finally say that I am invoicing a decent sized job for a local small business that I actually had ALL supplies neccessary in stock!! LOL

Vinyl
Laminate
Perf
Banner

and I had just refilled two of the ink cartridges in my roland so I didnt have to buy ink either LOL

I know its dumb, but I bet you guys can remember when it seemed like you had to buy media for every single job you did.. when I realized that I had everything in stock, it felt good

g&eprinting

I like being ready too.

Sometimes I just buy the max amount of material if the job pays for it all and I am ready for more.

You don't want too much hanging around though if it's not a common material.

WCSign

Yeah, I basicallyt let a roll of matte 6mil get crappy because it sat around (heat in garage)

didnt lose any $ on it.. used it for some art reprints to tag nightclubs and did a friends reception counter in his new business.. but I was dealing with sick bubble wrinkles while printing

the last piece of the puzzle with this latest job was the perf... and I got that roll because I bartered a windshield for my SUV for a rear window perf job for the glass company... so it was sitting here and this new business wanted thier van done

anotherdog

Congrats, you are on your way to having 20 rolls of various materials hanging around in the space behind your printer. Not to mention the 20 more "end-of-the-rolls" with a couple of feet on that will be perfect for a little job.

I just threw out almost an entire roll of mesh because it had aged beyond use, then two weeks later had to buy another roll of mesh for a job that came in.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Yep...there's a lot of money in this business....but, unfortunately it flows the wrong way during the early years.

It's a great feeling when the business begins to mature and the cash flow becomes positive.

JB

iSign

congrats on your milestone! I do remember when the topic of inventory first became "money in the bank" ...instead of a direct "expense"...

...now, so you can feel it again, better go replace it :omg:

skyhigh

wow that was a blast to the past. I remenber that time.

Today i prob stock too much material. I must have 60 sheets of various substrait in the shop. Everything from duraply to dibond.....HDU to coro.......PVC to Lexan

iSign

wow that was a blast to the past. I remenber that time.

Today i prob stock too much material. I must have 60 sheets of various substrait in the shop. Everything from duraply to dibond.....HDU to coro.......PVC to Lexan

yep, between Aluminum, dibond, coro, MDO, PVC, HDU, clear, white & non-glare acrylic or polycarbonite... I'm right about there too...

how do you store yours skyhigh?

skyhigh

Doug, I have a couple racks with dividers, unfortunately they are not equipped to handle as much as I have (especially when you throw in 1.5" HDU & 3x4 duraply). The rest is divided up and stacked against the wall.

It ain't pretty some weeks.

Ohhhhhh and to add to the clutter..... a good many years ago, I started saving signs that I replaced from the more "prominent" establishments in my area (pretty cool actually), in hopes that someday when I get that new building up, I could start my own little "Sign Museum", and display these from the walls. Unfortunately some of the most fantastic signs from my early days (before I got this brilliant idea) got disposed of. That would be the the neon & clocks & porcelain stuff.

Sick when I think of a few that I pitched.

Suz

WCS,

Nope, not dumb at all! That is very very nice! Having the materials for a job makes you feel so much better, doesn't it? I know the feeling, have been suffering through that pain myself. I feel like all I've done is shell out dough for my wide format printing, oh... because I have!!!!! Yesterday though, I made the comment that I think that even though I seem to have dumped a lot of money into our new Latex printer, I think it has paid for itself and paid a few bills too.

So, congrats & enjoy!!

thesignexpert

Congrats! That means you are doing something right and steadily working your way into a profitable business. Just continue to stay vigilant on those media purchases and control the inventory. Nice job!

mark in tx

Sometimes its kind of nice when you get a phone call at 4pm and they need 20 4'x8' banners by 8 am, and you can say no problem, I have the material in stock!

Don't forget the rush fee in that situation though.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's a lot different today from when I started.

Today, it's literally $1,000's of dollars until you've got a nice inventory going, but like I said..... when I stated, I bought a few quills and two or three 1-Shots and started lettering and making money immediately. Every truck had either a white lettering job, black or fire red or somewhere in between.

I still remember saying.... holy cow........ I just spent almost $50 bucks to do this job on my own. But when I got paid $100 at the end, I was in heaven. Back then, working for the sign shop I started in, my take-home was like $35, so side jobs were just fantastic. After ten years of that, I went out on my own.

Well done WCS.

TopFliteGraphics

Congrats! I know the feeling - just got back into the biz about a year ago and those first few jobs with virtually zero profit hurt but I also decided to "over purchase" the colors that i knew I'd be using frequently