• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First CNC table router purchase advice needed!

It's about that time that we purchase our own CNC table and I am looking for input on what kind, should I go used or new? what to look for in a good machine/sofware? I am looking for a 4x8 footprint.

Thanks in advance.

iSign

table size & foot print are different... but it doesn't matter because you can't buy a router worth having for that budget...

(probably can't even buy half the ones not worth having for that price)

...but if you can increase your budget, I'd suggest you look at ShopBot as the only real choice for you right now.

Techman

they just sold some cnc tables here for pennies on the dollar. With vacum and software etc.. Deals abound if you can live with a slightly used machine

MVIP

I have a Techno-Isel and have been more than happy with it.

Tolerances have been more than adequate for sign projects.

-Matt

Biker Scout

You might want to give PlasmaRoute.com call. His name is Steve, and they are built right here in the good'ole US of A!

They are affordable, extremely heavy, and have an nice reduction pulley on all X&Y Axis... this means smooth finishes even in acrylic. He is a former sign guy who built his business on high end CNC Routed Signs, and now just makes the machines.

We have zoned vacuum areas just like the big boys, but we only spent $12k, including delivery and software. (We later upgraded to V-Carve to make our signs, but still use Mach3 to run the machine)

Don't buy into what the larger named companies are peddling for $80k and up... because in the end, a CNC Router is just that... a router. Sure if you spend the money, you can get Spindles, Tool Changers and more bells and whistles, but if you just want to get in the CNC game, you really only need XY&Z.

Truth is, if you were so inclined, you could build your own for about $4k... a working machine too... there's many forums dedicated to guys who build their own, and there's really no wrong way to build one, as long as it's heavy base. Don't get the ones with extruded aluminum bases, and side rails... too much flex. Those are fine if you only want to plasma cut, because there's not side loading on a tool cutting into a material.

Biker Scout

I should add that I've been shopping for a router (or plasma) table for nearly 4 years, even before I started my business. At first I wanted a ShopBot, then I switched ideas and wanted a plasma table, and was going to go on the cheap and get a PlasmaCam. But after learning everything I could absorb about CNC, Routers, Plasma etc... I looked elsewhere from those brands.

If you start getting into proprietary stuff, you are at their mercy for tech support. Their software, their controllers, their plot language. Means when you need to fix or repair something, you can't just run down to an electronics store or call your buddy who knows electronics in his sleep. When you are dealing with industry standard motors, gears, controller boards, you can fix and diagnois problems much faster, and cheaper too. (Not that I can't call PlasmaRoute if I've got a problem)

iSign

I will concede that I did not do as much research as others have & would have to believe what they say about lower cost options. I chose not to go that route, mostly from a time standpoint, after 12 years of business growth, & ever increasing demands on my time... but the economy has somewhat changed the time:money availability ratio... so, while I don't plan to be one of those guys having to sell his equipment for pennies on the dollar... my decision to go big has put some extra pressure on me.

I have heard of a great deal of ShopBot owners spending somewhere closer to the $30K range & being quite happy with the results, as well as having a users forum where they can tap into a great deal of help, much like what we have here.

If you can follow Biker Scouts lead & get something for half that or less... well, maybe I was wrong about your budget being too low.

(although I spent more than $20K just on my build-out, new 100 amp electrical service w/ 3-phase electric, & the new dust collection system, & compressor)

Biker Scout

Yeah, I ended up wanting to build my own... but like you, time became a factor and within about a week I had secured funding and opened the doors of my shop. So, I was able to purchase a nicely built machine, and have it delivered faster than it would have taken me to make myself. It was going to be a hobby machine turned business machine. But things happened so fast, I kinda had to jump in with both feet.

Luckily, I had already done my homework, (4 years, and a solid written out business plan) and was prepared to pull the trigger on a pre-built. Went like this, "If I have the money I'll buy 'this' one, or if I have to piece one together, I'll buy 'these' components."

But now, I only have a $325 lease payment, and it's totally doable, even when it gets slow around here. A couple of banners makes my payments, even if the router table sits idle for a month at a time, I won't freak out. But like a good resource, it's there when I need it. Or just want to mess around and make cool stuff for no apparent reason.

Biker Scout

Here's a dinosaur I made on it last year for a friend. (in pic) He wanted it for his backyard/kids. It was cool project...took three 4x8 sheets!

Attachments

• Dino1.jpg
    Dino1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 108

iSign

Here's a dinosaur I made on it last year for a friend. (in pic) He wanted it for his backyard/kids. It was cool project...took three 4x8 sheets!
THAT'S AMAZING!

i was just thinking of trying to make something like those curvy tradeshow booths... but not as portable, just for my showroom... I was thinking of various snap together parts, so with the required curving shape (top, bottom & center) and some as a structural, snap-together, series of vertical ribs... and then skin it all with aluminum & digital prints... anyway, your Rex structure inspires me to take my idea more seriously!

But now, I only have a $325 lease payment, and it's totally doable, even when it gets slow around here. A couple of banners makes my payments, even if the router table sits idle for a month at a time, I won't freak out. But like a good resource, it's there when I need it. Or just want to mess around and make cool stuff for no apparent reason.

What's the router that has the $325 lease payment?

also, thanks for the input keep it coming!!

MVIP

THAT'S AMAZING!

i was just thinking of trying to make something like those curvy tradeshow booths... but not as portable, just for my showroom... I was thinking of various snap together parts, so with the required curving shape (top, bottom & center) and some as a structural, snap-together, series of vertical ribs... and then skin it all with aluminum & digital prints... anyway, your Rex structure inspires me to take my idea more seriously!

We did something like this, but we used komatex instead of aluminum. Worked well! Adhered it with lord adhesive.

So many possibilities!

-Matt

iSign

We did something like this, but we used komatex instead of aluminum. Worked well! Adhered it with lord adhesive.

So many possibilities!

-Matt

got pics? during & after construction?

(BTW, thanks for the encouragement on the NE M&G... spoke to Gino on the phone this morning... looks like this years travels will be to check in on my moms surgury next month... so probably not going to make it to gino's... but you guys can call me & I'll try to be drunk so we can understand each other! :toasting:)

MVIP

got pics? during & after construction?

(BTW, thanks for the encouragement on the NE M&G... spoke to Gino on the phone this morning... looks like this years travels will be to check in on my moms surgury next month... so probably not going to make it to gino's... but you guys can call me & I'll try to be drunk so we can understand each other! :toasting:)

I will try and dig up some pics tomorrow.

Basically i used 1/2" komatex for the frame, cut notches to give it some structural integrity over and above the adhesive, put it together like a puzzle and glued it. We then let that part set-up over-nite. Then ran a bead of adhesive on the edge laid the 3mm komatex on it and weighted it down until the adhesive dried.

It was awesome! And light too. Ours was just a radius, but could have been much more.

It was a backdrop for a Trade show booth!

Too bad you can't make it to the meet! We'll just have to come to hawaii!:thumb: