Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First banner - Woo Hoo

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by oc63rag, Jun 14, 2007.

1. oc63rag

oc63rag Member

May 7, 2007
    We did our first banner today. It's for a relative's b-day party so we did it for free/practice. We won't have our business license for another few weeks so we can use this time to work out the kinks. The design was done in Illustrator CS2 and printed on an HP5000ps. It's simple but I'm very proud of the way it turned out.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. CV Signs

CV Signs Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Very Nice.

3. BlueRidgeFabrication

BlueRidgeFabrication Active Member

May 11, 2007
    Good job and congratulations on starting your own business!

4. learned the hard way

learned the hard way Active Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Sorry to tell you, but you're gonna be doing friends/relatives b-day banners for free even after you get your license and don't need the practice anymore. It's somebody's birthday every week around here. Nice banner, by the way.

5. creative

creative Member

Mar 18, 2007
    I strongly beliece in church and state separation.

I mean business and friends...lol

6. creative

creative Member

Mar 18, 2007
    believe

7. Wild Hare

Wild Hare Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Quincy, Ca
    Good job and welcome to the biz.

8. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    nice job!

9. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Good Job !

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :thumb: Looks good

free/practice....... that'll get old real fast.........

Start charging before you get in trouble. You're materials and equipment didn't come free.

11. dswanson

dswanson Member

Mar 16, 2007
    your enemies aren't going to make you rich. friends and family pay just like anyone else and sometimes more for the pita charge

12. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Practice printing this:

We know you are a good friend, BUT nevertheless,
    we must charge you our usual fee for the services that we provide you.

Actually we dislike having to charge our friends, but we did a study,
    and found that none of our enemies did any business with us

Remember, family members have friends, and their friends have more friends - all the while thinking that you only spent $99.95 on your printer, and $49.95 on your software - materials are free (if you did not know).

Nice banner BTW!

13. JERHEMI

JERHEMI Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Banner looks good! But, from experience beware of what you make for family and friends! haha If you make something for one person's birthday, graduation, or anniversary just to be nice, be prepared to get asked to make something for every persons birthday, graduation, or anniversary! Then if you say no, you will get the "why not? You made a banner for such & such! Why can't you make one for me??" It took me about 2 years when I started out to make my family & close friends understand I'm not in the business to make free **** for them when they need it, I'm in the business to make money!!

Then I made the mistake 2 years ago and made a custom sign for my best buddy to hang around his neck for his bachelor party just for a joke that said "I'm a bachelor (with an arrow pointing up to his face) BUY ME BEERS!" Let just say the sign was a huge hit and he got free beers all night long...mission accomplished! But, making that one sign for one buddy, now when all my buddies get engaged they tell me "DUDE, YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE ME A KICKASS SIGN FOR MY BACHELOR PARTY LIKE YOU DID FOR JOHN RIGHT?!?!" Then me thinking to myself..."Oh ****, why did I make that damn sign!"haha So, instead of just showing up to the bachelor parties empty handed like everybody else and having a good time, I have to show up with a bachelor party sign or I look like the *******! haha So the moral of the story if you decide to do something for free for one family member or close friend to be nice, think twice because it isn't going to stop with that one family member or close friend! haha

14. oc63rag

oc63rag Member

May 7, 2007
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I totally agree on the concept of charging for everything you produce. Maybe I'm a sucker but I'm not comfortable charging until we're 100% legal. For this banner the person wanted to pay but we declined. We are going to give them some business cards to hand out to anyone that asks about the banner. The idea was to do this one for free and get some future business as a result.
    As soon as the license is final the "practice" will stop.
    Thanks again

15. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Someone has never heard of "cash" before.......

:rolleyes:

welcome to Signs101 BTW. Nice looking banner.

16. mgraef27

mgraef27 Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Banner Tape

Looks good! Would even look better with a hem.

17. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Just have to bust some chops...

Does that mean that your friends at s101 can get free work???? :Big Laugh :Big Laugh

18. dswanson

dswanson Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Good Idea Pro I think we all have some practice jobs he can do, and we can all start the weekend a little earlier

19. Signsforwhile

Signsforwhile Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2006
    New York
    It looks nice. One thing i would change is bleed your background!!!!

20. kendallcole

kendallcole Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Harrisburg
    looks good! :thumb: