• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 10 - VJ1204 - Illustrator gradients changing direction

bue95

Hey guys, I am having kind of a funny issue I have not experienced before. I am working with 2 VJ1204's, one is almost brand new running flexi10 and the other is 1.5 years old running flexi 8.6. On my new machine I am experiencing some strange gradient issues during output, the machine is printing gradients in the wrong direction or completely changing the length of the blend. This is happening with every vector file I print. However when working on the older 1204 and flexi 8.6 this problem is non existent and have never had it happen. Funny thing is that the artwork displays correctly in flexi 10, even when viewed in production manager before sending the print, the problem is only seen during output.

- All files are created in Illustrator CS5
- Have tried saving in several different formats
- art work displays correctly before sending the print
- using the exact same media and profiles on both machines

Attached is a image showing this issue starting with the original artwork in flexi, a representation of the new 1204 and flexi 10 ( did not have a print on hand to take a photo) and a actual print from the older 1204 and flexi 8.6

Any ideas? I feel like there has to be a simple explanation for why this is happening. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• gradiant issueflexi10.jpg
    gradiant issueflexi10.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 114

bue95

Update, I was wrong. You can infact see the gradiant issue in the production manager view before sending the print. I have attached 2 more pics, the first shows the graphic in flexi before sending to production manager, the second is the view from PM

view from flexi
flexiview.jpg

view from production manager
productionmanagerview.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe the RIP in V10 is interpreting the gradients in the eps file incorrectly. I have seen it happen before in Flexi 8 with rotated gradients.
Quick fix would to flatten to a tiff & print. If it is good then the error would be in how Flexi10 is reading in the file.

wayne k
guam usa

bue95

Bobby, I use a custom profile I built for this media type. I have both machines printing exactly the same when it comes down to my base library of colors. The only output difference between the 2 is the gradient changes I am experiencing when the file reaches production manager.

GAC05 - it is only a issue with vectors, rasterized files print normally. However I do not want to rasterize my files and lose quality and effect my profiling.

os101king

I have gotten the same in 8.1.1 AND 10.5.1. No solution so far. I'm experiencing the same sort of effect with the new transparent shadow tool. They never seem to print the same, no matter the profile. I just ran two identical pieces of art, both with the exact same shadow settings. One is dark the other light.

I'm settling with the "computer programmers are useless p***ks" explanation.

Last edited by a moderator: