• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First sign using new Matthew's mixing station

SignManiac

Did you sand the letters after cutting the prismatic effect or did you get prime over what you cut? I can't see the detail that well, but it looks like you can see the step lines where the cutter moved up or down for the next cut. What brand of PVC is that, because the edges look really finished well.

Does the matthews primer fill really well? Or is fairly thin?

Yes the letters are sanded to remove the edge. The PVC is whatever N. Glantz carries. I've been using it a long time and it does the job. Primer fills okay but if you want a really smooth surface, there's no shortcut other than taking the time to sand well.

visual800

I have used matthews and seen it powder out less than 2 years later, I dont know why maybe it our weather. BCCC is not overkill when your always painting with this stuff. I step out of the box and tried mathews and I didnt feel the love from it. thats my 2 cents

I do know of one other pylon that another compnay did it also looked horrible after a couple years. PaT Whatley that is the sign at Eastmont with the yellow poles. It was about 2 years and it started looking like crap.

SignManiac

Thanks for the input visual. I was told that it's critical to mix the catalyst precisely. I sent my top guy to their two day class and he learned an awful lot while there. I'll keep a close eye on everything we put out.

CES020

Where are you getting base coat/clear coat from that matches pantone colors? Every single place I've talked to looks at me like I'm insane when I mention Pantone colors. Now, if I want it to match a 1973 Buick, they can do that, but a Pantone color? Not so much. I've had extensive conversations with the "old timers" in the stores and they will look into it and see that some pantone information is available for certain paint lines, but if you just walk in and say you want bc/cc to match Pantone 387, it's about a 5% chance you'll get it. Have you found a good way to get around that, or do you have a source that's able to provide Pantone colors?

SD&F

Mathews is a great system and we never have any issue with matching. It's gonna be easier on you. Nice SIGN

visual800

Where are you getting base coat/clear coat from that matches pantone colors? Every single place I've talked to looks at me like I'm insane when I mention Pantone colors. Now, if I want it to match a 1973 Buick, they can do that, but a Pantone color? Not so much. I've had extensive conversations with the "old timers" in the stores and they will look into it and see that some pantone information is available for certain paint lines, but if you just walk in and say you want bc/cc to match Pantone 387, it's about a 5% chance you'll get it. Have you found a good way to get around that, or do you have a source that's able to provide Pantone colors?

I run into this PMS stuff and it gets so damn old. Everytime I do some business cards or do a vinyl sign I tell people:

Everything in this world is NOT going to match your pms color, your letterhead, your cards, your magnets your sign. There is no way it can. some are glossy some are matte finish. I can come as close as possible and noone but you and I will know, everyone else will thing it matches. We do not need to get caught up in 100% on spot matching PMS colors. When someone asks you about matchhig their PMS color, tell them you will come as close as po.ssible

CES020

That's exactly what we do tell them. However, I can't find local people that you can even have a dialogue with that want to help. It's the whole thing about spending time with a customer for a small order, when you can sit back and sell paint to body shops by the truck load. They just don't care enough to get engaged to help someone wanting to buy a quart of paint. In all the times I've tried that route, only one time did anyone ever even offer to pull a chip chart out and try and get close. It seems if they are in a helpful mood, you get help, if they aren't, then you get the "I don't know nothing about that" attitude, which you know is just a cop out.

I've really tried to use that paint, I just struggle to get the help from the counter people. I do take that back a little. There are generally a couple people that will help, sadly, those are the ones that don't know anything about paint or color, so you end up with a pile of crap.

It's been a big frustration of mine.

Gene@mpls

Mathews is a great system and we never have any issue with matching. It's gonna be easier on you. Nice SIGN

Could you or SignManiac post a picture of the system? In the bodyshop
we had a mixing bank with (guessing) 80-85 mixing colors always stirring.
That was basecoat of course. Thanks Gene

SignManiac

The top two shelves are the primary base mixing colors. The bottom row is all of the metallic mixing bases. My setup has a manual mixing timer that turns off after 15 minutes. You only need to hit it once in the morn, again mid afternoon, and before you leave for the day. Your colors are mixed by weight and the scale is incredibly sensitive.

You only have about 20 gallons on the shelf to mix everything. They even have a pearl additive for flip flop colors and an assortment of clears.

Attachments

• mixing station.jpg
    mixing station.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 90