• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finally!

ams

Finally I get a customer that shows me this below and says "This one is really basic, but would love for you to create on that is a little more jazzy"

I actually get freedom to make something better.

sign.jpg

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
So I know I have been a slight irritant to you (and others) but like the "Order Up!" and the "Wayfinding" church sign. You're clients (and mine) seem to suffer from interpretive descriptions....

What does "jazzy" mean?
I know what it means to me but T. Monk-ing, Brubeck-ing or Davis-ing this layout may not be in the best interest of the client.

I could show you 10 layouts in about an hour that could be interpreted as "jazzy" but since you are trying to make money and giving your client the best solution without confusing them. You need to get the client to tell you what it means. By the way, I whipped out about 20 Order Up! logos when that thread came up, one is so good, I'm changing the name and adding it to my portfolio. I did a cart design, layouts for collateral materials, a food truck, even a pylon sign design all in the matter of a few hours.

There are quite a few people on here - helpful as they are, who are not qualified to design a dot, let alone a layout. On your Order Up! thread. Some were so bad, they should never have been posted, let alone shown to a client... again, your layout was better than most shown on that thread, but that was a missed opportunity. I appreciate help and the back and forth of the process. But the client needs a qualified solution. Anyway, I hope someone gives you an appropriate solution.

I mentioned something years ago about us sign people getting a job like this...
We logo-ize the layout. We all do it. Is that what you are planning to do?

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
So I know I have been a slight irritant to you (and others) but like the "Order Up!" and the "Wayfinding" church sign. You're clients (and mine) seem to suffer from interpretive descriptions....

What does "jazzy" mean?
I know what it means to me but T. Monk-ing, Brubeck-ing or Davis-ing this layout may not be in the best interest of the client.

I could show you 10 layouts in about an hour that could be interpreted as "jazzy" but since you are trying to make money and giving your client the best solution without confusing them. You need to get the client to tell you what it means. By the way, I whipped out about 20 Order Up! logos when that thread came up, one is so good, I'm changing the name and adding it to my portfolio. I did a cart design, layouts for collateral materials, a food truck, even a pylon sign design all in the matter of a few hours.

There are quite a few people on here - helpful as they are, who are not qualified to design a dot, let alone a layout. On your Order Up! thread. Some were so bad, they should never have been posted, let alone shown to a client... again, your layout was better than most shown on that thread, but that was a missed opportunity. I appreciate help and the back and forth of the process. But the client needs a qualified solution. Anyway, I hope someone gives you an appropriate solution.

I mentioned something years ago about us sign people getting a job like this...
We logo-ize the layout. We all do it. Is that what you are planning to do?

Couldn't agree more with this information.

It goes along with the ones that say, "I don't know just make something cool!" UGH.

Or those who think a jazzy design consists of every different unreadable font, filter and more colors than the spectrum holds.

"Jazzy" can be fun and effective if executed properly. Sometimes I'll even twist it to make my "jazzy" design elements the clients idea or art least lead them to believe that anyhow.

Anyhow, good luck I hope this one is a winner for you!

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
I've known people that think "Jazzy" means all caps Old English on a curve, dark red letters on a black background.

Exactly my point. Everyone has different ideas, it's our job to point them in the right direction for maximum effectiveness.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Does the barber recommend cutting off the mullet, or just take the money and say, "See you next time!" ?

Sandman

Does the barber recommend cutting off the mullet, or just take the money and say, "See you next time!" ?
No, the barber makes it the best looking mullet possible. I'd rather be proud of my work than just take the money and run. There are people that appreciate a quality designed sign. You won't get many recommendations from butt ugly sign work. It's not difficult to steer a customer in the right direction.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
No, the barber makes it the best looking mullet possible.
Perm it? Maybe feather it?

People wake up every morning and think they look good when they walk out the door, just like their logo.

But trash is still trash, no matter how it goes out the door.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
People wake up every morning and think they look good when they walk out the door, just like their logo.

But trash is still trash, no matter how it goes out the door.
Logo should've been designs.

Designers and customers alike, there'll always be bad taste(which THEY think is good)

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Poor OP, he has 5 blocked replies on his thread.

I feel like Tex on this thread.

edit: oops, 6 blocked now.

ams

I actually have no idea who this person is and what project it's for. He is like "It's for a 4' X 8' sign in Richmond, how much will it cost?" I am like uhh........ what? I have no idea who or what this is.

I was sent a random file.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I actually have no idea who this person is and what project it's for. He is like "It's for a 4' X 8' sign in Richmond, how much will it cost?" I am like uhh........ what? I have no idea who or what this is.

I was sent a random file.

Are you on drugs???

ams

Found out what happened, apparently a guy called a week ago, said he purchased a sign and needs his company name on it and said he would email it. So basically I get that file with very little text or details. I deal with so many people, I didn't remember him because I didn't have a work order or any notes on it.