• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First kiln opening!!!

OldPaint

loaded it up with greenware, last nite 10-11 pm. started firing bout 11 pm. midnite i kicked it up to high fire. went out this morning bout 10 am and it was done. spent most of the day cooling down. opened it 6 pm. this was hennies 1st kiln opening ever. i checked the electric meter before and after, to see how much power it would consume. 14 kw. not bad for gettin 1650 degrees!!!! now we get to play in the chemicals.....GLAZE.......thats what most of the small square pieces will be. i can put a glaze on each to know what each glaze will look like at different cone firing.

Attachments

• pottery 074.jpg
    pottery 074.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 43
  • pottery 076.jpg
    pottery 076.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 50
  • pottery 077.jpg
    pottery 077.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 49
  • pottery 078.jpg
    pottery 078.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 54
  • pottery 079.jpg
    pottery 079.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 51

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Neat OP.
How many slices of toast will that thing do in one go?

wayne k
guam usa

Steve C.

That sure make me want to get back into pottery again OP. I always wanted
to build a gas fired kiln or at least a small gas kiln for raku.

OldPaint

iam workin on that to. i got 4 other kilns sitting outside. iam going to try a get one good BIG kiln from them. what i dont use for electric, i want to make a gas fired raku with a lift.
gut here in town does some awesome raku. he died wife still runs the place.

BobM

I just added a genuine, hand crafted, autographed, OP.......)))))))), Speedo Green, coffee mug to my Bucket List. Sounds like you're having a good time creating pottery. Glad you are healthy enough to do it.