• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First CNC router purchase....what to look for in all of these options!

klemgraphics

I've been casually looking for a CNC router for some time now and I think the time to buy is now, had my best year since I've been in business and I have the funds to purchase outright. I'm always looking for ways to set myself apart from my local competition and do bigger and better things. Need another good tax write off this year.

So I think what I would like is a 5'x10' with a vacuum table and about a 5hp spindle. I think a stepper motor machine will be sufficient but I guess servos would be great.

Some different mfgs that I've been looking at are Limac, Shop Sabre, Camaster, EZRouter, and a few others that escape me right now. I'm not looking for anything too high end as this will not be used everyday at first at least, most of what I have been looking at is in the $25-35,000 range. The Limac seems to be the best value and artbot has given it a good review but I would love to hear what others have to say. There are so many options and variations of builds that I don't know what is best.

Looking to do cut letters and 2.5d routing in PVC, HDU, and aluminum composite mostly.

I know I will get the "buy from who can service it the quickest no matter the cost" replies and while I agree mostly I'm in a good situation to have another non sign related routing shop that will most likely be able to pull me out of any jam I could get myself into if mine went down for a day or two. Personal friends of mine about a mile from my shop have 30 some routers.....I've pulled them out of jams before and they are more than willing to do the same for me. That being said they are set up for mass production, not one off sign jobs, so while they can and will if I ask them I don't want to wear out my welcome by trying to just outsource it to them.

Any suggestions and comments are much appreciated!

Oh and I had originally bought about 90% of what is needed to build a 5x10 Mechmate CNC which I still have along with the plans to build it, all I'm missing is the time.....I have no extra time to do something as involved as this anymore. I'll make someone a deal on it if interested.

klemgraphics

If you have the parts for the Mechmate why not hire someone to put it together for you.

I think by the time I do that I would have just as much invested in it, at this point I would rather just get rid of the parts as a kit for someone else to build and buy one ready to go. Also if I buy one I have someone to turn to for support which could save some headaches.

Ditchmiester

I can tell you that make sure the software that runs the machine is bullet proof. We purchased a "Cheap" CNC machine and have had nothing but head aches with it and it all stems from the software. Make sure you really get to put the demo machine they show you through the paces before you make a decision. I would look at the Shop Sabre pretty hard I was really impressed with their machines.

Last edited:

klemgraphics

I can tell you that make sure the software that runs the machine is bullet proof. We purchased a "Cheap" CNC machine and have had nothing but head aches with it and it all stems from the software. Make sure you really get to put the demo machine they show you through the paces before you make a decision. I would look at the Shop Sabre pretty hard I was really impressed with their machines.

Could you just conver it over to Mach3? That seems to be what most of the diy guys are running without much issue. I looked at a used one that the control software was discontinued and the way I took it the changeover on that particular machine would not be so easy so I stayed away from it. Could you tell me the mfg of your machine? You can PM me if you like.

fixtureman

I have a Shopbot and it does everything that I want it to do. I have had mine since 2008 and before that I had a vintage Shopbot that never gave me any problems. When I got mine I had it up and running in 2 days of it's arrival.

JJM7288

Gerber Sabre. We purchased our Sabre in 2001 and have run it daily for almost 13 years. Great, reliable, accurate machine.

johnnysigns

Gerber Sabre. We purchased our Sabre in 2001 and have run it daily for almost 13 years. Great, reliable, accurate machine.

Ours is an '04, 2 service calls for the life of this router. We run up to 20hrs a day for weeks at a time without any hiccups. If it had a tool changer I don't think I'd be considering a replacement in our future.

SignManiac

5' x 10' Multicam here. Twelve years running and just replaced the spindle for the first time this past winter. Only thing I would have to have next go around would be the tool changer as well. The vacuum hold down and dust collector on ours is worth the extra money. I hear that servo motors are better but we have steppers and have not seen reason for the upgrade.

klemgraphics

5' x 10' Multicam here. Twelve years running and just replaced the spindle for the first time this past winter. Only thing I would have to have next go around would be the tool changer as well. The vacuum hold down and dust collector on ours is worth the extra money. I hear that servo motors are better but we have steppers and have not seen reason for the upgrade.

I've been considering the tool changer, if I remember correctly it is a upgrade that can be added on some but I could be mistaken. I'm just not sure if I want to jump in with a $40,000 machine or if I should get my feet wet and see where it goes with a $20,000 machine. One thing for sure is that I want 5'x10' and a vacuum hold down. From what I am told generally steppers are fine for sign work.