• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Earth Like Habitable Planet Found.

Dice

Gliese 581 g. 20.3 Light Years from Earth. In the Constellation Libra.

3.1 times the size of Earth, it orbits Gliese a Red Dward Star every 36.6 days. Taking into account the possible Atmosphere it's surface temperature is most likely Cold, but still life supporting from -24 F to 10 F in the perpetual twilight zone.

First Planet ever found to be in a Stars Habitable Zone to support an Atmosphere, Possibly liquid water, and possible life.

It was found by new techniques using the HIRES Spectrometer and the Keck Telescope in Hawaii. Using a new technique they are able to detect large objects moving more than 3 Meters per second near small stars. It is still not possible to detect planets near larger stars like our sun with current technology and current equipment. It maybe possible to find 1 new possible planet every week if a large telescope was dedicated to habitable planet finding 365 days of the year.

It is now thought that of all of the planets in the universe, up to 10 - 20% of them could support life.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they have 3 times the debt we have ?? That's a pretty big planet to support. Maybe they have a better system............. hope so.

Pat Whatley

Of course there's life out there somewhere, Earth was seeded by an alien race of lizard people who have infiltrated the government.

Steve C.

"Chariots of the Gods, man. They practically own South America…I mean, they taught the Incas everything they know.” --- John Carpenter's “The Thing”

Flame

Don't ya just love assumptions? I read the article, and I know they have no clue how hot/cold it is on there or if it can support life.

Can't believe this stuff makes the news. You know, I think there are gremlins living in the local sewers. I'm a gremlin expert, can I make headline news?

wes70

Gliese 581 g. 20.3 Light Years from Earth. In the Constellation Libra.

3.1 times the size of Earth, it orbits Gliese a Red Dward Star every 36.6 days. Taking into account the possible Atmosphere it's surface temperature is most likely Cold, but still life supporting from -24 F to 10 F in the perpetual twilight zone.

First Planet ever found to be in a Stars Habitable Zone to support an Atmosphere, Possibly liquid water, and possible life.

It was found by new techniques using the HIRES Spectrometer and the Keck Telescope in Hawaii. Using a new technique they are able to detect large objects moving more than 3 Meters per second near small stars. It is still not possible to detect planets near larger stars like our sun with current technology and current equipment. It maybe possible to find 1 new possible planet every week if a large telescope was dedicated to habitable planet finding 365 days of the year.

It is now thought that of all of the planets in the universe, up to 10 - 20% of them could support life.

I think this planet already has a Starbucks and a Sign-A-Rama!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If they gotta thosa cockaroaches.... they got all they need to get a planet started.............

cockaroaches.jpg

CES020

Maybe I'm stupid (okay, don't respond to that), but if something takes 20 light years to get to, doesn't that mean when we're looking at it, we're seeing what it looked like 20 light years ago? There could be nothing there now.

I asked a guy at a radio astronomy location a similar question. He was telling us all about what they found and could see so far away, and I asked him if they were seeing what it is today, or what it was when the light left the place. He said they were essentially looking at history, because they didn't have any way of looking at something that far away in real time. It takes light so long to get to their equipment, what they see could be over, or they could be looking at something that's an image from 1000's of years ago.

omgsideburns

Maybe I'm stupid (okay, don't respond to that), but if something takes 20 light years to get to, doesn't that mean when we're looking at it, we're seeing what it looked like 20 light years ago? There could be nothing there now.

I asked a guy at a radio astronomy location a similar question. He was telling us all about what they found and could see so far away, and I asked him if they were seeing what it is today, or what it was when the light left the place. He said they were essentially looking at history, because they didn't have any way of looking at something that far away in real time. It takes light so long to get to their equipment, what they see could be over, or they could be looking at something that's an image from 1000's of years ago.

A light year is how long it takes for light to travel in a year.

20 light years away means the light we are seeing is from 20 years ago. If it's not there anymore.. we'll know in 20 years.

That being said.. we haven't actually seen this planet, we only know it exists because of what's called the doppler effect..

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If they do find life there it could explain many of the strange things right here on earth....like Old Paint.

wayne k
guam usa