• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

fire dept wouldn't put the fire out...

showcase 66

No, I think he was actually offering to pay whatever it cost to save the house.... which would be like paying to repair your car...

But if they didn't want to pay the $75 before, Why would you think they would pay for a full fire rescue later.

It took 2 hours before it got to the house. They could have prevented it from getting there. I have worked on fire lines where you remove brush and debris around an area to create a stop point for the fire. A 5 man crew can clear a big area fast. It also looks like they are in a farming area. You mean to tell me know neighbor couldnt have brought a tractor over to remove the brush away or even drop dirt onto the fire. Instead of doing something about it they kept doing nothing except complaining. They should have gotten off their a$$ and did something other than trying to use a garden hose. If the neighbors were that upset, they could have helped.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think so.... if they didn't pay and it was still put out... no one will ever pay in advance again, thus putting the burden of keeping that particular Fire House on the backs and pockets of the tax payers and the freeloaders only pay if they have to. Now I see what happened. I didn't know they lived outside a pre-designated area.

I guess what some must get past is..... this isn't a commune. You must pay your fair share to reap the rewards, otherwise... you're out of luck.

We donate and pay extra to the police and fire company where I live and where our shop is. Am I kissing up.... maybe, but I like knowing I'll be well taken care of in the event something goes wrong.

threeputt

So we going to get pay by day cops now too?

"oh...you live 5 miles out of the city. Can't help that your neighbor stole your car, dog and beat up your wife".

Same thing right? Tough love :)

You work for free? Nobody does. Fire and Police depts. have limited budgets, to cover limited areas.

What exactly is your problem? They did say they'd extend coverage out of the city limits to people who wanted the protection. He didn't want the protection! What part of "didn't want" do you not get?

Sheesh!

Flame

Fire and Police depts. have limited budgets,

Hmm, let me edit this. Think before you speak, still learning it.

But basically, I doubt it'd put the whole firehouse in a pinch helping out a dude.

Last edited:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator

"oh...you live 5 miles out of the city. Can't help that your neighbor stole your car, dog and beat up your wife".

My guess is this would not ever happen, lives are a bit different than property. No one was in danger, they watched it burn

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What in the world does that mean..... ?? He drives a $55,000 car and you hold that against him without knowing what his wife does for a living or what money he might've come into before he was a fire chief ?? How wrong is it judging someone by what they drive or the home they live in ??

Do you pre-judge a potential client while they park in your lot and rearrange you're pricing scale based on what they just parked ??

So, you want people to put out fires or respond to burglary calls based on what they do in their private lives ??

sinetist

Another point to consider is .... what if the FD resources (equipment and manpower) were in use fighting an out of jurisdiction blaze and one broke out in the area where taxes (or fees) were being paid for those resources. I wouldn't be blaming the FD. They likely get their mandate and area boundaries from another authority. I was in the FD here for 25 years .... the last six as the Fire Chief. If there's a possibility of an out of area incident requiring a FD's service, agreements must be in place and must be followed.

cajun312

I live two miles outside of the city limits, if I have any type of problem I have to call the sheriff who may not have a deputy any closer than 20 miles to me.
If my house catches of fire, I have to call a total volunteer rural department five miles away, they can request help from the city which has a fire station two miles from my house. If I call the city fire station they will tell me to call the rural department.

weaselboogie

And I would speculate that most of the police departments funding comes out of taxes paid by those residents and that the fire department's do not, or rather specifically in that area.

Again, he knew the rules and chose not to pay.

Had they given the guy a break and put out the fire, I'm willing to bet that it would have caused an uproar with those who DO pay for the extra coverage and how many would drop that coverage because the fire department would just go ahead and put it out anyway, regardless of fees paid.

Williams Signs

I Live just up the road from where this took place. The city claims they don't have enough money to offer the service beyond the city limits. They developed this fee to help counter some of this cost. It is sort of like insurance. Most of the small towns around here have volunteer fire depts and all of them charge a yearly fee. Here at my house that fee is $50.00 a year. If you don't pay the yearly fee and the fire dept. has to come to your residence they bill you $500.00. I don't pay the fee for one reason if I pay or don't pay my house will burn down. The volunteers around here couldn't put out a cigarette with a super pumper. :)

Flame

So, you want people to put out fires or respond to burglary calls based on what they do in their private lives ??

............................... what on earth are you talking about and how is it relevant to my Denali post?

Pat Whatley

You live in the city you pay into city taxes for city policemen. You don't live in the city then you pay into the county taxes which pay for the sheriffs department.

Maybe it's different in Washington but around here police will not answer a call outside their jurisdiction unless life is in danger. The city fire department works the same way.

Since this story is getting national attention I'm willing to bet you they establish a fee structure for coming out an putting out fires from now on and people will then start bitching when that the fire department charges too much and it's not fair to charge people who are already financially hurt because of the fire and before you know it the whole system will fall apart and the people in the city will just have to foot the bill for everybody.

Williams Signs

The bad thing is we have had a drought around here this year. We have had burn bans in place for quite sometime. The day he decided to burn his trash was windy. Those two things are going to make for a hairy situation.

Raulrdz

As a public servant, I feel you have to do what you have to do to protect life and property. I recall back in 1985 I was working in a small rural town in South Texas. A vehicle made a U-turn and got t-boned and as a result a small girl was ejected from the back of the station wagon she was riding in. As she lay almost lifeless on the roadway an off-duty state trooper came up on the scene. He began CPR and called 9-1-1. The area where the accident occurred was just outside of my city limits, I still responded. The local rural EMS contract had expired and had not been renewed by the county as such the EMS service refused to respond. I drove the trooper, the little girl and her mother in my squad car to the hospital several miles away. Folks...It happens more often than not. Sad part is that many fire departments still charge your homeowner's insurance for the full cost of a call-out whether or not you pay taxes or fees.

threeputt

............................... what on earth are you talking about and how is it relevant to my Denali post?

I think his response was to say that simply because a man drives a Denali vehicle does not in any way mean that that same man's job doesn't involve him operating under the constraints of a limited budget to do a limited job.

If he makes 100k, (and can afford the vehicle) how does that alter the fact that the City allows him a specific amount of money to do a specific job?

Ie: Run a 20 man force, with 20 pieces of equipment, to cover 20 square miles, etc. (for example)

binki

looks like they need a recall election and get someone in there with common sense. what would happen if someone died in that fire?

isnt the primary purpose of government to protect the residents and provide infrastructure? where do the property taxes go? are they not supposed to go for police, fire, roads, and schools?