• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finally taking time to work on something for myself.

Jillbeans

Ya, I planned on that, but not sure with what design. Ideas?
Guess I must have misunderstood this statement.
I realized you were using the ovals to carry through, but I still think a traditional bullet would be best.

Well Jilly.... I wasn't really asking for a critique but since you decided to hammer on it all I am only going to say one thing about your ideas. The bullets are a continuity factor. Notice the oval in the logo? Notice that that same oval follows through on All of the bulleted listings?

And.... I am not one to argue online because it turns into a pi**ing contest so I just posted my trailer as a "here is what I am up to now" deal. This site actually is getting really sickening because it is seems to be a I can do it better site.

Have a good weekend everyone! I am going to finish up my trailer and be damn proud of it.

:goodpost:

I have been saying the same thing. It seems to be this site was and is supposed to be a place where people can come and share and learn everything they know. Instead it's more of a "let me impart my knowledge on you and make you feel like an idiot" kind of site.

Jillbeans

I think of it as a good friend telling you that you have broccoli in your teeth.
You can either take it out and look better, or you can leave it in.
I for one would rather be told about the broccoli.

qmr55

I have been saying the same thing. It seems to be this site was and is supposed to be a place where people can come and share and learn everything they know. Instead it's more of a "let me impart my knowledge on you and make you feel like an idiot" kind of site.

But I don't think "let me impart my knowledge on you and make you feel like an idiot" was the intentions from Jill or anyone giving advice at all. It's more of a "here is how you can improve this layout/design". Remember the old saying......"two heads are better than one", this plays a part in design as well. A second (or third) set of eyes can always help because the original designers eyes are more than likely bias to his own design! :wink:

Take it for what it is my friends....not out of context.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, I might have misunderstood what you said....but if I didn't, I disagree with that first part.

I think many of the suggestions here at s101 can surely grow a business. If this design was posted ahead of time and asked for critique, he would have been given some solid advice on how to improve the wrap. Therefore, making a better impression on the individuals who see this wrap on a daily basis or even catch an eye of it. As we all know, a vehicle wrap can make a HUGE impact on a business....but what most people don't realize is a BAD vehicle wrap can make a huge BAD impact on a business and a GOOD vehicle wrap can make a GOOD impact on a business. Therefore, if this wrap was critiqued by the s101 crew it could better his business. And that is only one example of how the s101 people can help gain business. No disrespect meant, just pointing that out!

Basically you're correct. The over-all image will look better, but probably not bring in any more business.... just look better to us, as designers.

Something many people don't realize is our job is to make things look more appealing, so people buy whatever.

If you're selling your home, you will take the time to spruce it up, clean the toilets and mend some broken windows or paint a bad looking area. Selling a car ?? Wash it, wax it, clean the jink out of it, make it look presentable. However, the home or car itself is what is going to sell it or not.... not the little things you do. That's just some icing on the cake. Same in the advertising of our image as selling signs. The basic information we put out is all anyone is gonna read. For the most part, people read and look at stuff, but they aren't always aware of what makes them buy or at least buy from you instead of the next shop down the street.

So, if forman here takes Jill's or anyone else's advice, there's a small chance someone's subliminal eye will take over and buy because of something that struck their fancy, but your knowledge, background and cross-section of customers is what will really sell you or your shop's work.

Making a dynamite wrap or lettering your truck by hand or with die-cut vinyl really shouldn't do much other than get your name out there and if you wanna do it right, come here to s101.... get direction from all the many experts and non-experts and see if you can put together an eye catching well planned design/layout which not only grabs attention, but shows the subliminal you have what it takes to get the job done.

I wholeheartedly agree, your plan is a better one for most people here, but my statement was simply..... most people read signs for what they are..... information and go from there. :rolleyes:

Like they all have said... you shouldn't polish a turd, but it can be done.