• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First 3D Sign. Advice Please

Speedsterbeast

I have been asked by a friend to quote on a sign for his Tavern.
He wants 3D Letters (8 of them) in a times new roman font.
Requested finish is a brass look.

The space to work with is 29" X 30' stucco face (not sure wht is behind it)

I am looking for advice on materials and installation techniques.

I do not have a budget given, so I would like a few options.
I am thinking anodized aluminum, foam or wood. Any of these three I would not have a clue where to start so anything would help.
I would also be willing to farm the work out to a signs 101 member if I could get some guidance on installation along with it.

Thanks in advance.

DRPSignsNGrafix

Gemini if you don't have the way to make in house. Decent price and good turn around time. Then just install with mounting hardware.

MikePro

+2 gemini.
great turn-around and a product you can guarantee for life.

otherwise, if you don't have a router but want to do in-house, you can cut a vinyl/paintmask pattern and apply to wood/metal/whatever and jigsaw it by hand.
MDF is the cleanest-cheap way to go about it, but I'm a bigger fan of expanded PVC plastic upwards of cast plexi/aluminum sheets for quality.

Brad Knight

I would do these in house - CNC route the letters, or - if you don't have a CNC machine, the hard way would be to make MDF templates of the letters, something like 1/2" MDF would be fine - cheap enough to toss if you mess up and start over and easy enough to shape to where you want it.

Then using the templates as a guide, you would cut the actual letters out of HDU. It really is the best material for any outdoor dimensional signage. As far as the brass goes - I'd look at a product called sculpt nouveau - I used their copper coating on a 3D flag that's hanging in front of my house, and it's developing a natural patina because it's actual copper. Brilliant material. Their 'class C' material can actually be buffed and polished. http://www.sculptnouveau.com

Then stud mount the letter to the wall. AKA, mount studs to the back of the letters with epoxy – drill corresponding holes into the wall, partially fill the holes with silicone (don’t over fill, TRUST ME, it makes a HUGE mess), you can put a piece of high bond tape onto the back of the letters to hold them onto the wall while the silicone sets/cures. It gives you a semi-flexible bond to the wall because the wall will move when the HDU won’t.

... or the cheaper/faster/easier way would be to call Gemini.

Techman

print out letters very large on your laser printer as a template.
Cut the letters using a jig saw and mdf for material.
Cote them with two coats of shellac.

Paint them with 1shot brass or sculpt nuveau Brass B.
Done. It will be brass. Very lovely. Very low priced.