• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First stab at foam

aandrews19

Just like everyone else here... I was very inspired by Charlie's (RogueRoller) work. Charlie's work is so good that it has even gotten my father so excited that he is up and moving around again. He was so fired up to get working on something, so we made an inexpensive hot wire table, and ordered a few tools.

This sign is for nothing other than the learning process. Still a work in progress... but this is where we're at. Letters and shoe are not attached yet. Going to call about some StyroSpray on tuesday so we can get this thing coated and painted.

Would you guys recommend mounting the letters and the shoe before coating, or coat seperately then mount?

Would just like to say thanks to Charlie for breathing some life back into my father!!

Attachments

• Photo May 27, 10 01 56 PM.jpg
    Photo May 27, 10 01 56 PM.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 206
J

john1

Hell yeah man!

That looks awesome.

I too want to get into this type of work as there is NOTHING like this around here.

Where did you learn to start this type of signage at?

HulkSmash

Just like everyone else here... I was very inspired by Charlie's (RogueRoller) work. Charlie's work is so good that it has even gotten my father so excited that he is up and moving around again. He was so fired up to get working on something, so we made an inexpensive hot wire table, and ordered a few tools.

This sign is for nothing other than the learning process. Still a work in progress... but this is where we're at. Letters and shoe are not attached yet. Going to call about some StyroSpray on tuesday so we can get this thing coated and painted.

Would you guys recommend mounting the letters and the shoe before coating, or coat seperately then mount?

Would just like to say thanks to Charlie for breathing some life back into my father!!

Awesome. How did you go about making a hotwire table?

aandrews19

Awesome. How did you go about making a hotwire table?

searched around to see how others constructed theirs. Basically just a guitar string, mounted with an aluminum arm, some plywood, and a power supply. the only thing I had to purchase was the arm, everything else was already laying around the garage.

CheapVehicleWrap

Charlie's work is so good that it has even gotten my father so excited that he is up and moving around again.

That alone is priceless. Perhaps THIS Charlie IS the Angel?

Great looking first foam! If the shoe fits...

I would seal them individually since you're mounting on wood & not foam.

aandrews19

That alone is priceless. Perhaps THIS Charlie IS the Angel?

Great looking first foam! If the shoe fits...

I would seal them individually since you're mounting on wood & not foam.

that 'wood' is actually foam made to look like wood.... so i'll consider it a success! haha

J

john1

What type of glue do you use to mount the foam pieces onto each other?

aandrews19

Well... here is is all painted and assembled. The letters still need to be touched up a bit.

I'm not completely happy with the texture of the coating. Used a poly foam coat from Demand Products. It's a brush application... I'm thinking the styro spray will give me a smoother finish.

EDIT: not sure why the upload rotated my pics, but oh well.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 03, 7 11 19 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 03, 7 11 19 PM.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Photo Jun 03, 7 11 33 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 03, 7 11 33 PM.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 205

RogueRoller

I'm so pleased I was able to help you and your father by sharing some of the gifts god has given me.

Ran into the post and it had me in tears. You now have one more wonderful memory that I hope will stay etched in there when you need it most. I'm blessed by knowing I have a small part of it.

If you would like to call I would be honored to talk with you both about your beautiful sign. I set you a Personal Message. God bless

jfiscus

Rap Master
Where do you buy foam blocks to give this a try? Do any of the regular national suppliers carry them, or are there specific suppliers that I should contact?

aandrews19

Where do you buy foam blocks to give this a try? Do any of the regular national suppliers carry them, or are there specific suppliers that I should contact?

I used regular insulation foam board from Lowes. Could probably pick some up at almost any hardware store!