• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First time poster prepared for the worst.

lukewarmtea

Note: The following few paragraphs are just an introduction of myself, as a new member, and request to the community. Feel free to scroll down to the image below!

First off let me just extend thanks in advance for ANY and all criticism, advice or other that I receive. My formal education and training in sign making or design is literally zero. I request that you don't hold back, let me know where I messed up and if you're feeling generous I would truly appreciate any information or clues as to what principle(s) I violated.

The next point I should make clear is I am not a professional sign maker. I came to signs101.com because my obsession with CNC led me to build a CNC machine and later discover some works by SignManiac, who is truly an inspiration. Now I find myself in a position where a friend wants me to design and cut him a sign, and with no related education or experience I cannot properly judge my own work. I understand your frustration with people like me who come and seek help before reading Mastering Layout by Mike Stevens. I have gone ahead and ordered it but in the meantime I am hoping to get some advice on my early attempts.

Attempt Number 1: Simple

I tried to keep this as simple as possible. Comments?

Attachments

• Kristoff.jpg
    Kristoff.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 95
J

john1

I would also highly recommend Logo Design and Logo Design 2 by Dan Antonelli. You can pick them up on Amazon for $25 each and they are tailored to logo design in the sign and vehicle advertising industry

J

john1

I know it seems like "man i want to get into logo and sign design without spending money on books" but you will be amazed at what these books can teach you. Especially since it's geared towards this industry in general.

lukewarmtea

No I completely agree its worth spending the money to get the proper books to educate yourself. I'm not 100% certain I'm going to be going down the sign making path, but I will get them.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
really nothing to critique, it's two words, two fonts, basically two fonts that never should be together.

put this one on the bottom of the pile and do another one. you'll have to step away from a design and try a totally different angle to really get something special. keep pumping out designs, one will start looking good, then tweak that.

just putting two words. with two different fonts isn't really effort.

very interested in the CNC you built, sounds like something fun to do.

lukewarmtea

Thanks for the input ddlarklak. You're probably completely right. I'm so new at this that I actually kind of like the font combination :doh:

ForgeInc

I won't go into specifics, honesty there is a lot wrong and you need to learn basics before you understand the kind of critiques you'll likely receive. I think the best path for you, (if you really want to learn this craft and have patience for it) is to design say 10 different options. I'm talking totally different concepts (not just a color tweak here and there...colors, fonts, basic layout, composition, etc.) Then post what you think is your best 5. Or maybe 3?

Give it a shot, and we can get specific from there on why one works better than the others, etc.

good luck, and welcome!

lukewarmtea

CNC Machine

Thanks for all the responses guys, I will repost some more ideas once I get to read Mike Stevens book when it comes in and I have a better understanding what I'm doing!

Some people asked about my CNC machine. A friend and I have built a 4' by 4' CNC wood router/plasma table over the course of a year. Most of the actual building only took a few weeks but waiting for parts to be shipped from ebay was the real killer. Building this machine was a huge learning experience and continues to challenge us today.

Throughout the build we often tried the do-it -yourself approach as it has been just a hobby. This approach resulted in us achieving among other things: basic aluminum casting, designed and successfully built/programmed a 3 phase 600V 20Amp Variable Frequency Drive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDg_Az-_Qz0&feature=feedu_more and installed a stepup transformer and phase converter in my shop to get 480V 3 phase.

Now that 95% of the physical build is complete we have spent a considerable amount of time learning CAD/CAM software, reading books on proper GCODE techniques, and general tweaks to get the machine to be as user friendly and intuitive as possible. Our first table has some flaws however, mostly table size and maximum velocity during rapids (limited to 300 inches per minute). Plans are in the works for a second larger 10X5 CNC table.

Although the CNC machine functions quite well many mistakes were made. The learning experience was well worth any expense or investment of time. I'll attach a few photos taken from awhile back, quite a bit has changed now and the shop has been cleaned up.

Attachments

• IMG_2680.jpg
    IMG_2680.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 78

SignManiac

Luke, glad I can be an inspiration to you. My hat off to you for undertaking such an ambitious project. I'd never have the patience to build my own table. But I imagine you will have a great deal of personal satisfaction once it's up and running.

As for your design, you must first identify clearly what it is being used for when designing any sign or logo. In your case trucking. What is unique if anything about your friends business? Where is the sign going to be placed? What other forms of advertising has he done in the past? Does he have a current logo that he uses?

Psychology plays a huge part in every design I come up with. There are many parts to a good design that you must learn. Typefaces have distinct personalities and are extremely important that you choose just the right one. Color is also extremely important in your designs. The affect the moods of people and can be used to evoke an emotional response from the viewer. In my personal opinion, contrast is one of the most important design tools I work with. Contrast in color, fonts choices, negative and positive space, letter weights, etc. All of the contrasting elements are what when mixed together properly, create an interesting composition. This is where the art of design really factors in.

Read all the above books, and read Mike Steven's book three times. That's about what it takes before it really starts to sink in. One of the easiest ways to learn is buy a subscription to Sign Craft magazine. Study every sign you see by some of the most talented designers you will find under one roof. Examine their choice of fonts, colors, shapes, graphics. Try to ask yourself what it is you think makes them so good. Then when you sit down to design your own work, reflect on those signs for inspiration. Don't copy anyone's work exactly but use bits and pieces from all the different designs and create you own original design.

Keep posting your work on the forum for some honest but beneficial critique. Grow thick skin and you can learn. Good luck with the journey, it can be a lifelong one!

Terremoto

Another book I would highly recommend is Leslie Cabarga's "Logo, Font, and Lettering Bible". If you phone the 1-800 number he's the guy that answers the phone and he'll sign your book before he sends it off. He come's from a signmaking background as his dad was a signmaker for the Army or something like that.

Of course Mike Stevens' "Mastering Layout" is indispensable.

lukewarmtea

SignManiac

Thanks for the tips, I look forward to being able to manipulate the subtle details of a sign to evoke emotions as I learn the basics.

I came up with something I thought was interesting. It uses the standard street light colors (trucking related), and contains the company initials in...negative space?

Comments appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• Logo.jpg
    Logo.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 63

lukewarmtea

A few alterations. This whole concept might just be a bad one though, moving on to new ideas.

Attachments

• Logo1.jpg
    Logo1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Logo2.jpg
    Logo2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 72

lukewarmtea

Was looking at the colors, the more I looked the more horrible they became. Blue is a trustworthy color I read, and black and white seem to go well with anything. Maybe a bit better?

Attachments

• Demo4.jpg
    Demo4.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 79