• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fine arts vs. Graphic arts majors

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I don't see how your story proves your theory. To me it shows no one with talent was going to work for free to win a design contest.

Just backwards and thanks for being the straight man in this discussion.

I was not attempting to prove anything, a futile endeavor anyway since no hypothesis is capable of proof, only of confirmation. Big difference.Contrariwise, an hypothesis is capable of disproof. In fact, if an hypothesis is stated such that disproof is impossible, then it's not an hypothesis at all, merely a tautology.

The hypothesis that I was addressing was being generally put forth as someone with abilities in fine art would also have, to a greater or lesser degree, possess abilities in graphic art. All it takes to completely and irrevocably disprove an hypothesis is a single, as in one, counter-example. Which I have provided. Which disproves the above stated hypothesis.

Q.E.D.

nikdoobs

Attachments

• mind_blown.jpg
    mind_blown.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 67

OldPaint

iam one of the fortunate ones who was blessed with "innate artistic ability." at 4, 5 i had a better concept of eye to hand then other kids my age. at 6, the 1st grade teacher told my parents they had an "artist" on their hands. 1st grade i was drawing 4th -5th grade level. high school i was able to draw from memeory almost any of the "big daddy ed roth" rat fink, hot rod car-toons he made famous. i could pretty well do any automobile in the 3 dimensional drawing. i attended drafting school after high school.........and freehanded all of my oblique, isometric & perspective drawings))))))) so when i did make it to college...i was an ART MAJOR.......... duh)))))
so my take on art, design, graphics, sign painting is well founded. each has its own values.....KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE.... is the trick))))))
i do art, i do pottery, i paint signs, i do vinyl signs.......layout and placement of text......is whats important here. ART...... has to appeal to others....with a different eye.
people like jackson polock, andy warhole, have people who love it. other hate it..... norman rockwell, same way.....i dont care for Picasso .......but love frazeeta....rowena, vargus...............
BUT SIGNS..... dont fit the same criteria. being a letterhead.......and seeing the BEST OF THAT GROUP of people.....i can tell you, creating a sign.....takes talent. you can make a for sale sign or you can make a NICE FOR SALE SIGN)))))) problem today most are the just a for sale sign made by someone who cant make a NICE FOR SALE SIGN)))))))

Marlene

i had my shop..........these kids would come in looking for work. 1st thing outa their mouths was they were GRAPHIC DESIGNERS))))) welll.at 17-20 year old, how much have you done????? i would hand them a a big yellow legal pad........and a #2 pencil ........OK.....DRAW ME SOMETHING))))) the typical response, like a deer in the headlights....."oh i cant DRAW........ but i do graphics on the computer!" RIGHTTTTTTTT....... so you can place "clip art" and fonts on the screen..so this makes you a "GRAPHIC DESIGNER?" next question was , CAN YOU READ A TAPE MEASURE??? CUT A STRAIGHT LINE ON A BOARD WITH A CIRCULAR SAW, JIG SAW????? so then my usual reply was after i got a couple no's on the questions............was CAN YOU WEED VINYL?))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

you are mixing up an illustrator with a graphic designer. graphic designers often hire an illustrator as it is a trade all in itself. I a person can do both, it is a bonus but not required. a graphic designer puts elements together to create. an illustrator may know how to draw but may not have the skills to put I together to create a logo or design.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I believe this video to be correct...

[video=youtube;QYLh94tN9cw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYLh94tN9cw[/video]

I see no difference between the two, only of the individual who can cross over
from fine art to graphics... or graphics to fine art. We all have limitations and
talents... you just need to find someone with the least amount of limitations.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
you are mixing up an illustrator with a graphic designer. graphic designers often hire an illustrator as it is a trade all in itself. I a person can do both, it is a bonus but not required. a graphic designer puts elements together to create. an illustrator may know how to draw but may not have the skills to put I together to create a logo or design.

Exactly. A graphic designer is a synthesist who combines and manipulates existing elements. A graphic designer seldom if ever creates a wholly original element. That being the case, there is little if any intersect between a graphic art and fine art. Most, if not all, a fine art practitioner does is create original elements.

Put more simply, fine art involves drawing [and all derivative activities]. Graphic art does not.

nikdoobs

When you get great customer supplied art like this it doesn't matter if you are graphic artist or fine artist. The customer has already nailed it. All you gotta do is file prep.

sign.jpg