• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flatbed printer cell phone cases?

DCSMITH

ok we print tons of phone cases we print a template onto a foam board which is the outline of the phone case we then have to line up each phone case exactly in the lines of that print to get out actual print to line up on the case does anyone know of a faster more efficient way on the setup time for this?

Robert M

laser or cnc

Find a shop with a router or a laser and have them cut you the templates out of plastic. Get two made so you can load one while the other is in the printer. What kind of printer do you have?

DCSMITH

+1 to having a pocketed jig or 2 routed up - just drop the cases in the holes and press go
that sounds great because the line up issue is insane and the reject rate is through the roof and the time spent on loading templates is ridiculous we just purchased this machine back in january so were trying to work out the kinks thanks for the ideas greatly appreciated hope it works!

petepaz

you should be able to make the jigs based on your first set up print. you can have someone with a router do it out of plastic and it will be more permanent but you can do it with foam board or sintra.
make your first test print on the carrier board then just glue or use dbl face tape to make the parts to hold the cases in place. we have a customer that we print elevator control panels for (1/8" thick polished steel) and we just make our jig out of card board or sintra. print on the carrier and then build up the walls around the edge and good to go. like already mentioned make at least two so you have a back up ready to print after the first comes through but if you are doing a large qty maybe make 3-4 to move the job along a little quicker

DCSMITH

you should be able to make the jigs based on your first set up print. you can have someone with a router do it out of plastic and it will be more permanent but you can do it with foam board or sintra.
make your first test print on the carrier board then just glue or use dbl face tape to make the parts to hold the cases in place. we have a customer that we print elevator control panels for (1/8" thick polished steel) and we just make our jig out of card board or sintra. print on the carrier and then build up the walls around the edge and good to go. like already mentioned make at least two so you have a back up ready to print after the first comes through but if you are doing a large qty maybe make 3-4 to move the job along a little quicker
see i have tried the double sided tape but we put that on by hand its just not accurate enough as it would be if a machine had done it and i think ill go with plastic because the foam board and cardboard gives in over time and changes shape when you line it up with the media pins and im definitely going to have three or more templates made because we are having trouble keeping up with orders we get them shipped literally on the day that they ship id like to get a few days ahead so were not so slammed all the time

artbot

maybe for applying the stops on your jig using some kind of silicone would be a better option. this would allow for minor adjustments to get the stops right on the line before the glue sets up.

as far as the general method, the printer will always set the target. using cnc/laser is way more complex. print on the loading board the exact positions of the phone cases. possibly scan them with a ruler so that you can scale them exact for printing, moving the outlines around in photoshop to your liking. then lay in gator board or if you really want to do it slick possibly use some kind of translucent silicone mold compound. or lay down a thick layer of clear silicone, wipe vaseline on the back of a phone case. let it set up then pull the phone case up. that should leave a cradle that is a copy of the phone case's shape.

Digiprinting

I do alot of things like this on my UV Printer. What I normally do it laser cut a acrylic Jig the size of the printer table and then just set the cases into it.
I just processed 600 I pad cases today using this method. If you dont have access to a laser for Cutting the Template It does make it a lot more interesting.
But I would be happy to help you get a template made if needed.

DCSMITH

I do alot of things like this on my UV Printer. What I normally do it laser cut a acrylic Jig the size of the printer table and then just set the cases into it.
I just processed 600 I pad cases today using this method. If you dont have access to a laser for Cutting the Template It does make it a lot more interesting.
But I would be happy to help you get a template made if needed.
can i get your info? im going to talk to my supervisor and see if we cant get you to make us some templates because we really need it and probly more than one for each of our items that we do

WalkerP

Do any of you guys doing phone cases know a source that I can buy just a few for ink adhesion testing? I found a few places online, but they're selling them in qtys of hundreds. Any better luck with one supplier over another? I'm hoping to not have to use a promoter.

WalkerP

So all the sublimatable cases work well with UV inks? What printer/ink set combo are you using? Do you need to pretreat?