Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First sign using new Matthew's mixing station

Discussion in 'Portfolio Board' started by SignManiac, Jul 19, 2012.

1. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    And in the new paint booth. Only wish I had done this years ago.
    The Green is Lime Lollipop, almost perfect match for Kawasaki green. Mixed from a PMS color and hit the color 100% perfect on our very first custom color mix attempt! 3' x 6' PVC sign.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    Damn. Looks incredible.

That must feel great.

3. john1

john1 Guest

Wow

4. CES020

CES020 Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    You mean you won't be heading to the home improvement store for sign paint? :)

Nice letters, nice colors.

5. IronHawk

IronHawk Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Fantastic! :readthread:

That's gotta get your brain racing at the possibilities...

6. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    looking good ... looking 'damn' good ... like i've said it is a great system. congrats on the latest addition to your sign 'empire' :)

7. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Now the fun will begin!

Looks Great!

8. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Matthews sign paint formulas are pretty pretty good and the PMS match is very accurate.

9. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    dunno what your are talking about with the matthews thing, but i will say that sign looks killer!

10. g&eprinting

g&eprinting Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Everett MA
    Nice!

11. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Thanks everyone. Yes my mind is racing at the thought of all the possibilities. I'm itching to paint something with the metallics :)

12. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

Looking good! :thumb:

13. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    signs looks awesome. not a big fan of matthews Ill stick with bc cc, but id does look great

14. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Visual I'm curious about what it is you don't like about the Matthews line of paint? Also, what is bc cc?

15. klemgraphics

klemgraphics Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Midwest
    That sign looks great, maybe some day I can convince my customers that they want something like that.

BC CC is Basecoat Clearcoat, automotive terms....great stuff but pricey and probably overkill

I've been wanting to find out more about Matthews for a long time, but everytime I ask Glantz about info and chip charts or anything they say they are going to send it and I never get it so I pretty much gave up at this point. Is it a single stage urethane or what exactly?

16. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Okay thanks for the clarification. I know what that is but I'm more of a spelling kind of guy and hadn't seen that acronym before.

Matthews is single stage urethane but you can also clear coat if you like. I went with satin setup along with gloss clears for when I want to go that route. My Orlando branch Glantz was great in getting me everything I needed. I'd definitely follow up on that and raise some hell.

17. Robert Boyd

Robert Boyd Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Atlantic City NJ
    Tell us more. Did you produce the lettering and what is the backgound.
    Is this an exterior sign and what is the life expectancy of the paint.
    Looks awesome

18. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    The sign is 3'h. x 6'w. The face is 3/4" PVC with a 3" HDU return on the edges to make it look thick. We cut the prismatic letters from the same 3/4" PVC. The smaller letters were cut from 1/4". I did a .06 deep hog out to inlay the letters. This way my guys can't screw up the spacing trying to figure out where everything goes. No way to predict lifespan of paint due to several factors, but I do expect to get a minimum of seven year if the client doesn't lift a finger to keep it clean, they never do. Dirt and grime will make it look like crap if they can't be bothered to wash it. That's okay, I'll gladly repaint it when the time comes and charge them plenty for it.

Oh and it's an exterior wall sign.

Here's an edge view.

Attached Files:

19. CES020

CES020 Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    Did you sand the letters after cutting the prismatic effect or did you get prime over what you cut? I can't see the detail that well, but it looks like you can see the step lines where the cutter moved up or down for the next cut. What brand of PVC is that, because the edges look really finished well.

Does the matthews primer fill really well? Or is fairly thin?

20. vid

vid Very Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    California
    Love the results!