• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fine banding

Colin

I’m getting some fine banding (see attached) on my SP540i. I’ve done a B-Directional settings check, and this "Feed Correction" test which show the banding.

Any ideas? I did a "Normal" cleaning and it didn't help. Should I try a Medium or Powerful cleaning?

Colin

Oops - here's the pic......

Attachments

• P1000990.jpg
    P1000990.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 148

cdiesel

I'd also go with the +.2% feed calibration. Keep in mind, Versaworks will override the setting on the printer most of the time (unless you tell it in VW to use the printer settings). You can change this in the "printer controls" tab.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What I always did was to do maybe up to three normal cleanings. It's a waste of ink, but it always seemed easier on the machine than a strong cleaning. If that didn't work, then I'd do a power cleaning.

We started noticing this kind of small stuff about a year into having the machine. Since Jeremy has been taking care of everything, we have relatively, no problems. He babies these machines.

Colin

One other thing I noticed is that when I click the "Preserve Primary Colors" on, I don't get the fine banding, but that gives an undesirable pinkish tone to my B&W photo. When I click it "off" to get the proper grayscale, the banding is there.

:help

Last edited:

Colin

One other thing I noticed is that when I click the "Preserve Primary Colors" on, I don't get the fine banding, but that gives an undesirable pinkish tone to my B&W photo. When I click it "off" to get the proper grayscale, the banding is there.

Oops, I meant to say:

When I click the "Preserve Primary Colors" off, I don't get the fine banding, but that gives an undesirable pinkish tone to my B&W photo. When I click it "on" to get the proper grayscale, the banding is there.

cdiesel

The primary colors thing shouldn't have anything to do with it.. probably just coincidental. Can you post a pic of the test print and a sample print with the banding?

HulkSmash

Check your feed, make sure it's optimal. I'm not sure what that is for the roland, but your manual should tell you which way. Also could be that your resolution is low?

Colin

The primary colors thing shouldn't have anything to do with it.. probably just coincidental. Can you post a pic of the test print and a sample print with the banding?

See below.

The bottom print is with the PPC off, which has no banding, but a crappy pinkish hue. The above print has PPC checked "on" to give the proper gray, but the fine banding always shows up with that checked on.

*The B&W JPG photo was saved as "Grayscale" in Photoshop (Image > Mode > Grayscale).

Attachments

• P1000993.JPG
    P1000993.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 133
  • P1000992.JPG
    P1000992.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Colin

While we're at it, can someone please explain this to me:

In VW, under the Quality tab > Color Management, what's with the "Specify Profile and Ignore Default" option? Why is that there if we select a profile up top?

cgsigns_jamie

While we're at it, can someone please explain this to me:

In VW, under the Quality tab > Color Management, what's with the "Specify Profile and Ignore Default" option? Why is that there if we select a profile up top?

You're actually selecting a Media up top. if you wanted to use media settings but a different color profile that check box gives you that option.

cgsigns_jamie

See below.

The bottom print is with the PPC off, which has no banding, but a crappy pinkish hue. The above print has PPC checked "on" to give the proper gray, but the fine banding always shows up with that checked on.

The B&W JPG photo was saved as "Grayscale" in Photoshop (Image > Mode > Grayscale).

Looks like a few black nozzles are very slightly deflected. When it's printing with PPC off its mixing in a little magenta which fills in the missing black areas but also creates a pink hue.

I'd try a head soak then a medium clean and see if that clears it up.

If you can access service mode there's a test pattern you can run that prints very fine lines. That would probably show the issue a little more clearly.

Colin

Looks like a few black nozzles are very slightly deflected. When it's printing with PPC off its mixing in a little magenta which fills in the missing black areas but also creates a pink hue.

I'd try a head soak then a medium clean and see if that clears it up.

How does one do a "head soak"?

If you can access the service mode there's a test pattern you can run that prints very fine lines. That would probably show the issue a little more clearly.

How do I do this?

Colin

You're actually selecting a Media up top. if you wanted to use media settings but a different color profile that check box gives you that option.

Wha? I was under the impression that a profile is part & parcel of the Media selection, no?

cgsigns_jamie

Wha? I was under the impression that a profile is part & parcel of the Media selection, no?

It is. When you setup your media you select a matching profile. It's just an option for that odd moment where it might come in handy.

In the 4-5 years I've had my XC I've never used that option.

cdiesel

Like Jamie said, you're turning off the preserve primary color, which is telling the RIP/printer to "make" greys and blacks using CMYK instead of just black. So the banding issue is still there, it's just being masked by the fact that you're using three other areas of the head that are firing fine. It does look like you have *one* nozzle out on the K head, which usually I wouldn't even think about worrying about.

It looks like you may have a hair too much feed going. In VW, go to the printer settings menu, and on the feed calibration setting, note the default setting. Change it to use custom settings, and reduce it to whatever the default setting was, minus 0.2%. Try printing again. Play with this setting a little to dial it in. Increasing the number will make the printer feed more before printing the next pass, so if you have dark bands, go higher. Decreasing it will make the printer feed less before the next pass. You can have negative numbers here.

Bly

The feed calibration pattern uses black only.
Unless all nozzles are firing as new you'll get some banding.

That's one reason four colour greys are a good idea.